AH, WTF NOW! My Jeep is killing me!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AH, WTF NOW! My Jeep is killing me!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApocalypseJeep View Post
What's a good brand that you can find at an autoparts store.
i use wix filters that i buy 6+ at a time (i'll need 'em eventually)... either thru rockauto or amazon

4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #32
ApocalypseJeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Should I add the one quart of ATF on top of the 6 quarts of oil? Should I drain it and run 5 quarts oil to 1 quart of ATF? Just want to be sure that I'm trying this the right way.
ApocalypseJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #33
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can add the extra quart. It is not that critical and you are going to be keeping the revs low and the motor mostly idling. Higher revs, and it will throw the extra out.

Someone said STP. STP is a thick band aid for a very high mileage motor where the parts are worn out. The theory is that the extra thick oil helps fill the gaps. Also, STP is very 'sticky' and in fact most folks use a 50:50 mix of motor oil and STP as an engine assembly lubricant. STP has excellent film strength. However, you have an acute lifter problem (one or two) caused by crap stuck in the lifter, as opposed to a chronically worn out motor due to way too many miles.

Personally I don't care for WIX filters although for some obscure autos they are the only ones you can get. I also do not use Fram. I usually stick with Purolator or AC.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #34
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
You are correct that if one or two of his cam pobes are worn, that would cause a rocker arm noise. However, from the information the OP has provided, this should not be the case. First of all the motor is running smoothly. If a cam lobe was wiped out it would be running rough. Also, the problem arose after he had the head off, and he acknowledged that some gasket detritus could have fallen inside. Since the problem followed, it is more likely that a piece of gasket material is at fault as opposed to a wiped cam lobe.
You can have a smooth idle with a bad cam. Now when a rocker is making has much noise as the OP is describing then either one or more of the following items are the cause cam itself worn down, push rod worn or bent, worn rocker or a bad lifter that is either worn or on the edge of failure.

Personally I would like to heard this noise before I would spend much more time in a discussion about it. With the fact that he can push down on the rocker to quieten it down real does not mean alot. It could be that him pushing is masking the loudness of said noise.

When I was younger ( in my teens ) I drove a car with and wiped out cam lobe Due to a stuck valve. Idle smooth ran ok . In fact drove it clear across the country ( west Texas to Fla to East Tenn. and back to TX )
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #35
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
You can have a smooth idle with a bad cam. Now when a rocker is making has much noise as the OP is describing then either one or more of the following items are the cause cam itself worn down, push rod worn or bent, worn rocker or a bad lifter that is either worn or on the edge of failure.

Personally I would like to heard this noise before I would spend much more time in a discussion about it. With the fact that he can push down on the rocker to quieten it down real does not mean alot. It could be that him pushing is masking the loudness of said noise.

When I was younger ( in my teens ) I drove a car with and wiped out cam lobe Due to a stuck valve. Idle smooth ran ok . In fact drove it clear across the country ( west Texas to Fla to East Tenn. and back to TX )
EZ way to confirm, as I believe the OP already has the valve cover loose.

OP, pull the cover and take the center wire out of the distributor cap so the engine cannot start. Crank the motor and observe the valve action. Do all of the intakes move (open) the same amount? Ditto for the exhausts. You will need to take the slack out of the loose pushrods. If yes, the cam is OK.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #36
ApocalypseJeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just got back into to town and I've got the next couple of day to figure out whats up. I will go through the list, taking measurements, flushing with ATF, and I'll try to get a video up if the problem persist.

My question is, what would be a good way to disengage the fuel injectors or fuel system. I want to crank the motor with out it firing. I know you can just take off the center wire on the distributor, but that still leaves the injectors firing, which extended cranking can cause fuel pooling in the manifold or cylinder.
Unread 08-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #37
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pull the fuel pump relay in the PDC
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #38
ApocalypseJeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Pull the fuel pump relay in the PDC
Where would I find the PDC, which one is the relay. Sorry, not good with acronyms.
Unread 08-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #39
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

PDC is the fuse block under the hood and the cover has a list of all the relay and fuse locations.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #40
ApocalypseJeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
PDC is the fuse block under the hood and the cover has a list of all the relay and fuse locations.
Thank you for your help. I'll post back in a day or two with the turn out
Unread 08-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #41
ApocalypseJeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, dumping a quart of ATF in the crankcase worked. After a few cold starts, and some prolonged idling, it quieted right up. Now it's running smooth and awsome. Thanks guys for your help, and preventing me from having to pull the head off. This site saved my a$$ once again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.