Aftermarket Seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aftermarket Seats

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Aftermarket Seats

Hi Folks,

Doing a face lift on the 88 YJ. I have had some seats from Quadratec in there for the last ten years. They've held up ok, but are a bit stained and tired. I want to replace them with some low-back buckets and a simple bench, but I want to make sure I don't buy junk. If you have any experience or thoughts about the following, I would appreciate any input.

Rugged Ridge Low Back Buckets
Corbeau Baja SS
Bestop Trailmax II Low Back
Corbeau Baja Low Back

Thanks,

Mark

JMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Baja SS and they are junk as are the brackets they sell so you can bolt them into the jeep. Not worth it. When I can, I'll be switching them out.
Unread 03-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like by baja ss. They fade fast though. I would never buy a lowback again though. I think it is a waste
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:37 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i was going to ask why you wanted low back?

i think swapping to front bench seat is a great idea though, maybe put two low backs in the back and a bench in front.
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #5
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

OK, thanks for the replies. What's wrong with low backs, though? I like the idea because I think it would make visibility easier, allow me to turn around or reach back easier, and make the interior feel more open.

Bench seat in the front? Interesting, I don't think I've seen that done.
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark View Post
OK, thanks for the replies. What's wrong with low backs, though? I like the idea because I think it would make visibility easier, allow me to turn around or reach back easier, and make the interior feel more open.

I too like my Baja SS, hard to get into but comfortable once you do. The problem with low backs is all about safety, in a rear end collision or even off-road rolling over backwards you have no support for your neck and head. The force of snapping back then forward during a collision or accident could break your neck or back. Of course we drove for years with low back seats and even without safety belts so its your decision to make.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mastercraft rubicon.
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Be careful of Rug.Ridge seats. I just bought one last year and this cold winter they just cracked apart with the extreme cold.

Bernie
2.5 - Auto - Crager "D" Slots
A Work In Progress

2004 Liberty Columbia Pkg.
A new begining
brzehentmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

With my low backs I was unable to run an X behind me in my cage. The upper bars would have been in direct head smacking range. A set of High backs would have allowed me to do so.
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

What's wrong with them is that if you get rear ended your back and neck are going to get destroyed. The reason they stopped putting them in new cars was because they aren't safe. Those head rests all cars have had for 20 years aren't for comfort. They are to keep your neck from breaking when you get rear ended.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #11
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, guys. I do get the safety issue on the low-backs. I'll have to give that some more thought.

Thanks for the heads-up about Rug Ridge seats, I kind of suspected that. I'll check out the Mastercraft.

BTW, can anyone shed any light for me on this idea of a front bench seat? Is that done much? I don't get the advantage? I would have more likely thought of buckets front and rear, for comfort.

Thanks!

Mark
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I installed the RR low-back buckets in my Jeep several years ago. They are great and very comfortable on long trips.

They sit you a bit higher in the saddle, which I compensated for by welding tabs on the beck of the seat frames to mount the seats an inch or so further to the rear. This gives more leg room and you can pick up quite a bit without the seats hitting the roll bar.

The low-back seats look a whole lot better, too, IMHO.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #13
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
What's wrong with them is that if you get rear ended your back and neck are going to get destroyed. The reason they stopped putting them in new cars was because they aren't safe. Those head rests all cars have had for 20 years aren't for comfort. They are to keep your neck from breaking when you get rear ended.
Sigh - there are many, many vehicles with low-back seats. And every motorcycle, LOL.

Would you retrofit a high-back seat into an E-Type, or an early Corvette?

If your primary concern is to be inside a safety capsule 'just in case', sell your Jeep and buy a Volvo.

BTW: if you are a tall person, your head and neck sit way north of the headrests in any vehicle, so who is kidding who?
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #14
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Sigh - there are many, many vehicles with low-back seats. And every motorcycle, LOL.

Would you retrofit a high-back seat into an E-Type, or an early Corvette?

If your primary concern is to be inside a safety capsule 'just in case', sell your Jeep and buy a Volvo.

BTW: if you are a tall person, your head and neck sit way north of the headrests in any vehicle, so who is kidding who?
The OP asked what's wrong with low back seats, the answer was they are not as safe, a fact.
Your jeep also came with a roll bar, early Corvettes didn't, but many who raced them added them, myself included (BTW I never added a roll bar or seat belts to my bike, LOL).
If you think low backs look cool, go for it. If you think having no roll bar or seat belts is more fun, by all means remove them, but if you ask in here why some would choose not to remove them, the answer will be because it's not as safe, a fact.
BTW, Volvo's are Shi%#Y off-road
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #15
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a pair of the Bestop seats. High quality and holds up to weather - even cold - quite well. Install was a breeze too. I picked up my pair on sale and with a promo deal at the time.

Low back? I mean for the drivers seat. For passenger, I'd never forgive myself if something happened to a passenger - wife kids etc. - because I thought they looked neat. Just my opinion.

Bench - just like a pickup truck. You can fit anything in there if you want.

Sent from my rotary phone using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.