Advise of axles - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Advise of axles

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I beat the stupid out of my jeep. See sig line for details on my rig

Unread 06-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

With the larger tires, you not only want to look at axles but brakes too. The little brakes designed for 3000# Jeep on 25's is not going to stop the same with 36" tires on it.
Being a YJ, you can look for axles that have the similar leaf mount spread on the front to be nearly bolt in. Problem is, these will be full size or Wagoneer axles with the diff on the driver's side. If full size, they will SOA setup. Wagoneer will be SUA setup. Then there is the steering and its layout to consider (under/over knuckle or high steer), adapting the better brakes (master/vacuum), ds compatibility, wheel choices, and gear/locker choices.

You can keep the rear a 95-01 8.8 (Explorer/Mountaineer), or if you find a donor both matching axles.

Getting the axles in can take some configuration of spring perches on axles, shock mounts, brake lines (soft/parking), etc.
If you have plans for a v8, then I'd hold off now until you destroy an axle. Then learn from that, replace broken component, and look forward to your driveline upgrade. Jus take the YJ body off and place it on the donor's running frame.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #18
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn View Post
What were you doing and how old was the build on it?
I was at a stop light waiting to turn left, went to roll up a little bit and BANG! Its a 4banger on 33s with 225k miles
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #19
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I was at a stop light waiting to turn left, went to roll up a little bit and BANG! Its a 4banger on 33s with 225k miles
Damn...

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.