ahhh!?!? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ahhh!?!?

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Reply
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
19renegade91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: yarmouth, nova scotia
Posts: 145
took for another drive no symptoms at all , would this mean theres a chafed wire on somewhere? also the inside of the exhaust pipe is black

19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
19renegade91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: yarmouth, nova scotia
Posts: 145
yes pretty much what it was doing but it comes and goes it did it one day a few months ago and then went away so two months inbetween the two events and tonight it seemd fine again even wide open..clearly theres somthing undiagnosed here./..the maintenance required light is always on also
19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
fueljunkie
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Prescott Valley, Arizona
Posts: 287
Calm down Pilosi has your back. Just stay in California.
fueljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #19
19renegade91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: yarmouth, nova scotia
Posts: 145
i just would really be angry to get stranded somewhere haha i just want to figure out the problem, the inside of exhaust is really black, and the power loss surge buck under full throttle is only there sometimes..somthing half way crapped out? or half busted wire somewhere? its not the check engine light that is on its maint' req'd light..but the idle is almost perfect throttle response is ok...alsooo the gas tank isint plastic and if there was lots of nastys down in there could that be my problem coming and gooing? i know it clogged the fuel filter solid when i ran outa gas last time..im thinking there alots rust in there and maybe my new filter is clogging already too?????? what year jeep can i get a plastic tank from...im MPI high output 4.0l .....unrelated but how do you fix the structure of the body when i shut my doors the whole side of the body flexs in and out and its really squeaky its not just the door or the hinges...are there brackets to go inbetween the role bar and the side to stop this nonsense?
19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #20
Noltz
Registered User
YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 746
My 91 Renegade had a plastic tank. Someone probably swapped yours out for some reason at one point, or perhaps (as Jeep did in those days) they just used what was around that day. Any part-out 91+ should have a plastic tank you can use.

You need to start a new thread on the body repair issue. It's not easy to fix that, cuz there's no "support" way up in the corner. The tub on mine was repaired in that area too, but it still flexes. My '88 had teh same problem. My solution was to tack a short bolt between the roll bar and the striker area. WAYYYY better, nice solid feel.
__________________
-Noltz
'91 Frankenheep YJ. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, Titan 12k, 35" KM2's, rust.
'88 YJ, 4.2/4.0 head, +4" & shackles, BFG 33's (sold)
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 05:43 AM   #21
19renegade91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: yarmouth, nova scotia
Posts: 145
hello again, what are the problems people have had with non plastic gas tanks?!? also my problem i doubt is ignition in anyway because it seems to run like a top untill the throttle is almost to the floor then, it just stops accelerating and bucks like crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy buckety buck buck soon as u let off throttle it runs perfect again...the cat would be clogged for a reason...the cat doesent look bad from what i can tell...could the pump put out proper pressure while inproper volume?!?!?! it really feels like a fuel delivery problem...could be wrong. and also if there was lots n lots of nasty stuff in my gas tank would that get sucked to the fuel pump like a vaccume sucks on your stomach ...blocking the path or most of the path for fuel to get by?
19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #22
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 14304 Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 2,540
The non-plastic tanks had rust problems. That could easily clog the pump and filter. BUT, you say the inside of the tailpipe is black. This tells me its getting too much gas, running too rich. If the pump and filter was clogged then this wouldn't happen - the tailpipe would be a different color. So if it was me, I would rent or buy a fuel pressure gage and check the fuel pressure first. If that's wrong then you're most likely loooking at a fuel pressure regulator. It should be around 31 PSI. If the fuel pressure checks out OK, then its time to look at a few other things probably.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #23
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 14,812
He said his maintenance light is on.....The CEL Light! You need to check your fault codes and see what it says. Post back what you find:

