All new stuff, won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > All new stuff, won't start

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
skstobaugh
1987 YJ Wrangler 

All new stuff, won't start

I have a problem that my YJ will not turn over the starter with the key. I have a new starter, new solenoid, new battery, new neutral safety switch and the solenoid just engages but that is all it does. I checked out the solenoid with a voltage/ohm meter and it passes all test. When I have the key turned on to start I get 12v to the starter side of solenoid and to the connection on the starter. When I use jumper cables from the battery straight to the starter it will engage the starter. I replaced the neutral safety switch and the old one acts like the spring inside is collapsed. I thought about the ignition switch but it is activating the solenoid. Is there anything else thru the ignition that would stop it from starting? HELP this is driving me nuts.

skstobaugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

your wires are correct on the solenoid?

ohhh, i just thought of something. if hte solenoid mounting tabs are not grounding properly, the solenoid won't work. clean the metal under the arms that hold the solenoid to the firewall and then try starting. that got me on my 87 for a bit till someone commented on it to me. i cleaned and painted my firewall solenoid area when i replaced mine and had a no start condition afterwards
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
skstobaugh
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Everything is the same as when it was running as far as the wiring. I will double check the ground on firewall. I will run a ground wire to the mounting plate to be sure.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you have 12V on the back side of the solenoid and 12V at the starter, but it won't fire over unless you "jump" it, then I'd be on the ground wire. Your ignition switch is obviously closing its circuit to send voltage to the solenoid. The solenoid is allowing the voltage to pass to the starter. The hot side is getting to the starter, I'd be looking straight at the starter ground.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
skstobaugh
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rproject: You were right on the money. I hooked up a starter bolt ground wire to the frame and she fired right up. The thing I don't understand is the starter is bolted to the bell housing that is bolted to the motor that is grounded to the frame. And it was working before and all of a sudden it just quit. Anyways I guess it is what it is.

Thanks so much for your help.
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skstobaugh View Post
Rproject: You were right on the money. I hooked up a starter bolt ground wire to the frame and she fired right up. The thing I don't understand is the starter is bolted to the bell housing that is bolted to the motor that is grounded to the frame. And it was working before and all of a sudden it just quit. Anyways I guess it is what it is.

Thanks so much for your help.
You're welcome. Corrosion between the starter and flywheel housing?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The bolts are zinc coated for corrosion resistance. They are high impeadance and not a good ground.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
skstobaugh
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah. The grandson does go muddin' a lot. He is 17 and I (PawPaw) am his personal mechanic. So he thinks. Oh well at least it keeps him out of serious trouble.

Thanks again.
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I get some really nasty starter noise after a good mud outing. A good hose down of the starter usually cures it. A couple tikes I've had to pull the starter to clean the excess trail mud out of it.

Unread 10-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
skstobaugh
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I found the root cause. The factory braided ground cable from the firewall to the back of the motor was broke therefore no ground from the body to the motor. Now it makes sense.
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That ground does not carry any current. It is for ignition noise. If disconnecting that ground makes any difference then your battery ground or engine ground are bad. That ground will fail if it is used to carry that amount of current.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe that ground burned through when the engine or starter ground failed or was disconnected?
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Disconnect the strap and see if it's repeatable.
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
skstobaugh
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The strap is broken in half. I will disconnect the new ground I put on to the frame and connect it to the firewall and see if it starts just as an experiment to se if that was it. It almost has to be it because that is the only thing that changed. One minute it was starting and the next turn of the key it would not start, just click of the solenoid. I will let you guys know what happens. It's either that or it's the fact the starter all of the sudden somehow became ungrounded from the bell housing. I'm betting on the ground strap, but we will see. As soon as I can get my Grandson to stay still long enough I will try it and let you guys know.

Thanks again to all for your help.
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skstobaugh View Post
As soon as I can get my Grandson to stay still long enough ........

Pull the ignition wire from the starter solenoid in the middle of the night. That'll keep his happy feet on the ground for a few days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.