All about shackles - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > All about shackles

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #31
HGHSPEED
1987 YJ Wrangler 

K, thanks I'll have to look into it, any recomondations? I've seen a few on here that are that way, but it seemed a lil odd to me. I'm a new jeep guy though so wasn't sure. Thanks again.

HGHSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #32
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You've seen other Jeeps on the forum that don't have shackles in the rear?
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #33
HGHSPEED
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My bad never mind, after a closer look I see what must be oem shackles. These are much smaller than the front and black verses the bigger non painted ones on the front. Since it's all black they blended right in! DAR!! Probably what I thought I was seeing with other pics as well. Is the larger shackels on front just for the added flex?
HGHSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 11:45 PM   #34
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe the PO didn't have enough money to get two pair.
Or maybe they were installed to level the Jeep out.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
Unread 11-25-2008, 03:40 AM   #35
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

nice thread. i just thought id share what what i saw while driving down the road one day. a really nice looking lifted yj came off of a side street on rt 1. when i looked a little closer at it i noticed that the shackles had to be close to a foot long from bolt to bolt.
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #36
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Your mission now is to hunt down this YJ and take pics of us so we can start a "What Not To Do To Your YJ" thread.
Unread 12-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #37
CaptainJaxx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Brandon, great information. Can you explain what a "greaseable" shackle is, and it's purpose?
CaptainJaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2008, 12:58 AM   #38
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Greaseable shackles will come with bolts that are like this. They'll have a grease fitting at one end and the bolt is specially gun-drilled so that grease passes thru the bolt and exits the bolt in the sleeve area of the bushings.

This allows the sleeves & bushings to "glide" as they rotate within the eye of the leaf springs because of the grease. It also quiets them down and has less friction which allows the suspension to cycle more freely.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2008, 01:25 AM   #39
CaptainJaxx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! So can you put these bolts in any shackles? Or do they have to be specific shackles made for this type of bolt?
CaptainJaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2008, 01:28 AM   #40
burntoutfireguy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent explanation... I was thinking of going and getting me some shackles soon to compliment my 4" lift that i will be recieving on tuesday. This thread has really helped me consider what size shackles i want. And i love that you put a pic for the greasable shackles. excellent pic with a great explanation.
Gotta love those California smog laws... I guess since I am an evil non-hybrid owner they want to see me burn in the flames of Hell (fueled by only clean fuel sources, I'm sure)....
U.S. Coast Guard
burntoutfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2008, 02:29 AM   #41
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

As long as the bolt is the right size, yep, you can install 'em in an application that didn't already have the greaseable bolts.

What I like to do prior to assembly is, I grease the leaf spring eye by hand, as well as the bushings and sleeves. This helps to ensure grease is already in areas where it would take time to penetrate and cover the friction areas. I also like to grease my leaf pads and areas where high friction tends to be in the suspension.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2008, 02:38 AM   #42
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
As long as the bolt is the right size, yep, you can install 'em in an application that didn't already have the greaseable bolts.

What I like to do prior to assembly is, I grease the leaf spring eye by hand, as well as the bushings and sleeves. This helps to ensure grease is already in areas where it would take time to penetrate and cover the friction areas. I also like to grease my leaf pads and areas where high friction tends to be in the suspension.

You have a link to a site/supplier of said bolts, to enhance your description?
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #43
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i just bought a jeep and the PO has regualr stock shackles on but it came with straight shackels that measure 6in so a 1in lift. Should i just wait til i get a lift to put them on even tho that wont be for a while since i have no money. I know you said the right way to get the lift is a sus. Can i still put on the shackles now or should i just wait for the lift? THanks
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #44
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great thread and info fer us beginners!!!

I just purchased what I understand to possible be Brandon_YJ's last set of shackles on ebay - atleast for awhile maybe - I have since been PM-ing him to death with questions before I actually read all of this great info. Sorry man The last PM that I sent I would like to repeat here since I don't see the answer anywhere and maybe the other noob's can pick up on it as well.

More info on bolts, and Bushings. Sizes, type, and sources of purchase. I understand that they need to be grade 5 or 8 but not sure on the dimentions exactly. I have also located some bushings on ebay from Daystar but I wasn't sure if all bushings are created equal and of the same size?

Any help in this area would be appreciated!!!
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #45
ninjzx998
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Brandon, Great write up I read it after I did mine, just wanted to point out a couple of oversights in the first section for the front shackle install that would make it a litter clearer for noobs.

--OK, now you should have the shackles off and the bolts removed. In *most* cases the shackle-eye of the spring has curled up towards the spring,(S/B Frame) this is more common than it hanging lower (which happens on old stock or sagged springs).
The installation is pretty straight forward. Start by installing the shackle-frame end of the shackle first. But do not torque it down to specs just yet, just get it on there pretty good, a little side-to-side slop will help get the spring into the shackle easier.
As mentioned before, in most cases the spring has curled up towards the spring,(S/B Frame) This is where the bottle jack comes in to place.

Also wanted to add that a single high lift jack under the bumper will allow you to keep the wheel on the ground and will allow you to increase or decrease space for the shackles by jacking higher or lower (bottle jack may still be necessary)

PS if you edit original I will clear it out in my post to reduce clutter
ninjzx998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.