After engine clean - nasty belt/pulley sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > After engine clean - nasty belt/pulley sound

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

After engine clean - nasty belt/pulley sound

I went off roading a week or so ago and got the engine completely soaked with heavy mud. Washed down the engine bay, then dried out the plug wires, cap, rotor and distributor and now I've got this nasty sound from one of my belts/pulleys. I *think* it's from the power steering pulley, but I can't be sure. I have hit the belts with A TOUCH of WD-40 and there was no change in the sound. Yes, I hear the minor squeal from one of the belts, but that's not the sound I'm talking about. It's that God awful "rock inside a rolling tire" sound that's got me stumped.

Anybody have any ideas for me on what it could be? The sound was not there before I washed the engine bay.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The WD-40 is the last thing you want to put on a belt. Sounds like you might be due for a new one anyway. Hose it down again and then try a new belt. Clean the pulleys with some carb cleaner prior to installing to get them and you should be good to go.
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well, the Wrangler let me know this morning what the problem was. Water pump. Completely took a puke about 1 mile from the house. Thankfully I was heading home instead of away.

As for spraying belts with WD-40, a LITTLE spray is fine. A heavy spray is really bad. My mechanic buddy, who is an ASE master mechanic but very busy and best used for phone support, told me about the trick to spray just a touch on the belts and see if the sound changes. If it does, it's a belt. If it doesn't, it's a pulley. He was right -- again.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I still wouldnt use wd-40. I would use carb clean or brake clean because they evaporate and dont lubricate. Drive belts and lubrication dont mix at all.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There is stuff called "belt dressing". It comes in a spray can and is either a lubricant, or another kind helps belt to grip.

I am not a fan of this though. It only tends to cover up belt problems such as a loose or worn out belt. I have used it in the past when I was in a hurry and needed the belt to shut up for a couple weeks.

Good luck with the water pump.
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did it make a squeal that would go away? There is too much other engine noise for me to pinpoint what you are talking about. I have an intermittent squeal when cold that will go away after a few minutes of driving. I'm wondering if I'll find out sooner than later what it is, like you did
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Purr little kitty. Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

New water pump installed. Weird noises gone.

Hey caoboy - a squeal that goes away shortly after warming up could simply mean that you're low on power steering fluid. Have you checked it lately?

Unread 04-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately I don't have power steering.
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if you read a can of belt dressing... it says do not use on serpentine belts..

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
if you read a can of belt dressing... it says do not use on serpentine belts..
Luckily I have v-belts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.