Air Tank Placement Ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Air Tank Placement Ideas

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Air Tank Placement Ideas

Please don't move this thread, I want input from the YJ guys specifically.

I got rid of my 5 gallon air tank, and I got a little 2 gallon tank to replace it. Now I am trying to figure out where to put it. I was just going to mount it under the rear part of the tub above the axle, but after re-measuring I realized that doing so would not give me enough clearance. If I hit a bump hard enough, my rear U-joint would hit the tank.

So now I have a couple more options....... I can change the rear axle vent and gain enough clearance to mount the tank parallel (and next) to the driveshaft over the rear axle, I can mount the tank on my swing-away tire carrier, or I can put the tank under the front part of the tub right next to the rear driveshaft. I was running my five-gallon tank there, and I don't really want to put this tank there, but it seems it will fit best in that spot. It will certainly fit a lot better than the five gallon tank did.

I know a lot of you run portable tanks and just hook it up in the back. I can't really do that because I have horns, so it needs to be permanently mounted. I suppose mounting it on the fender well would work.......

Anybody have any more options?

”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Overhead
You built a 4cyl?

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've seen em run on the inner fender, up on the ridgeline for a longer 2gal tank what tank do you have to gie us an idea of what we're working with
Overhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 02-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
I've seen em run on the inner fender, up on the ridgeline for a longer 2gal tank what tank do you have to gie us an idea of what we're working with

It's 17" long and 7 1/2" tall. Ignore the compressor on it, I just have the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I have a York, so that's moot.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have mine on the rear fender. I think it's about 3g.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dude, nice YJ.

My wife is telling me just to put it under the Jeep where I had the other tank. I'm thinking it may work best considering that when the family goes wheeling, there is no room inside the Jeep for an air tank.
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
JST42LN
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is an air brake tank from a Kenworth. fits nicley between the frame and the drive shaft
can't get the pix to post
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a center console?
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST42LN View Post
Mine is an air brake tank from a Kenworth. fits nicley between the frame and the drive shaft
can't get the pix to post
Yeah, so was my old one. Way too long though. I had to change the brake fitting on the rear axle so I could scoot it back far enough to not rub on the transfer case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
Do you have a center console?
Yes, I do.
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Yeah, so was my old one. Way too long though. I had to change the brake fitting on the rear axle so I could scoot it back far enough to not rub on the transfer case.

Yes, I do.
pull it out, mount the tank, then rebuild a new one over/around it. or modify your current one.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
pull it out, mount the tank, then rebuild a new one over/around it. or modify your current one.
That is not a terrible idea, especially considering I want an ammo can console and this tank already has a mount on top of it.
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got myself a small air tank from a Kenworth, intended to run it's air horns. About a foot long a 1/2 a foot wide(perhaps 2 gallons?)
Mounted it under the battery tray.
jeepster93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
JST42LN
1989 YJ Wrangler 

put mine inside frame rails. kenworth air tank
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #14
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome
Please don't move this thread, I want input from the YJ guys specifically.

I got rid of my 5 gallon air tank, and I got a little 2 gallon tank to replace it. Now I am trying to figure out where to put it. I was just going to mount it under the rear part of the tub above the axle, but after re-measuring I realized that doing so would not give me enough clearance. If I hit a bump hard enough, my rear U-joint would hit the tank.

So now I have a couple more options....... I can change the rear axle vent and gain enough clearance to mount the tank parallel (and next) to the driveshaft over the rear axle, I can mount the tank on my swing-away tire carrier, or I can put the tank under the front part of the tub right next to the rear driveshaft. I was running my five-gallon tank there, and I don't really want to put this tank there, but it seems it will fit best in that spot. It will certainly fit a lot better than the five gallon tank did.

I know a lot of you run portable tanks and just hook it up in the back. I can't really do that because I have horns, so it needs to be permanently mounted. I suppose mounting it on the fender well would work.......

Anybody have any more options?
5 gallon tank where yours was, but the yj is lifted, so maybe thats why there is clearance.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.