Adding a Choke Thermostat to a Motorcraft 2100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Adding a Choke Thermostat to a Motorcraft 2100

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
pkearney06

Adding a Choke Thermostat to a Motorcraft 2100

Hi, I just bought a choke thermostat to convert my manual choke. The choke I bought was Choke Thermostat by GP Sorensen - Part 779-1525 - Advance Auto Parts. So, I have a question...I found out how the choke thermostat mounts...it says climatic choke on the top and there is a place to run an electric wire to it...do I need an electric wire going to the thermostat...and where do I run it to/from? Any help on this matter would help...also, how do I line the choke thermostat to where it's supposed to be? It came with no instructions and I've never messed with it before.

Thanks,
Patrick

pkearney06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It should be a blue wire with a brownish connector at the end coming from the firewall, ill get a picture up later, hope the PO didn't cut it.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
pkearney06

Oh, beechedjeepyj you're always here to help. So, I bought a Carter climatic thermostat...I know that it has to be hooked up to the ignition (I would appreciate a picture, thanks)...but can I just ground it straight to the carb?
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
pkearney06

Sorry, didn't mean ignition, meant power source...
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry its a extreme close up of where it connects, that wire just goes into the loom of wires at the firewall. Not to sure of what it does from there, you'll want to tie it into the ignition relay so it only draws power when the engine is running.

Unread 03-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
pkearney06

Can I just connect it to the fuse box to something that is only on when the ignition is on...like the wiper motors? Will that work?
Unread 03-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #7
86YJSEANVA
1986 YJ Wrangler 

then your wipers need to be on for that to be on. and the more you turn the wipers on the more it will have just connect it to one of the fuses near the bottom left of the compartment. i connected a dome light to one for then (forgot which one now) but just find one that you don't use or if you have an extra slot well there you go thats all you need. (BTW the awesome light i fixed for my dad well he broke it...)
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
pkearney06

I'll give that a try and let you know. Can I ground the thermostat to the carb (if I'm not mistaken that's like grounding it to the body isn't it)? There's a mounting bracket that has plenty of room to put a release for the grounding wire...is it recommended?
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
pkearney06

Meant mounting screw, not mounting bracket.
Unread 03-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
4LarXedo4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachedjeepyj View Post
Sorry its a extreme close up of where it connects, that wire just goes into the loom of wires at the firewall. Not to sure of what it does from there, you'll want to tie it into the ignition relay so it only draws power when the engine is running.
so that wire to the electric choke should have voltage all the time when the key is on? if it's on all the time then what disengages the choke after its warmed up?
4LarXedo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #11
pkearney06

When it warms up, the butterfly opens...you want the butterfly open the whole time the engine is warm. When you turn the key off, the coil inside begins to slowly cool down and closes the butterfly...the colder the engine, the more closed the butterfly...the warmer the engine...the more open.
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey did you ever get it working? I found out that the electric choke is tied into the oil pressure switch.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.