After lift handling affects question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > After lift handling affects question.

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 01-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

After lift handling affects question.

I have searched and found nothing that really fits my concerns. I have a 92yj stock height. I have removed the trackbars and have disconnects. I am thinking of getting a Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty Suspension System. I have also looked into a SOA. The work will be done by me and at my current skill level I have decided on the RE.

I drive my jeep in a very spiritted manner. I love the way it corners. I love the acceleration. I know through regearing I can maintain the acceleration, maybe even improving it a little. My concerns are with handling in corners. I am aware the arched springs will stiffen the ride. I also know I will be substantially raising my center gravity.

Will the stiffer, arched springs offset the higher center of gravity?

I will be upgrading my axles. Will stock width be adequate to maintain handling?

Will wider axles with the stiffer arched springs offset the higher center of gravity?

Will wider axles have any affect if the springs are mounted in the stock location or would the springs have to be mounted wider also to improve road handling?

I have already decided to lift my jeep. I would just like to have a solid idea of what real world changes to expect.

If there is already a post regarding this please link it for me.
Thanks

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
jeepfury

No offense or anything but a lifted jeep is not known for its cornering ability. And if you like to drive through corners in a sporty manner maybe you shouldn't lift your jeep. But to help with the center of gravity you get a good backspacing on your wheels, I am guessing your looking into 33's. a good backspacing would be 4.0 or 3.75.

00 Cherokee Classic- Stock
jeepfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with jeepfury.......slow down in the turns. But if you aren't going to do that, at least put the track bars back on. With that much lift, you will probably have to get adjustable track bars. The back spacing and width of wheels does make a difference in stability, somewhat. But to go higher and still planning on cornering in the "sporty manner" may not be such a good idea
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 03:04 AM   #4
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

like the ohters said, its a lifted jeep, (or going to be) not a sports car. with a lift comes bigger tires, a raised center of gravity, more wieght, bigger stopping distances, and decreased acceleration ability. driving a lifted jeep in a "sporty manner" is not a good idea. which is why I ride a 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I know I won't be able to hotrod. I chose to go up instead of fast but I am still interested in the on road manners as this will continue to be my daily driver. As I stated I am aware that acceleration will be affected. I am not concerned with out running some ricer from light to light, gearing will be done to maintain driveability merging on freeways pulling hills etc. Braking duties will be dealt with through 4 wheel disc brakes and less go pedal. I am aware of the changes I have read everywhere about higher center of gravity and its affects, bigger tires and the things they can cause. the big thing I am looking for is the changes that going from stock to lifted from the person in the drivers seat. What changes did you notice when you went up seat of the pants feel type comments are what I am looking for.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.

Last edited by Grape Ape; 01-04-2006 at 06:08 PM..
Unread 01-04-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
redranger

hope this helps

i have a 92 yj also. i put a 4" rubicon express lift on it and am runnin 33" superswamper tsl's. going from being stock and then to the lift the jeep should feel huge at first. dont hall around corners but if your not flying you shouldnt feel to much of a differance on the road it shouldnt feel leany or bad w/ or w/out the swaybar. basicly ( in my mind ) there was no downside to the lift it kicks asss on and off road.

( my springs are "rubi" but are actully made by procomp so it was one stiff ride at first but i dont imagine the differance is that great )
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I installed the RE 4" YJ lift on my CJ5. I drive it in a "spirited" manner from stop light to stop light (it has an AMC 360). I love this lift kit! It was kinda stiff at first (about 3-4 weeks driving maybe 50 miles a week) but once it limbered up it rides great... better than stock. Having said that, I realize it's a short wheelbased narrow rig and I treat it like that in the corners. Install the lift and take it easy.. get used to the Jeep all over again.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks BESRK, What I wanted to hear.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.