All about shackles - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > All about shackles

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #76
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Front track bar still on? That is usually the thing that screws up most folks.

Remove the track bar (if you still have it on) and then install the new shackles. Then deposit the track bar in Joe Dillard's favorite blue garbage can.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
How dare you recommend that!

I do agree, the tracbar can cause issues when trying to install the leafs.
There, fixed it for you!

Max

__________________
Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #77
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
THATS where mine is pulling now, i need it to go the other way.
Ditch the bar, permanently.

Max
__________________
Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #78
rob1208lv
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: las vegas
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Ditch the bar, permanently.

Max
I'll try again next week and report ..
rob1208lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #79
rob1208lv
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: las vegas
Posts: 55
I got the front ones on easy after taking the tracbar off.. Now I am trying to get the rear off these ones suck..
rob1208lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #80
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....
 
rustywrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 18,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
THATS where mine is pulling now, i need it to go the other way.
WOOPS, no what I ment was the track bar was pulling my suspension 1/2" to the drivers side. I removed the track bar and it went back to center.
__________________

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #81
rob1208lv
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: las vegas
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
WOOPS, no what I ment was the track bar was pulling my suspension 1/2" to the drivers side. I removed the track bar and it went back to center.
yes I got the front on no problem after I took the tracbar off,
now I can't get the back ones on. I have no problem taking the bolts out (didnt even have to cut them) my problem is I can't get the rear springs to budge meaning they just spring back into the frame.. what can I do to relieve the pressure? I have the jeep on a lift up in the air on all 4's but the rear springs just slam into the rear frame..
rob1208lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #82
rob1208lv
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: las vegas
Posts: 55
Never mind I got it the old lift between the frame and the spring trick.. thanks for everyones help..
rob1208lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #83
Rohdawg
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 41.0783N 72.3572W
Posts: 180
Yes I am reviving an old, but very informative thread.
So if I read through all this correctly I will be alright if I add shackles that net me 3/4 or 1 inch of lift without messing everything else up?
I'm just looking for a little more clearance on my 89 YJ with a BRAND NEW RC 2 1/2 lift.
I bought this Jeep a year ago completely stock and everything on it was original. Upgrading as I can afford it.
__________________
89 YJ, 4.2L I6 automatic, 2.5" RC lift, 1" RC Boomerang Shackles, 33x12.5 Trxus STS, Trac bars are in the blue trash can
Rohdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #84
skeeterbeater
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germantown, Ohio
Posts: 756
you said you have made shackles. can you do a wright up on it. i currently am broke and jobless so i feel if i can make it i will do it.
__________________
its not the biggest baddest rig on the trail, but i beat the hell out of it and have a good time.
skeeterbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #85
Echo5Sierra
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Porterville, CA
Posts: 4
This thread saved me some time. Thanks.
Echo5Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #86
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,209
Good article I think it should be a Sticky
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #87
GromMudder757
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 79
yo i love this thread it helps out alot
GromMudder757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #88
Wac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 17
Brandon,

You helped me on this thread a few years ago... another question... Here is a picture of my current shackles up front, 6" or so, bolt-to-bolt centerline from farthest two bolts. The problem I have is that in the back I have boomarang shackles... but in the front, this is what 4wd.com sent me. To me, they look almost vertical, and there isn't much "give" in the front dringing over bumps. Would a boomarang in the front help?? Any advice on what to buy?? Will a boomarang provide a better articulation and ride??
Thanks a bunch!!
Wac

Last edited by Wac; 11-25-2009 at 10:46 AM..
Wac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #89
bgredjeep
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wac View Post
Brandon,

You helped me on this thread a few years ago... another question... Here is a picture of my current shackles up front, 6" or so, bolt-to-bolt centerline from farthest two bolts. The problem I have is that in the back I have boomarang shackles... but in the front, this is what 4wd.com sent me. To me, they look almost vertical, and there isn't much "give" in the front dringing over bumps. Would a boomarang in the front help?? Any advice on what to buy?? Will a boomarang provide a better articulation and ride??
Thanks a bunch!!
Wac
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Wacker Family\My Documents\My Pictures\Ebay Photos & Videos\SDC13386[/IMG]
You can't post a pic from your hard drive for other users to view on the internet. You'll need to post the pic on a hosting site then link from that location.

Besides that, the shape of your shackle won't have any effect on your shackle angle. This is related to your spring length. It is possible that you tightened the shackles too tight when installing them so the springs are not able to freely settle or move when you hit a bump. If you tightened the bolts very tight during the install, just back them off a little. Personally I just add some threadlock and tighten until there is no play between the shackle and the bushings.

Its also possible that your lift springs are just not as long at rest as the stock YJ springs. Nothing you can really do about that other than most the spring hanger a little closer to the shackle end of the spring (cut the stock hanger off and weld it back on closer to the other end of the spring).
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #90
Wac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
You can't post a pic from your hard drive for other users to view on the internet. You'll need to post the pic on a hosting site then link from that location.

Besides that, the shape of your shackle won't have any effect on your shackle angle. This is related to your spring length. It is possible that you tightened the shackles too tight when installing them so the springs are not able to freely settle or move when you hit a bump. If you tightened the bolts very tight during the install, just back them off a little. Personally I just add some threadlock and tighten until there is no play between the shackle and the bushings.

Its also possible that your lift springs are just not as long at rest as the stock YJ springs. Nothing you can really do about that other than most the spring hanger a little closer to the shackle end of the spring (cut the stock hanger off and weld it back on closer to the other end of the spring).
Thanks! Take a look at the pic I posted... I keep my bolts @ about 25'lbs of torque w/ thread lock... so pretty loose as well. Just wondering if the springs would move easier or absorb more of the shock rather then transfering to the cab, with a boomarang set up... since the upward pressure of the shackle I have would be almost perfectly vertical, thus creating resistance and transferring the bump shock to the frame etc???

My thoughts were similar to:
In order to bend a piece of metal rod that is straight, lots of force is needed when pushing from each end... if the metal rod is pre-bent a little, then the force needed when pushing from each end would be considerably less.... would this analogy work describing a boomarang vs. straight shackle like mine????
Wac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.