All about shackles - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > All about shackles

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #16
carl6405
1993 YJ Wrangler 

All those hoses you see are from my HHO cell. The one under the license plate is the drain. Dang, I should have blurred out the license plate.

carl6405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #17
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just blur the picture and reupload it, that should do it.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #18
thetrashman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i was lookign into lift kits for my YJ,
but i have read(posted above) that some shackles will prived a lift with them alone,
what are the best shackles to provide a lift/what(if anything) do i have to buy along with the new shackles/where can i get them?

im sorry if its a noob question but i rather get my info from the source.

My Build Thread
thetrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #19
HGHSPEED
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hey this is a great article, I was wondering though the YJ I got recently has shackles in the front but not the rear of the vehicle, is that ok, and if so why is it that way? Thanks
HGHSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 05:49 AM   #20
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrashman View Post
i was lookign into lift kits for my YJ,
but i have read(posted above) that some shackles will prived a lift with them alone,
what are the best shackles to provide a lift/what(if anything) do i have to buy along with the new shackles/where can i get them?

im sorry if its a noob question but i rather get my info from the source.
I'd keep looking for a lift kit, lifting by shackles alone isn't all that good of an idea, unless your springs are in really really good condition... and I doubt they are.
Plenty of people do lift their jeeps with just shackles, but if you can aford the lift kit, then that is thae "right" way to do it, then you can get shackles with 3/4" of lift to compliment the lift kit.

Just my two cents.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
Unread 11-24-2008, 05:50 AM   #21
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGHSPEED View Post
Hey this is a great article, I was wondering though the YJ I got recently has shackles in the front but not the rear of the vehicle, is that ok, and if so why is it that way? Thanks
Wait, what?!?!
Got pics?
You should most definitely have shackles in the rear.
Unread 11-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #22
denalione
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Brandon, since we know how long a spring is and the length between the inner spring mount and the shackle mount can't we know ahead of time how long a shackle we will need to get maximum range from a set of springs?
denalione is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #23
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denalione View Post
Brandon, since we know how long a spring is and the length between the inner spring mount and the shackle mount can't we know ahead of time how long a shackle we will need to get maximum range from a set of springs?
Yes.
Having AutoCAD I've become lazy over the years when it comes to remembering how to do mathematical problems by hand, but in CAD...
You'd draw an arch with the same length and radius as the springs, then you'd convert that arch to a line, then subtract the difference.

Having a computer has made me dumber
Unread 11-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #24
denalione
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can there be potential problems with this when the spring needs to contract? By this I mean that if I have 4" of lift and buy a shackle long enough to get full extension from the spring could that cause problems when I need the spring to contract in the other direction or because we are mechanically stopping the spring from contracting to far (to prevent shackle reversal) is this not really a problem I need to worry about?
Unread 11-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #25
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't thought about it much, or worked out the mechanics. But just off the top of my head I wonder if the springs would even be able to completely contract before some other mechanical issue comes into play. However, I think the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to preventing the kickback. Uoi have given me something to contemplate though.
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #26
denalione
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, another thing to think about. When the suspension flexes there seems to be a relationship between the extending spring and the contracting spring based on the angle of the axle. I'm not sure how to quantify this but if the relationships is fairly static throughout the flex then it seems to me that even if your shackle is long enough for full extension you still may not get it because the contracting spring is limited in its movement. When the contracting springs stops moving then the axle can no longer flex. If your axle can no longer flex then your extending spring stops extending regardless of how much reserve length you have. So while a longer shackle may appear to be useful in actuality it is too long. If this is the case then a shorter shackle may be better because it gives you all the functionality you can get with less risk of problems related to longer shackle lengths????
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #27
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This might explain why all of the major performance parts manufacturers who make shackles usually don't offer them in heights exceeding 3/4".
Maybe, once you get higher than that, you are not gaining any benefit from the shackle other than lift itself.
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #28
HGHSPEED
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well not sure if you can see it but theres shackles on the front but none on the back, atleast not that I can see!

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/cmcquilkin/Jeepster007.jpg[/IMG]
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #29
HGHSPEED
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thats try that again, here's the link, I'm still a newbie...

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/o...eepster007.jpg
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #30
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I definitely see them on the front.
I wonder why your PO removed them from the rear. Without the shackles, your springs don't articulate, they just bend. You really should get a set on the rear.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.