http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index....k_Engine_Codes
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #24
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 14304 Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
He said his maintenance light is on.....The CEL Light! You need to check your fault codes and see what it says. Post back
Whoops, I missed that
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #25
19renegade91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: yarmouth, nova scotia
Posts: 145
NEW development!!!! code reader shut the engine off,, soon as you hook code reader to battery engine shut down!! so i cant read codes it wont work .. checked TPS .5v to 4.0v steady increase with throttle opening slowly so that seems fine... check fuel pressure and flow rate got a pint in like 30 sec and pressure was 31 and with vaccum hose off the regulator is 40 so that seemde fine...the exhaust pipe is black insdie has been since i got it, changed the coolant temp sensor awhile back the reader said it was toast engine thought it was -100 if i remember right so that could explain runing rich black exhaust and maybe cat is ruined.. the hesatation is under load only...parked in neutral you can bring it to redline if you wanted but the more load on engine the more the hesatation...it sounds like its misfireing i havent checked inside the dizzy yet but the plugs and wires are new...ill take plugs out today to see if there is a misfire...unhooked o2 sensor and it doesnt change performace...fuel filter is new due to running out of gas and plugging the old filter with dirt i assume...so i put gas in it and it wouldnt run then i changed fuel filter and it run...so this is my delimma fuel pump seems fine,tps seems fine...the light that is on isint an orange check engine...its a red MAINT REQD...check engine has never been on ever. even when it was throwing code for the coolant temp sensor...and today the code reader would just shut the engine off instantly...is my problem due to a short in the igntion system....why would the code reader turn off the engine!! this is baffling.........btw it would shut the engine off soon as you touched the positive clamp on the reader to the positive battery post even with the ground on the reader touching nothing just in my hand..

Last edited by 19renegade91; 08-23-2011 at 09:05 AM..
19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #26
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 14304 Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19renegade91 View Post
NEW development!!!! code reader shut the engine off,, soon as you hook code reader to battery engine shut down!! so i cant read codes it wont work .. checked TPS .5v to 4.0v steady increase with throttle opening slowly so that seems fine... check fuel pressure and flow rate got a pint in like 30 sec and pressure was 31 and with vaccum hose off the regulator is 40 so that seemde fine...the exhaust pipe is black insdie has been since i got it, changed the coolant temp sensor awhile back the reader said it was toast engine thought it was -100 if i remember right so that could explain runing rich black exhaust and maybe cat is ruined.. the hesatation is under load only...parked in neutral you can bring it to redline if you wanted but the more load on engine the more the hesatation...it sounds like its misfireing i havent checked inside the dizzy yet but the plugs and wires are new...ill take plugs out today to see if there is a misfire...unhooked o2 sensor and it doesnt change performace...fuel filter is new due to running out of gas and plugging the old filter with dirt i assume...so i put gas in it and it wouldnt run then i changed fuel filter and it run...so this is my delimma fuel pump seems fine,tps seems fine...the light that is on isint an orange check engine...its a red MAINT REQD...check engine has never been on ever. even when it was throwing code for the coolant temp sensor...and today the code reader would just shut the engine off instantly...is my problem due to a short in the igntion system....why would the code reader turn off the engine!! this is baffling.........btw it would shut the engine off soon as you touched the positive clamp on the reader to the positive battery post even with the ground on the reader touching nothing just in my hand..
Pretty much what I thought. Did you try unhooking the cat and take it for a quick spin like that?
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
19renegade91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: yarmouth, nova scotia
Posts: 145
i would have to take the skid plate off and cut the cat out it is welded in..so no i have not tried it without the cat...for 100% its underload and it feels like misfire....but it starts up and idles perfect you wouldnt know anything is wrong.....but WHY DOES THE CODE READER SHUT THE ENGINE OFF
19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #28
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 14,812
19renegade91 Read my post. You don't need a code reader to check your codes. Check the codes like I have posted in the links, disconnect the battery for a long 10 count and reconnect. Start it up recheck the codes.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #29
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 14304 Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19renegade91 View Post
i would have to take the skid plate off and cut the cat out it is welded in..so no i have not tried it without the cat...for 100% its underload and it feels like misfire....but it starts up and idles perfect you wouldnt know anything is wrong.....but WHY DOES THE CODE READER SHUT THE ENGINE OFF
The jeep computer was not designed to work with code readers - the readers completely give the wrong signals, causing a shutdown. So seriously, put the reader away and do what Que said.

Far as the cat goes, well then drop the skid and cut it off. You can always put it back with a exhaust coupling or sleeve for $3.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #30
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 14,812
No, I have a DRB that is setup to talk to the SCI bus on the OBDI Jeeps. It actually gives you more info by looking at the individual voltages on sensors as the computer sees them and diagnostic routines like cycling the fuel pump and and injectors. Shorting the SCI shouldn't cause the vehicle to stall so I am at a little loss as to why its occuring even if it's the wrong diagnostic box. The box isn't necessary though. Check the codes with the key cycle.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.