Advice on missing manifold bolt needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Advice on missing manifold bolt needed

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Advice on missing manifold bolt needed

Apparantly at some point the the very right bolt on my 2.5 exhaust manifold snapped off and went missing. How this happened I have no idea, I haven't tried to remove it and I've owned the Jeep since 1998. So either it was always missing and I never noticed that it was missing or somewhere along the way it went missing. Here's my question; the jeep is running fine, it idles perfectly, runs great, BUT it is going to drive me nuts knowing I'm missing that manifold bolt. From the picture it looks like the bolt actually snapped in half and a large part of it is still stuck inside the engine.

Shuold I try to remove the remaining part of the bolt and secure the manifold with a new one, or should I just leave it alone?

Also if you think I should remove it, do you have any suggestions on how I could actually get it out of there?

scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would personally leave it alone as it isn't causing any issues. The time and energy that you will put into replacing it will yield no benefits.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If it were mine, I'd fix it. If you can get a drill on it, drill it out, helicoil it, and use a new bolt.
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Scrapper, still more problems! You have an exhaust leak before the O2 sensor so you are effecting the calibration and costing you $$$ in bad fuel economy. Fix it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Scrapper, still more problems! You have an exhaust leak before the O2 sensor so you are effecting the calibration and costing you $$$ in bad fuel economy. Fix it.
Lol, yeah it never ends. I only figured this one out when I switched out the CPS and noticed the missing bolt head. At first I was hoping it was just the bolt missing, it can't be that easy though, the damn thing somehow snapped in half.
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It looks like there may be enough meat left outside to ease it out with a pair of vise-grips, but you won't really know until you pull the intake and exhaust. I'd fix it just for peace of mind. soak the hell out of it with your creeping oil of choice and either clamp on the pliers, or get one of those bolt extraction tools. In the long run, you'll be glad you took care of it.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

same on my fathers, i used a left hand drill bit, and it walked right out without drilling. so check, it might not be tight in there.
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
It looks like there may be enough meat left outside to ease it out with a pair of vise-grips, but you won't really know until you pull the intake and exhaust. I'd fix it just for peace of mind. soak the hell out of it with your creeping oil of choice and either clamp on the pliers, or get one of those bolt extraction tools. In the long run, you'll be glad you took care of it.
It's hard to tell from the picture, but just feeling in the hole I don't think there is enough of it sticking out of the block to grab with some vise-grips. I may see if I can get a left handed bit on it, the problem is there isn't a ton of room there, so I may need to start removing parts just to get at it. I really don't want to remove the intake manifold and injectors if I don't have to.
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper View Post
It's hard to tell from the picture, but just feeling in the hole I don't think there is enough of it sticking out of the block to grab with some vise-grips. I may see if I can get a left handed bit on it, the problem is there isn't a ton of room there, so I may need to start removing parts just to get at it. I really don't want to remove the intake manifold and injectors if I don't have to.
Sorry, you will have to to do it right. you may also have to loosen and slide your break master and diaphragm out of the way to get an electric hand drill in there at the right angle.

Unread 09-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think I am going to fix it. Luckily in the past month I have had the brake booster and cylinder, and the injectors and fuel rail out, So they are still loose and I should be able to get them out fairly quickly. Too bad I didn't notice the missing bolt when I had the other parts out.

Now it's just finding the time to do it. I was hoping to start a front fender conversion to Tube Flairs this weekend. Maybe I will do the manifold instead.
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper
I think I am going to fix it. Luckily in the past month I have had the brake booster and cylinder, and the injectors and fuel rail out, So they are still loose and I should be able to get them out fairly quickly. Too bad I didn't notice the missing bolt when I had the other parts out.

Now it's just finding the time to do it. I was hoping to start a front fender conversion to Tube Flairs this weekend. Maybe I will do the manifold instead.
The joys of YJ ownership.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

Unread 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Last time I checked my exhaust manifold bolts, they were all finger tight. Seems if stuff isn't seized, it is ready to fall off.
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I went on a 60 mile round trip with the Jeep today. At about mile 30 it started to randomly miss, real quick misses, not enough to stall the engine, then it would run fine again, then miss in another mile or two, usually at high gear.

Which leads me to believe that the most logical cause of this is the assumed leak in my exhaust prior to the O2 sensor. So now I don't think I have a choice. My weekend project will be pulling that broken bolt and installing a new one. Might as well throw some new gaskets on the manifolds while I'm at it.
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
95YJRusso
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know this has nothing to do with the broken bolt but Luuca the Dad, Daughter and a Jeep build looks great. It came out awesome
95YJRusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

bummer man, that sucks you have to pull all that stuff to get to it - at least it doesn't have any force/torque holding it in except rust.

I'd hit it with pb blaster today, tomorrow, again the night before, and once again before breakfast, then heat the living **** out of it with MAP gas before trying the reverse drill bit/bolt extractor/easy out. ...my 2c

GOODLUCK!
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.