adding brake fluid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > adding brake fluid

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
driftbandito
1988 YJ Wrangler 

adding brake fluid

This may be a bit of a dumb question, but do i add brake fluid to both sides of the master cylinder and roughly how high should i fill it. thanks

driftbandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
yjmoose
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you are needing to add a lot of brake fluid, on MY jeep it usually means that the cylinder's/pistons are pushed all the way out, and it would be a good time to check the amount of brake pads you have left. If the pads are all good, you might have a leak which is a very common problem with our older jeeps. If you are needing to add brake fluid frequently I would suspect a leak. Check the Hard lines, as these like to rust out.

Now, to actually answer your questions, Yes, you would add fluid to both sides of the reservoir, The small side to the front is for your rear brakes, and the larger side to the rear is actually for your front brakes. You would add fluid to the top, being careful not to spill it out of the top, (maybe about 1/4 of an inch from the top) and then push the gasket that is in the top back into itself until its flat. Then reinstall the cap.

Hope that helps

Yjmoose
yjmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Look at the back side of your wheels and see if it looks wet/damp if it does you have a leak . Also look around the master cyclinder and inside the jeep where the brake rod goes through the firewall .

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.