aftermarket gauges... opinions on these 2? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > aftermarket gauges... opinions on these 2?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

aftermarket gauges... opinions on these 2?

I'm finalizing my parts collection to get my swap going in a month or so, and to eliminate as much of the original harness as possible (plus a couple of my gauges are kaput) I've decided to replace all my gauges with aftermarket.

I know most people who do this tend to go with Autometer or VDO apparently for good reason.. but I'm having trouble swallowing the fact that going with either of those 2 options (or many other more popular brands) are going to set me back about a grand

I've found 2 brands I like the looks of, and more importantly, the price... I can do all my gauges for around $500-600.

preferences aside (analog vs. digital), does anyone have any experience with either Intellitronix (LED digital, apparently they were the original Cyberdyne), and a newer company GlowShift?

looking for input on overall quality, ease of install (and calibration on the speedometer), how they're holding up after having them for ___.

and finally, any pics of installed gauges would be helpful.

thanks

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

anyone?
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I went with Dakota Digital in the past. (My Yamaha Rhino) They performed well, were durable and were priced reasonably. (Under a thousand bucks) They have a large selection of digital or analog guages.

Also, and this is VERY important to me, they are designed and manufactured here in the USA. I always try to buy USA or Canadian when possible.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd726.htm

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Edit: Here is a set for $624.00
I had gauges similar to these and was very happy with the accuracy and readability, even in direct sunlight. I also liked the fact that they are programmable to blink warnings when you set them. (Low oil pressure, high coolant temp ect)

The sensors are included.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd311.htm

I like the digital temp gauge as I wheeled at 110 degrees sometimes and wanted an accurate picture of my water temp. I could watch the temp rise a degree or so every time I started climbing... To remember it now, I guess I watched them alot, maybe too much!
You might want to go to dummy lights and keep you eyes on the trail!
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just put new autometer Phantom gauges and with all gauges including a trans temp gauge, tach, and speedo set me back $650 from jegs. they are accurate, my only complaint is they fog up when I turn my heat on, when it is cold outside.
Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

One thing I regret is not getting marine gauges. I have the autometer ultralite series and they get moisture in them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.