Airbox - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Airbox

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
geabaldyvx

Airbox

OK.. so my newly aquired YJ as been sounding funny.. at least to me it sounded funny... The guy I bought it from told me the previous people before him had but this cone style air-intake on it and that was what was making the racket I was hearing..

So, it was warm enough today and he had no idea when the last time the plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor were replaced so I decided to go ahead and do them. Pop the hood and low and behold, there it is.. looks like something even a ricer wouldn't put on his car... what is worse is they zip tied the damned thing to the steel brake lines off the master cyl... So, now I am in the hunt for a stock airbox to put back where it should and get rid of that awful noise it has created.. not to mention the fact that the hose off the top of the motor that runs back down to the airbox is just pushing it out onto the firewall.. again I am thinking this is creating a wonderful condition where my motor sounds like complete crap...

So, here is the deal.. Where exactly does that hose off the top of the motor run to? Am I right in assuming I am losing MPG or HP because it isn't in a closed system and is allowing cold air down into my motor not to mention anything else that happens to decide to find a new home?

geabaldyvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
paintguy

the hose is your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) hose -- it runs to and connects to the top of the stock airbox -- where is it running now? It just lets the valve cover "breath" so you are not loosing hp/mpg unless it is just block off and not letting the valve train "breath" -- if when you remove that inlet from the valve cover (oir the oil cap) and it is blowing a lot of air out that means you have piston ring "blow-by".
What motor do you have, the I6 or I4?
Unread 02-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
geabaldyvx

I have the 4 banger.. and right now it is pointed at my firewall and not connected to anything...
Unread 02-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just a thought, but if you back to the stock airbox it will make your motor more vulnerable during deep water crossings since it moves the intake to just below the front left headlight.

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
geabaldyvx

I'm not going mudding anytime soon.. and right now enough rain coming through the grill will put water into this ricer POS that is on there... makes K&N look like the Rolls Royce of filters...

Been looking at one of the AirAid boxes as an alternative even thought they use the silly cone style filters at least it is actually made the vehicle and not something that was meant to be the intake for a 3 cyl Geo Metro to make it sounds like it had 1 more cyl...

Last edited by geabaldyvx; 02-17-2007 at 02:37 PM..
Unread 02-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

So you bought a Jeep without looking under the hood first?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
geabaldyvx

LOL.. honestly... Yes... but I also bought it from someone I trust... and I know he had looked under the hood... he told me about some of the screwball stuff under their... and most of isn't anything to worry about... besides.. it needs a new slave cyl and the 4wd wasn't working.... he fixed the 4wd and has it scheduled to get the slave fixed... he doesn't even own it and it's been paid for to be fixed.. like I said not worried... other than a few computer controlled items like FI... it isn't any harder to work on than my binder was..
Unread 02-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #8
RealJeep

Wow, I would never buy a car without looking under the hood. Just get a K&N and throw it in there.
1992 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0L HO, Dynomax exhaust, Kc daylighters, 4" pro comp suspension lift, 33x12.50 BFG MT's, 15x10 rockcrawlers, hurst shifter, Off-road bumpers, SYE, 2-10's, MM 8000 Winch, ARB Snorkel, MORE Boomerangs, CB
RealJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
got_4_lo

we can't give you advice until we see a picture of this intake.

hopefully a simple K&N or AFE will be all it needs.... but you might need to replace the intake tubing if it's redneck-engineered enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTJ
I came home to be spit on and protested against in Boulder, Colorado. Most of the people have no clue. And that's why we do what we do. We give up our freedom so they can enjoy their freedom.
got_4_lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
paintguy

check this out -- anybody ever seen or used this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230093316496
Unread 02-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #11
Monk89 94 I4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJfalcon
Just a thought, but if you back to the stock airbox it will make your motor more vulnerable during deep water crossings since it moves the intake to just below the front left headlight.

and your assuming that the ziptied no cover cone is much better?
Unread 02-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
geabaldyvx

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_4_lo
we can't give you advice until we see a picture of this intake.

hopefully a simple K&N or AFE will be all it needs.... but you might need to replace the intake tubing if it's redneck-engineered enough.

Ask and ye shall receive... here are photos of my rig.. along with the redneck engr. airintake

The Old Toy...

The New Toy...

The Intake

Last edited by geabaldyvx; 02-18-2007 at 03:04 PM..
Unread 02-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk89 94 I4
and your assuming that the ziptied no cover cone is much better?
MUCH better... no. Higher though. It sounds similar to what I use when I go mudding (not often- I hat ethe cleanup and everything grinds and squeeks after). Normally I use the stock airbox, but I have a clamp on air filter that moves the intake up about 6 inches and puts it farther back by the battery (since water crossing kind of pushes a wave in front of you that makes the water deeper on the grill).

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
got_4_lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by geabaldyvx
Ask and ye shall receive... here are photos of my rig.. along with the redneck engr. airintake

The Old Toy...

The New Toy...

The Intake
forbidden - linky no workie

Quote:
I came home to be spit on and protested against in Boulder, Colorado. Most of the people have no clue. And that's why we do what we do. We give up our freedom so they can enjoy their freedom.
Unread 02-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
got_4_lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintguy
check this out -- anybody ever seen or used this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230093316496
I wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole. especially the filter.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.