All about shackles - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > All about shackles

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #61
jordanw_125
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would like to think that as well.. I'll PM you Barrio about a 2.5 lift.

jordanw_125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #62
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanw_125 View Post
I bought some greasable boom shackles. They came off of a Jeep used, but they didn't come with bushings. Can I put rubber bushings in them, or am I restricted to greasable poly bushings? Are all bushings greasable?
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was not on the forum while this thread was bumped, so I missed your question.

So long as the bushings are fluted they will work as expected with greasable bolts.

What is "fluted" you might ask?
Look inside the bushing. Do you see ridges molded into them that span the length of the bushing? Those are the flutes. Is it these flutes that hold the grease in there as well as allow it to work around the bushing pin.

I am not aware of any aftermarket "poly" bushings that do not come with these flutes.
Likewise, I am not aware of any rubber OEM replacement bushings that do come fluted. But that can eaily be remedied with thin rat-tailed file, or grooved guitar string, etc.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #63
jordanw_125
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's great. Thanks alot!
jordanw_125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #64
black954
1978 CJ7 

Here's a question for you.
I'm building a CJ7 for the dunes on a budget. My main goals are to get a long travel suspension on leafsprings.
My plan is to do a shackle reversal up front and use YJ springs in the process mounted under the axle. I was thinking of using the superlift superide 3.5" springs with stock length boomerang shackles. I am making my own shock mounts for the longest travel shocks that fit under the hoodline up front and I was going to use the same length shocks in the back that will protrude through the rear floor mounting to a custom cross member spanning the rollcage. I was thinking of using the adjustable remote resevoir ProComp shocks in the 10"-12" travel length. I'd like to keep the center of gravity as low as possible to help with handling and I was planning on using a front sway bar also.
Any insight would be helpfull thanks!
black954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #65
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Are your plans to use stock length CJ shackles or stock length YJ shackles? YJ shackles are 4" bolt-to-bolt, whereas CJ shackles are 4" bolt-to-bolt.
I have actually put CJ size shackles on a YJ before, and they fit, but I don't think a center support bolt can be used in them (not 100% sure there)... although I don't see much of a chance of shackle inversion with 3" shackles on a YJ.

Or did I totally miss what you were getting at in your post?
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #66
black954
1978 CJ7 

I was going to use stock length YJ boomerang shackles with no center pin
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #67
black954
1978 CJ7 

I wasn't really getting at anything, I more just wanted to know your opinion on the set up i'm planning or your suggestions to get a long travel leaf spring suspension. You really seem to know what your talking about in leaf springs and shackles and I am going at this with no other direction than what I can speculate to work well.
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #68
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ahhh, I see.
I think an open discussion would benefit you more than just my opinion to be honest. Most of the time I'm drunk and forget things.
And to be honest, I don't have enough experience with shackle reversals to give you an opinion on them that I would be happy with handing out. Yah, I'll admit that!

Seriously though, start an open discussion thread about it. I'm sure you'll get tons of useful stuff from many people, some more well versed than I... it's better than just one opinion.
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #69
black954
1978 CJ7 

will do, thanks
Unread 04-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #70
rob1208lv
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so i tried to install some shackles and followed all of brandon directions, and for some silly reason I couldn't even get the front ones in? The springs wouldn't line up with the frame. they where off to the right about 1". i had no problem moving the springs up or down, just couldn't from side to side.. is this normal I pryed the he double hockey sticks out of it and still no luck. I put the stocks back on for now.. I am thinking I'll just buy some posi style shackles to make my life easy.. any suggestions?
rob1208lv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #71
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
so i tried to install some shackles and followed all of brandon directions, and for some silly reason I couldn't even get the front ones in? The springs wouldn't line up with the frame. they where off to the right about 1". i had no problem moving the springs up or down, just couldn't from side to side.. is this normal I pryed the he double hockey sticks out of it and still no luck. I put the stocks back on for now.. I am thinking I'll just buy some posi style shackles to make my life easy.. any suggestions?
Front track bar still on? That is usually the thing that screws up most folks.

Remove the track bar (if you still have it on) and then install the new shackles. Then deposit the track bar in your favorite garbage can.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #72
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Then deposit the track bar in your favorite garbage can.
How dare you recommend that!

I do agree, the tracbar can cause issues when trying to install the leafs.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #73
rob1208lv
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Front track bar still on? That is usually the thing that screws up most folks.

Remove the track bar (if you still have it on) and then install the new shackles. Then deposit the track bar in your favorite garbage can.

Max
I'll try that, so the track bar will cause the leaf to shift a inch t the right?

Last edited by rob1208lv; 04-03-2009 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: messed up
Unread 04-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #74
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
I'll try that, so the track bar will cause the leaf to shift a inch t the right?
Pulled my setup 1/2" to the drivers side.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #75
rob1208lv
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Pulled my setup 1/2" to the drivers side.
THATS where mine is pulling now, i need it to go the other way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.