Advice on missing manifold bolt needed - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Advice on missing manifold bolt needed

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 09-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper
I went on a 60 mile round trip with the Jeep today. At about mile 30 it started to randomly miss, real quick misses, not enough to stall the engine, then it would run fine again, then miss in another mile or two, usually at high gear.

Which leads me to believe that the most logical cause of this is the assumed leak in my exhaust prior to the O2 sensor. So now I don't think I have a choice. My weekend project will be pulling that broken bolt and installing a new one. Might as well throw some new gaskets on the manifolds while I'm at it.
Ya scraper, unless you cannot possibly afford it, replace the gaskets with new. No sense in doing the same job twice. Unless of course you like removing manifolds.

Old4x. Thanks for the compliment. I wish I ha documented more of what we had done like the engine rebuild but it was a fun project.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pull off the drivers fender. It will give you enough space and it only take 30 minutes.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update:

After trying every suggestion to get the bolt out I decided just to bite the bullet and pull the entire Head. Good thing I did too because the real culprit here was a crack in the Exhaust Manifold real close to where the actual bolt was broken.

In the process of removing the head I broke 3 more bolts in various spots. So I'm going to take this opportunity to replace every single suspicious bolt with grade 8. I also cleaned the head, intake, and valve cover and painted them with a heat resistant Baby Blue. (My son picked the color).

After I pick up the new exhaust manifold I am going to paint that Orange.

Needless to say I was easily able to remove the broken Exhaust bolt with an Easy-Out once I had the head out of the Jeep.

So a sure fire way to solve this issue is to remove the head.

I'll post picks of the newly cleaned and painted engine once It's all back in.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #19
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good God. congrats on getting it fixed! I cant wait to see the pics
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I finally got everything back in and all the small issues straightened out, the engine is running great now. Here's the pic of the engine paint job. Baby Blue on the head and valve cover, General Lee Orange on the manifolds.

Unread 10-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #21
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper
Well I finally got everything back in and all the small issues straightened out, the engine is running great now. Here's the pic of the engine paint job. Baby Blue on the head and valve cover, General Lee Orange on the manifolds.
That's great to hear , on a side note I am not a fan of the paint. It would look better if you took time to do it right.

This took me about 2 days to paint from start to finish between prep, prime, paint, clearing

Unread 10-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Good looking Jeep engine to me. OP. It is all I can do to keep mine from being solid Ga red clay color.
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #23
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

scraper, I'm glad it all worked out. Sounds like one hellofa mess, but like a real jeeper, you got'r done.

Funny thing is.. i just picked up a project YJ and it has the same exact issue you had.. busted exhaust manifold bolts - 2 of them by the firewall.. Think I'm just gonna pul the entire engine, clean it up , fix the bolts and gaskets, then - in your honor - paint it with random rattle cans without masking anything off.. Screw the Earl Schiebs of the YJ world.. LOL@Tom... If I had that engine, I'd sure as hell take time painting it too... but a rusty greasy 2.5l you just got done hot oil wrestling with for a week? Rattle can it and call it done.

Unread 10-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #24
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
scraper, I'm glad it all worked out. Sounds like one hellofa mess, but like a real jeeper, you got'r done.

Funny thing is.. i just picked up a project YJ and it has the same exact issue you had.. busted exhaust manifold bolts - 2 of them by the firewall.. Think I'm just gonna pul the entire engine, clean it up , fix the bolts and gaskets, then - in your honor - paint it with random rattle cans without masking anything off.. Screw the Earl Schiebs of the YJ world.. LOL@Tom... If I had that engine, I'd sure as hell take time painting it too... but a rusty greasy 2.5l you just got done hot oil wrestling with for a week? Rattle can it and call it done.
My thoughts exactly, plus I don't have the setup to do a proper paint job and I wasn't about to spend the money to get one just to paint 4 squirrels. When I bump up to an 8 I will do it proper. But still I painted the parts outside the engine, the only part that bleed over that I didn't want are the fuel lines. No big deal.
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #25
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

congrats on finishing it!
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #26
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to replace both bolts on my manifold without removing anything at all. I took a 24" socket extension and a BFH to the bolts from below. With the long extension I was able to get a straight shot with the BFH to drive them out of the manifold. Once out, I replaced them both with grade 10's about 3 inches long and was able to get it all snugged in tight. Didn't take long to do it, maybe 45 minutes taking my time.
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #27
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiechief
I was able to replace both bolts on my manifold without removing anything at all. I took a 24" socket extension and a BFH to the bolts from below. With the long extension I was able to get a straight shot with the BFH to drive them out of the manifold. Once out, I replaced them both with grade 10's about 3 inches long and was able to get it all snugged in tight. Didn't take long to do it, maybe 45 minutes taking my time.
We are discussing the exhaust manifold bolts that thread into the head and the studs that are on the head, not the two studs that hold the down pipe to the exhaust pipe.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

Unread 10-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #28
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oops, sorry i misread the original post and skimmed the rest. I guess I should slow down a bit sometimes.
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #29
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Discovered the two exhaust manifold bolts on my flip YJ aren't broken off, they were just MISSING!! Went to pick-a-part on Saturday, grabbed a pair off of a Cherokee, snugged them down on the YJ and BAM! no more exhaust leak!! WOOHOOO! Clean it, Tune, it, and Flip it!

Unread 10-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #30
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Discovered the two exhaust manifold bolts on my flip YJ aren't broken off, they were just MISSING!! Went to pick-a-part on Saturday, grabbed a pair off of a Cherokee, snugged them down on the YJ and BAM! no more exhaust leak!! WOOHOOO! Clean it, Tune, it, and Flip it!
Nice. So much easier than drilling them out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.