Adjusting rear drums - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Adjusting rear drums

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 11-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Adjusting rear drums

So I went to get the car road tested today for registration and it was so close to passing, only for the fact that the rear left brake is not as strong as the rear right. It was noticeable when I was watching as the left wheel stopped about 2 seconds after the right.

What I need to know is, how do I adjust the drums to get them a little tighter? I know the shoes are OK (or should be) as they were only changed about 1200km's ago. I've never had to work with drums before, so an idiots guide would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Unread 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is pretty simple there is a gear or a sprocket looking piece towards the bottom of the drum brakes. you just turn it to adjust them in or out to give you more braking. It is pretty much being pointed to in the pic, yours may not look exactly the same, i think the picture is from a TJ. But same concept.
0704_mufp_16_z-brake_system-adjust_drum_brakes.jpg  
Built not Bought #759
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can access this without removing the drum through a small opening on the bottom rear of the backing plate. It's a punch-out; if it has not been punched out before, you will need to remove your drum as you don't want this piece of metal running around inside your brakes! You can adjust the star wheel with a screwdriver by levering it against the teeth of the wheel. Spin the tire while you do this until you hear or feel the shoe contact the drum.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK, so if I'm lying under the rig and looking directly at the backing plate of the rear left set up would I turn the sprocket up or down to tighten it? I presume it would be up but I'm not sure.
Sorry if it's a stupid question, I just wanna get this done right first time as I need to get the rig registered ASAP as we're selling our DD and have no other motor!
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It is at the bottom back side it will have a rubber plug in it. Take a stubby flat blade screwdriver to turn the gear or a sprocket.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #6
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got that part Dake, what I need to know now is, which way do I turn the star wheel, up or down?
Unread 11-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Stick the screwdriver into the slot & engage the top of the adjuster, then rotate the screwdriver to roll the top of the adjuster down to the bottom. It should produce a clicking noise.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #8
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Max, exactly what I was looking for. Whilst you here, I have heard that you can swap the master cylinder with one from a 74-78 ford/lincoln/mercury. Being in the UAE it may be hard to find one from that type model. Any other master cylinders to add which will give the brakes a bit more pressure with a bit less pedal?

Thanks
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymartin
Thanks Max, exactly what I was looking for. Whilst you here, I have heard that you can swap the master cylinder with one from a 74-78 ford/lincoln/mercury. Being in the UAE it may be hard to find one from that type model. Any other master cylinders to add which will give the brakes a bit more pressure with a bit less pedal?

Thanks
You're welcome.

I usually use one from an E-350 Ford van. I can't remember the year & part number, but I'll look it up.

It's not completely "plug & play" but the modifications are easily done.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Read here.

http://www.michiganwheelers.com/foru...ad.php?t=17922

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link Max, it looks simple enough. I noticed that one post says it will only improve braking if you have higher capacity calipers. Is that true as I though more capacity/pressure would mean more stopping power?

Thanks again bud, always great info!
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It will make a very good increase in power, even with stock calipers.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 11-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #13
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK great, thanks Max. I'll look into getting one shipped over from rockauto.

Cheers
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I adjusted the drums and there was a noticeable difference in braking power. Strange how they've come some far out of adjustment in only a year/1100 Km's (I barely drove it last year). I did notice that the passenger side didn't click which leads me to believe that the locking arm on the star wheel is loose/broken.
Anyway, adjusting the drums also pretty much relieved one other problem I seemed to not be able to find. I have a clicking noise coming from the rear end and was having no luck finding it. Once I adjusted the drums it seemed to get much better. Hopefully that is the solution, and not just something being so worn that it isn't clicking anymore!

I also found a good E350 MC from rockauto which I will be ordering this week, hopefully, and getting fitted ASAP!

Thanks guys
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So, I went last night again to get it registered and it is still showing as the rear left brake is not as strong as the right. The tech there suggested that the wheel cylinder might be on it's way out as they tested it three times and got different results each time. All of which were showing the brakes not as strong as they should be. Now I got a quote for a full brake requild kit minus the drums and a wheel cylinder for each side and it comes to around US$160 with shipping. Would I be better getting the rebuild kit or trying to find a good condition set of disks and hardware from a ZJ instead?
It would probably cost me the same in parts from the JY as it would for the new parts from Q-tec, but as I don't have a place to work on the rig other than the Embassy compound which I work in I don't think I would be able to swap in the disks due to having to remove the rear axle shafts to get the backing plates swapped over.
Do all YJ's have a 35C or are some non-c clip models, and if so, how would I know without pulling the diff cover?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.