ahhh!?!? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ahhh!?!?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #46
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

disconnected battery reset codes then drove highway and town driving and check codes again and it has no trouble codes...also the symptoms are gone after reseting the ecu..for now i really dont know is the ecu going funky…

19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #47
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19renegade91 View Post
disconnected battery reset codes then drove highway and town driving and check codes again and it has no trouble codes...also the symptoms are gone after reseting the ecu..for now i really dont know is the ecu going funky…
Well, that's just weird. Maybe the ECU was compensating for old stored codes and that made it run weird. I would say try driving it normally a couple days and let us know if anything shows up.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #48
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Well, that's just weird. Maybe the ECU was compensating for old stored codes and that made it run weird. I would say try driving it normally a couple days and let us know if anything shows up.
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #49
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

meet my girlfriend, shes there lol...i appologise for picture size
p7030391.jpg   p7030394.jpg  
Unread 08-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #50
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You were in the default calibration. The ECU will go into default when any of the sensors it uses for closed loop operation through a fault and are out of tolerance. Until the key is cycled 5o times or the battery is cleared it will stay that way. It drives me nuts when I see people post up well I disconnected the sensor and it didn't run any different!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #51
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You were in the default calibration. The ECU will go into default when any of the sensors it uses for closed loop operation through a fault and are out of tolerance. Until the key is cycled 5o times or the battery is cleared it will stay that way. It drives me nuts when I see people post up well I disconnected the sensor and it didn't run any different!
does this explain why it has no trouble codes and runs fine now after unhooking the battery. nad are you saying after 50 drives my problem will come back..if not i dont understand why im driving you nuts .. i dont think unhooking the o2 sensor or not had anything to do with the problem.. that doesent matter anymore i dont think.. it still shows no codes and it runs great as of today, lots of power ... now like you were saying about not unhooking the battery to unhook the o2 sensor ....now listen i have a cold air intake and when i installed it i did not unhook battery either...so the ecu wouldnt know it has a part in which its able to take more air so would that have threw the ecu off.. and now that i did unhook batt and reset codes its learning to operate normally with this amount of air instead of with the stock air box..would that be a true statment
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #52
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is why it's running better now, no are no longer in the default calibration. If you disconnect another one of the sensors and it logs the code you will go back into the default calibration. No, the problem will not come back after 50 key cycles. The 50 cycles will clear a code that has been stored and reset the calibration on it's own if it hasn't been cleared by resetting the battery or a diagnostic tool. Yes, resetting the battery will force it to "learn" again with the cold air intake.
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #53
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
does this explain why it has no trouble codes and runs fine now after unhooking the battery.
Yes, this explains it. Pretty much what I said before about the ECU storing codes. This is why I *always* re-set the computer after doing engine work. Re-setting the computer by disconnecting the batt will force the computer to "re-learn" everything instead of running on old garbage. Nope, disconnecting a sensor won't make anything any different, for reasons that Que explained, its called the "limp-home" mode.
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #54
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
That is why it's running better now, no are no longer in the default calibration. If you disconnect another one of the sensors and it logs the code you will go back into the default calibration. No, the problem will not come back after 50 key cycles. The 50 cycles will clear a code that has been stored and reset the calibration on it's own if it hasn't been cleared by resetting the battery or a diagnostic tool. Yes, resetting the battery will force it to "learn" again with the cold air intake.
so in your experience ...the full throttle hesatation i was having could actully be simply from installing cold air intake ...without reseting the ecu. its been fine all day no codes and lots of power...it has a cat only to straight pipe no muffler..today is the best it has run in awhile so im sure it flows a lil better than stock. if so i cant believe all the stress ive been having over something so simple
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #55
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, even more so if any of the sensors were disconnected with the key on during the install. If you have an intermittant on a sesnor a fault code might pop back up, but if it does, now you know what to do until you get it repaired. Glad to hear she is running good. No muffler....the neighbors just got to love you when you start it up and drive around the hood in the mornin'! LOL
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #56
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so in your experience ...the full throttle hesatation i was having could actully be simply from installing cold air intake ...without reseting the ecu. its been fine all day no codes and lots of power...it has a cat only to straight pipe no muffler..today is the best it has run in awhile so im sure it flows a lil better than stock. if so i cant believe all the stress ive been having over something so simple
Man, you gotta unwind and un-stress enough to think these things through logically, once you know the basics of how its supposed to work.

Weird, mine actually runs *better* with the muffler, it makes it pull harder from low RPM's - more low-end torque.

Unread 08-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #57
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thanks alot guys , i still have no codes so all looks well...its not too loud the pipe still exits to the rear with the stock pipe that goes over the rear axle just removed muffles and put pipe instead. the muffler was toast i diddnt do that because i thought it was cool lol it was just cheap. now i will be able to attend pleasant valley mudbog in two days!! its quite a trip and i diddnt want to take the jeep if there was somthing wrong, thanks to you guys ill get to see some mud this weekend...i`ll post pics when im back from it...there are some heavy duty machines at this bog should be a blast i appriciate everybodys tolerance to my mind racing around and me overlooking everything , i`ll be back to post on monday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.