Aggressive MT's with road performance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aggressive MT's with road performance

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 10-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Aggressive MT's with road performance

My Jeep is getting a full overhaul... I am in the process of fixing all the rust and will be repainting and/or Monstalining inside and out...I have the 4.5" of lift between the BDS springs and minimal BL along with 1/2" Besrk booms...now it's time for tires (mine need replacing anyway) and wheels... I want a mud tire for its performance on trails but also want one that will wear and perform decent on the road. I was considering Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's or Dick Cepeks, and had also looked at KM2's and Kevlars... They are all kind of on the same price range.... What has the meanest or most aggressive look and will still perform in both trail and road.

I understand there are reviews out there and have read many...and I'm also looking for opinions which is subjective... But figured I'd throw it out there anyway. I would be going 33x12.5x15 on a 15x8 most likely....
Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum... So excuse the typos, my iPhone is challenged.

KCCO
jaycal3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am sure that the MTR/k's are going to be at the top of that list since that is what they were designed for. I don't have any experience with any of the tires that you listed but my STT's do well offroad and have decent road manners.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ive run everything from Swamper TSL's to KM2's over the years. in my area the 3 most popular tires on the Dual Purpose rigs are KM2, MTR, and Red Letter General Grabbers.

I personally have KM2's on one of my Jeeps and they are one of the best tires Ive owned. the Red Letter grabbers are a little better on road mainly cause their tread pattern but off road the KM2's do excell mainly cause they hook up on slick rock better then the general. my KM2's on the XJ have 20K miles on them and they are at about 50% tread left once they wear out I'll buy another set if I dont try MTR's
Unread 10-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You are correct in that opinions are subjective. I will be going with the MTR/K's again when my current set wears out. Good road manners and performed beyond my expectations on the Rubicon.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

nothing you have listed are bad.

all are good choices.

they will all be loud, with a few vibes here and there; but all good tires that will suite your purpose. happy shopping
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know if they're the "meanest or most aggressive" looking. But I've had a set of Dunlop Mud Rovers on mine for over four years and they've certainly preformed well on the trail and street. Price was nice too. I had old school MT/R's prior to that on 33's and they were nice too, but no one had those in 35's when I needed them.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
Jeepsr4me

I like Cooper and the good year Kevlar

Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I really like the TOYO mts.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 05:52 AM   #9
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set of BFG radial mud terrain TA/KM. I have had them for many years and many miles. On my YJ they have been giving great street wear and manners, and really arnt that noisy compared to other mud tires I have run/seen. I would highly recommend them for a dual purpose rig (like mine)

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
medic-11
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ive got Treadwright Guard Dogs on my YJ. https://www.treadwright.com/individu...265-70R16.00-D

So far off road they do pretty good- I don't wheel much but I haven't gotten stuck yet. On the street they do make some noise but I don't consider it too bad. I run soft tops, and sometimes no doors, and it doesn't bother me. I have about 15k miles on them so far and they have worn very little. As for vibes- I had one tire cup a little and it turned out to be a bad front wheel bearing. I moved that tire to the other side after replacing the bearing, and it should probably be rebalanced. Because of that, I have a small vibration around 65 MPH. Other than that I can run 80-85mph on the highway with one hand on the wheel.

In the rain, I used to have a lot of wheelspin from a stop with 235/75-15 goodyear wrangler radial's, with these 265/70-16's- I can barely spin them.
medic-11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
JohnsonKen1332

Mickey Thompson Baja claw or NITTO mud grapplers
JohnsonKen1332 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies guys. As I do with everything, I over-research... I just found a ton of great reviews on the Super Swamper TSL Radial... And they are very aggressive looking, as are the STT's... confused. I thought I was set to go on the Mickey Thompsons...

KCCO
jaycal3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 05:13 AM   #13
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Id highly recommend you stay away from the swampers if youre looking for a decent road tire. My GF has them on her cherokee and its a struggle not to spin them when its raining. Really deep, untouched snow they do alright in but packed snow/ice roads is like a slip and slid. Shes actually looking into tires for it now before we get any snow

They do great off road though, come to think of it, the only time she ever got stuck with them was in the snow lol
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #14
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Stay away from the swampers if you plan to put many street miles on them. They are loud and wear fast. Like everyone else has said km2's are a good all around tire aswell as mtrk's.
Unread 10-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #15
yj94ne
1994 YJ Wrangler 

wow, no mention of Goodyear Duratrac's? Hybrid Mud-A/T. Great in the snow too. Really good tires for New England.

yj94ne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.