Adjusting rear drums - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Adjusting rear drums

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

/\ Anybody?

Unread 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Your 1993 Dana 35 will have C-clips.

The Dana 35C designation is not a reference to the existence of C-clips or not. It means "custom" which is a Dana company reference to the way the axle was prepared at Dana prior to delivery to the customer (Jeep, in this case) back when the axle was produced new.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK, that's good to know. One more thing though. If it is just the wheel cylinder, would I be able to just swap the one side out and be OK for now, or should I do them both? I know if one is on it's way out the other is probably close behind, but is there anything other than that which may cause problems by just swapping the one?
I could get away with swapping the wheel cylinder in the car park and bleeding the system, but not pulling the shafts to swap in disks!
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do both.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
YJ475
1993 YJ Wrangler 

87 to 89 have non-c clips. If your axles are stock, you have a c clip version.
YJ475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #21
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK, thanks guys. I'll grab another wheel cylinder as I found one in the back from the PO which I guess he forgot to tell me needs replacing!
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #22
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I finally bit the bullet and sent it in to a mechanic for the wheel cylinder replacement! I hate having to do that, but I have no private parking to replace the cylinders and bleed the brakes so it had to go in!

fingers crossed it will fix the issues and get it through inspection this time! Third time lucky!
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So, the saga of the dodgy brakes is finally over, I think! I sent it to the mechanic who told me it wasn't the wheel cylinder, that was fine. It was the drums and shoes which were completely ragged! One shoe was cracked, so was probably causing the intermittent braking differences and the drums were also not completely round (is this normal though?) as they would catch on some points of rotation but not on others, as if they were going oval!

Anyway, new drums and shoes and now my star wheels click on every try so they should be good to go. Time for inspection now to see if it actually works!

Thanks for the responses guys, the help is really appreciated.
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #24
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

FYI The star wheel is a self adjuster that is suppose to adjust your brakes every time you back up and hit the brakes. There is a point that you adjust them to. Not until they will not turn...

I have always adjusted my rear brakes with the tire in the air, while turning the tire I will adjust the brakes until the brakes start to rub. Not until they are tight.

Hope this helps you.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know mate, my concern was first to check they were adjusted enough for the locking arm to catch on the wheel and second to check that they actually click on more than one push. Prior to the replacement they wouldn't click at all, no matter how tight I got them. I am going to check them properly once I get time to make sure they are adjusted properly before I go for inspection.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.