JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Aftermarket Radiators ?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/aftermarket-radiators-1362984/)

NCTinkerer 04-30-2012 06:59 AM

Aftermarket Radiators ??

I picked up the 93 YJ yesterday and got it home. An hour and a half on the Interstate and it ran just fine. When I got home I spent some time going over it and noticed a small leak in the radiator. The radiator looks pretty rough too so I went searching online for a replacement. I saw 1, 2, and 3 row versions. Some were aluminum/plastic and some all aluminum. Prices from 100 - 500. I just want a functional radiator that wont fall apart in a year. What would you guys recommend? Any favorite brands or suppliers? The YJ has a 6 cylinder, 5 speed, no A/C. Thanks. :)

pete1991YJ 04-30-2012 08:03 AM

Most guys just get the aluminum/plastic radiators, about $110 at most parts stores. I prefer the all-metal copper/brass ones, about $300 special order usually. The factory original is copper/brass.

All radiators had a 2-row core on the 5-speed models and 3-row core for the auto trans models. Otherwise they're identical. You could put a 3-row auto trans model in the manual trans jeep for a "hevay-duty" cooling system.

BTW welcome to JF, you've just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere! :wave:

Que89YJ 04-30-2012 08:06 AM

Radiator Barn is about the cheapest I found. Good rep. too. Stay away from the plastic end caps. The aluminums can use bigger tubes and less lows because of it. They are resistance to the corrosion issues too.

NCTinkerer 04-30-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete1991YJ (Post 13491628)
Most guys just get the aluminum/plastic radiators, about $110 at most parts stores. I prefer the all-metal copper/brass ones, about $300 special order usually. The factory original is copper/brass.

All radiators had a 2-row core on the 5-speed models and 3-row core for the auto trans models. Otherwise they're identical. You could put a 3-row auto trans model in the manual trans jeep for a "hevay-duty" cooling system.

BTW welcome to JF, you've just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere! :wave:

I appreciate the help. I've joined other forums in the past when I got into something new. More often than not it seems that the new guys get ignored. Glad to see it's not that way here.:)

I've been under the dash this morning trying to figure out what 20 years of PO's have done. Lots of loose wires hanging down.:confused:

I checked for radiators at the local Auto Parts stores. They are all Aluminum/Plastic with only one row. Is this what guys typically use? Or should I order a 2 row?

Que89YJ 04-30-2012 12:00 PM

Get the single core or dual core aluminum one from the barn. We try and help every one here. It's a great forum and lots of good peeps here.

gp90 04-30-2012 01:11 PM

I replaced mine with a two row aluminum, from Leadfoot racing (eBay)

JWBooth 04-30-2012 01:45 PM

Absolute CLASSIC!!!!!! "Lots of loose wires hanging down..." Welcome to the club, bro...
-JDub

pasinbuy 04-30-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCTinkerer (Post 13492772)
I appreciate the help. I've joined other forums in the past when I got into something new. More often than not it seems that the new guys get ignored. Glad to see it's not that way here.:)

I've been under the dash this morning trying to figure out what 20 years of PO's have done. Lots of loose wires hanging down.:confused:

I checked for radiators at the local Auto Parts stores. They are all Aluminum/Plastic with only one row. Is this what guys typically use? Or should I order a 2 row?

Our original radiator has a plastic top. Get the two row from www.radiatorbarn.com and you will be completely happy. Life warranty and very fast shipping

NCTinkerer 04-30-2012 04:36 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll order an Aluminum 2 row. I've had a few of the plastic/aluminum radiators in other cars and never felt too sure of them.

NCTinkerer 05-29-2012 02:37 PM

Got a 2 row all metal from JC Whitney. Fits perfectly and is definitely more solid. It is the CSF brand. Thanks for the input. No leaks and temp stays steady. Will know more when it heats up for the summer.

Louie4 05-29-2012 02:50 PM

Keep us posted. I'm running the standard single core aluminum from A-zone. It's fine on the trail but on the highway it overheats. That tells me it's plugged. I could just swap it out for another since it's got a lifetime warranty. I wonder if they'll do that even though it's not leaking?

NCTinkerer 05-29-2012 04:52 PM

Happy to contribute anything I can. Once I get the rear diff back together, I may take a trip to the beach. That will be about 90 minutes at 2-lane highway speeds. If I do, I'll watch the temp.

SeanB95YJ 05-29-2012 06:13 PM

The Ledfoot Racing mentioned above (in case you can't find them on E-bay) is the company that has Champion Radiators.... http://www.championradiators.com/page/400655662

My Neice has their 2-row (currently out of stock, but they had them last week, so probably back soon) on her 4.0 YJ, her boyfriend's son has their 3-row on his 4.7 stroked YJ.

From their experiences, I just ordered their 3-row V8 conversion radiator for my upcoming swap.

Also, an electric fan with shroud/housing (getting rid of your belt driven clutch fan and stock shroud) can go a long way to help with cooling, not to mention freeing up a couple horses currently being robbed by your belt fan

Double_DD-s 06-01-2012 10:10 AM

i second the 3 core aluminum Champion radiator from Leadfoot. $200 and drops right in. Highly recommended by me (whatever that is worth).

NCTinkerer 08-01-2012 04:47 AM

We've had quite a few 100+ temp days so far this summer. The new radiator has been good on the highway, around town, or at the beach. Temp gauge climbs to thermostat setting and stays put. I can't say how a single core radiator would do, but I'm glad I spent the extra bucks for the peace of mind.

The time now is 01:08 PM.