adjusting the timing??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > adjusting the timing???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
bjbrowder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

adjusting the timing???

I have searched and read how to adjust the timing on here for days and I cant get a clear answer on how to plug the vac line. Please correct me if im wrong.
Warm the engine up, unplug the vac line from the dist and plug it. So, do you leave the dist vac port open??? Or plug it to. Basicly, do you plug the port on the dist, or leave it open and plug the vac line going to the carb?

Also, everyone says something differnt on engine speed, 650,750, 850, or 1600 rpms. What actuall RPMs do I need to set it at?? The engine is an 1988 258 with 170K on it, team rushed, nuttered, 32/36 Weber, and holley Fuel pressured.

bjbrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
xxxflhrci

Plug it at the advance. Set it at 1600 rpm.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Plug the vacuum hose that runs back to the carb. I use a golf tee. The port on the vacuum advance at the distributor can be left unplugged because it creates no vacuum.

When Nuttered, timing is adjusted at idle speed (650 - 700). This is the way I do it and have had no issues. And I've played with the timing a lot to find that perfect spot.

If not Nuttered then it has to be timed at 1600 RPM along with disconnecting a few things (I don't remember what they were).

And at 1600 RPM the weights should be starting to move out. At idle the weights aren't out yet. So you can time it at 1600 or idle.
spshultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
bjbrowder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for explaining that, i couldnt figure it out. I will try that tonight and set it at about 8 or 9 degs.
bjbrowder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.