Air Tank Placement Ideas - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Awesome
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,520
Air Tank Placement Ideas

Please don't move this thread, I want input from the YJ guys specifically.

I got rid of my 5 gallon air tank, and I got a little 2 gallon tank to replace it. Now I am trying to figure out where to put it. I was just going to mount it under the rear part of the tub above the axle, but after re-measuring I realized that doing so would not give me enough clearance. If I hit a bump hard enough, my rear U-joint would hit the tank.

So now I have a couple more options....... I can change the rear axle vent and gain enough clearance to mount the tank parallel (and next) to the driveshaft over the rear axle, I can mount the tank on my swing-away tire carrier, or I can put the tank under the front part of the tub right next to the rear driveshaft. I was running my five-gallon tank there, and I don't really want to put this tank there, but it seems it will fit best in that spot. It will certainly fit a lot better than the five gallon tank did.


I know a lot of you run portable tanks and just hook it up in the back. I can't really do that because I have horns, so it needs to be permanently mounted. I suppose mounting it on the fender well would work.......


Anybody have any more options?


100 Characters is not enough to have an interesting/relevant signature.
Awesome is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Overhead
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sterling
Posts: 1,388
I've seen em run on the inner fender, up on the ridgeline for a longer 2gal tank what tank do you have to gie us an idea of what we're working with
Overhead is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon
Posts: 20,368

Luck Favours The Prepared
Anticanman is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Awesome
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
I've seen em run on the inner fender, up on the ridgeline for a longer 2gal tank what tank do you have to gie us an idea of what we're working with


It's 17" long and 7 1/2" tall. Ignore the compressor on it, I just have the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I have a York, so that's moot.

100 Characters is not enough to have an interesting/relevant signature.
Awesome is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-10-2013, 09:41 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 18,002
Garage
Have mine on the rear fender. I think it's about 3g.


.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Awesome
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,520
Dude, nice YJ.

My wife is telling me just to put it under the Jeep where I had the other tank. I'm thinking it may work best considering that when the family goes wheeling, there is no room inside the Jeep for an air tank.

100 Characters is not enough to have an interesting/relevant signature.
Awesome is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 05:32 AM
JST42LN
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 87
Mine is an air brake tank from a Kenworth. fits nicley between the frame and the drive shaft
can't get the pix to post

89 YJ 4.0L stroked, 4" springs, auto,35's, custom front and rear fenders
95 ZJ 5.2L 3.5 IRO 31's
JST42LN is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Poke
runtime error = 0
 
Poke's Avatar
2015 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,096
Do you have a center console?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana
don't post threads that poke Poke!
Poke is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Awesome
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST42LN View Post
Mine is an air brake tank from a Kenworth. fits nicley between the frame and the drive shaft
can't get the pix to post
Yeah, so was my old one. Way too long though. I had to change the brake fitting on the rear axle so I could scoot it back far enough to not rub on the transfer case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
Do you have a center console?
Yes, I do.

100 Characters is not enough to have an interesting/relevant signature.
Awesome is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Poke
runtime error = 0
 
Poke's Avatar
2015 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Yeah, so was my old one. Way too long though. I had to change the brake fitting on the rear axle so I could scoot it back far enough to not rub on the transfer case.



Yes, I do.
pull it out, mount the tank, then rebuild a new one over/around it. or modify your current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana
don't post threads that poke Poke!
Poke is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Awesome
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
pull it out, mount the tank, then rebuild a new one over/around it. or modify your current one.
That is not a terrible idea, especially considering I want an ammo can console and this tank already has a mount on top of it.

100 Characters is not enough to have an interesting/relevant signature.
Awesome is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM
jeepster93
Registered User
 
jeepster93's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Englewood, CO
Posts: 4,404
Got myself a small air tank from a Kenworth, intended to run it's air horns. About a foot long a 1/2 a foot wide(perhaps 2 gallons?)
Mounted it under the battery tray.
jeepster93 is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 PM
JST42LN
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 87
put mine inside frame rails. kenworth air tank

89 YJ 4.0L stroked, 4" springs, auto,35's, custom front and rear fenders
95 ZJ 5.2L 3.5 IRO 31's
JST42LN is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 PM
gtg413i
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome
Please don't move this thread, I want input from the YJ guys specifically.

I got rid of my 5 gallon air tank, and I got a little 2 gallon tank to replace it. Now I am trying to figure out where to put it. I was just going to mount it under the rear part of the tub above the axle, but after re-measuring I realized that doing so would not give me enough clearance. If I hit a bump hard enough, my rear U-joint would hit the tank.

So now I have a couple more options....... I can change the rear axle vent and gain enough clearance to mount the tank parallel (and next) to the driveshaft over the rear axle, I can mount the tank on my swing-away tire carrier, or I can put the tank under the front part of the tub right next to the rear driveshaft. I was running my five-gallon tank there, and I don't really want to put this tank there, but it seems it will fit best in that spot. It will certainly fit a lot better than the five gallon tank did.

I know a lot of you run portable tanks and just hook it up in the back. I can't really do that because I have horns, so it needs to be permanently mounted. I suppose mounting it on the fender well would work.......

Anybody have any more options?
5 gallon tank where yours was, but the yj is lifted, so maybe thats why there is clearance.
gtg413i is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome