Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Adding to sport style roll bar

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Cards89YJ 
#1 ·
I am having the toughest time finding a Family Style roll bar to replace my sport style roll bar in my YJ. I have found a bunch online but they are way too far away for me to pick up. The only one I found within a couple of hours at a junkyard, the guy wanted $250 for it.

Has anyone ever just added to their sport style roll bar to make it like a family style? If so can I see pics and an explanation of what you did.

#5 ·
I found one last November in my local "Pick-n-pull". I just put it in a few days ago, after I took off the hard top for the summer. Keep looking, jeep parts have a way of popping up when you least expect them.

#7 ·
Dang. I wish you were closer to Mississippi. We could just trade roll bars. As I said before, I have found plenty of the family style but they are just so far away.

I have a 4 year old that rides with me a lot and I really want the family style or at least to fab something like it.

#11 ·
DOM I think stands for Drawn Over Mandrel. It is manufactured with tighter tolerances on the wall thickness and meant to be used for structural applications. Mine was .120 wall thickness. BTW, I have no illusions of it being a complete roll over protection - just as Jeep designates the factory cage as a "sport bar". Mine was done primarily to help secure people in the back seat and provide a frame for my Cali top which doesn't use bows.

#15 ·

i added a rear section and pushed it back a couple inches to maximize useable space. i cut the down bars out as they are extraneous and make it impossible for people to get in and out. really no need to have a "family" cage if no one is going to be in the back. the holes for the spreader bars were also filled in by grafting a portion of the old tubing into the factory hoop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.