Advice on a transmission/clutch problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Advice on a transmission/clutch problem

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
Uberjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As strange as this may sound, it may also be a pressure plate/friction disc issue. I had EXACTLY the same symptoms, went through the same process, replaced master cylinder, bled lines, reverse bled lines, power bled lines (pickle jar, squeeze bulb, and a check valve), and tried every piece of advice I could find here and elsewhere. I was finally resided to pulling the tranny to check/replace the internal slave cylinder. When I un-bolted the bellhousing I found a few shards of metal in the bottom of the housing. I removed the pressure plate of the clutch to check the friction disc condition and discovered that the splined hub of the friction disc was free floating(somewhat) and that the retainers for the springs on the friction disc were mostly mangled/missing. The internal slave cylinder was fine, but with the random metal chunks floating in between the pressure plate and friction disc, it casued all of the same symptoms. It would be fine for weeks on end, then pull up at a light and not be able to put it in first gear. It felt like the clutch wasn't engaged, but no gears grinding at all. Shift into second or reverse, then back to first and it was fine. I am thinking that because it wasn't fully disengaging the clutch, there was rotation of the input shaft of the tranny more than what the synchros were capable of dealing with. Kinda like trying to downshift to first at 60Mph. Even though the internal slave was fine, I still decided to upgrade to the external style, so I ended up getting a complete NV3550 with bellhousing to bolt back in.

My Jeep has only ever killed three things. A deer, a dog, and my wallet.
*retired* Low Output Jeep Club # 135
Uberjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #17
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaCowboy View Post
Max,

Thanks for the suggestions...

I've never bled a manual transmission before. Is there a forum post that would walk me through this that you know about?
For clarity, it's not the transmission that gets bled, it's the hydraulic system that operates the clutch. It's really easy, you insure the reservoir is full at the master, then have an assistant pump the pedal 1 time & hold it while you open the bleed valve located on the hard line coming out of the slave cylinder. Once you open the valve & release the pressure, close the valve before the assistant releases the pedal. Repeat this cycle about 3 times & recheck the fluid level. DO NOT ALLOW THE RSERVOIR TO RUN EMPTY!

I've read on various posts that Penzoil Synchromesh is a good replacement oil for the transmission, which i've just purchased... but not put in yet. What do you think?
Personally, I hate the stuff. I have never had decent results with it, and I have used it before so this comes from my own experience. I use Wal-Mart brand 10W-30 and LOVE it.

I'll save this option for last! I'm on a strict budget right now

Thanks again!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...linder-860254/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #18
CrzyMtnMan
1996 ZJ 

I agree, this is most likely clutch related. I have the same problem in my Subaru when a floor mat gets pinched under the pedal. Follow the hydraulic clutch trouble tree, built upon previous posts, more that likely that is your problem.
CrzyMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #19
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Max is dead on with that link for bleeding, of course you could fit all I know about jeeps in the last knuckle of Max's pinky. I agree with one pump, especially in this case, although I have had an occurance where my pedal went straight to the floor and had to pump it several times just to build any pressure at all. I would also re-iterate that this process can take many, many times. I have had to do this 5 or 6 times to get all of the air out before and you can only do this twice without refilling...it's a very small master cylinder, so please make sure you check it and check it often while bleeding. Good luck and post back your results, you're in good hands when Max is at the keyboard!
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
CoronaCowboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This weekend I bled the clutch---extensively. I also inspected the master cylinder on both sides of the firewall and couldn't see any signs of leakage.

Here are my results:

The clutch and shifting worked like a champ when I started driving. After about 15 minutes, it started having the same troubles as I described in my original post.

I thought that was weird.

Next day, Jeep cold again, went for another test drive. It again worked flawlessly, shifting smoothly, until about 15 minutes into the drive, then started acting up again.

Any thoughts on what is heating up and causing trouble?

I'm going to drain and re-fill the transmission with 10W-30 next.

Thanks all!
98 Wrangler TJ 2.5L AT 110k miles
CoronaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #21
CrzyMtnMan
1996 ZJ 

One more on the master cylinder, I appologize for this, anytime you bleed an older master cylinder, put a foot under the pedal, when you bleed and older cylinder typically there will be corrosion/oxydation in the cylider from normal travel, you can not pump an older cylinder, full travel as the wear will just allow air past the o-rings. Works find until it heats up, sounds like the clutch.
CrzyMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #22
tyrap26
1991 YJ Wrangler 

bleeding a clutch is like bleeding a brake system. its a 2 mans job,
1- have somebody pump the pedal few times then hold it down
2- open the bleeder valve
3- shut the bleeder repeat until no air in the system
fairly easy.

idk in what condition your jeep is but go easy on the bleeder, you dont want to break it when trying to unscrew..

i had similar problem on a different car.. ended up being my clutch that was going away..just make sure you dont replace part for no reason but X2 on the bleeding first.. it doesnt cost much and is easy.
tyrap26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #23
tyrap26
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyMtnMan View Post
One more on the master cylinder, I appologize for this, anytime you bleed an older master cylinder, put a foot under the pedal, when you bleed and older cylinder typically there will be corrosion/oxydation in the cylider from normal travel, you can not pump an older cylinder, full travel as the wear will just allow air past the o-rings. Works find until it heats up, sounds like the clutch.
good point i was going to point that out also... but i figured clutch are supose to be pressed in all the way when shifting... not like brake masters...but yes the man knows whats hes talking about
tyrap26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.