Adjusting Full Soft doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Adjusting Full Soft doors

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Adjusting Full Soft doors

I just bought a used Bestop Supertop with full soft doors. I had only been on the PO's Jeep once. I still looks basically brand new. I only paid $350.

I put the top on tonight and it worked fine. I put the doors on and they aren't fitting very well. They need to be adjusted but I got tired and gave up for now. The are just fitting very tight on the upper half.

Has anyone dealt with these before? What did you do to get them adjusted correctly?

I have half steel doors. I normally run them with hard uppers and a hard top. Will my hard uppers fit correctly against the soft top? I really want to get the soft doors working because my soft top is gray and my hard top and hard uppers are black, so I want to have matching colors.

Cards89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hardtop 1/2 wont work. However, get soft 1/2 tops and you'll be good.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Or no doors works better. lol
erockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i think the hard top uppers would work with the supertop, full doors do (not a factory softtop) as for adjusting the soft doors, i think you have to actually bend the frame. i would try to do it as close to (or at) the hinges as possible.

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Your halfdoors with the hard uppers will work with the supertop. I have 2 sets of full soft doors. I adjust them by putting only the lower half of the soft door on first. Making any adjustments as needed. Put the other half of the door on, adjust it for the best fit with the windshield angle. See how the door closes, if its tight, youll have to bend the top half of the door outward. If its loose, bend it inward. These are Bestops instructions and I can assure you, I have really put some torque on mine to bend them and ran into no problems. They say in their instructions it may take alot of force to bend them.
If your used to the hard doors as I am, when you put the softdoors on, you might be dissappointed in the fit. They work and keep you dry, but not the best fit. Although after messing with them, for a while, little bend here, little bend there, I think I have them fitting pretty good.
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KAS View Post
Your halfdoors with the hard uppers will work with the supertop. I have 2 sets of full soft doors. I adjust them by putting only the lower half of the soft door on first. Making any adjustments as needed. Put the other half of the door on, adjust it for the best fit with the windshield angle. See how the door closes, if its tight, youll have to bend the top half of the door outward. If its loose, bend it inward. These are Bestops instructions and I can assure you, I have really put some torque on mine to bend them and ran into no problems. They say in their instructions it may take alot of force to bend them.
If your used to the hard doors as I am, when you put the softdoors on, you might be dissappointed in the fit. They work and keep you dry, but not the best fit. Although after messing with them, for a while, little bend here, little bend there, I think I have them fitting pretty good.
I think your right about the adjusting. I was just tired last night after installing the top and just didn't feel like messing with the doors too much. My issues right now are that the bottoms have to be pushed in very hard to latch. I think I just need to adjust my striker post out a bit. The top half work ok with the windshield angle on the passenger side, but was very tight on the driver side. I have a piece of rubber seal running down the side of the windshield. Do you think that could cause issues with the upper half?
Cards89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I dont think it would be an issue. You would adjust the door and compensate for that little piece if rubber. Check the paddles on your lower doors. One of my sets I bought used. The paddles were installed incorrectly. They were installed on the inside of the doors. They should go through the door from the outside and then put the 4 bolts in. Anyway, them being installed on the inside made the door not shut all the way. I though I was going to have to adjust my slam pin. Once I installed the handle correctly, all was good. I can go from full hard doors and back to soft in minutes without adjusting anything. If you adjust your pins for one set f doors, the other set of doors will require adjustment when you go to use them again.
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.