Adding 3point seat belt to back seat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Adding 3point seat belt to back seat

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-22-2002, 03:39 PM   #1
NJjeepster

Adding 3point seat belt to back seat

Can I put in a pair of three point belts from some other vehicle in the back of my YJ? If so, where do I bolt the top? To the roll bar?
From time to time I haul around the teenage surfing sons to a further beach and I would feel better.

NJjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 03:51 PM   #2
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I'm assuming that you've got a 91 or older. The 92 and newer rollbars will fit (and have the shoulder strap belts) and it seems that there are people out there willing to swap for the older style. Post in the wanted section and also check ebay for a 92-95 rollbar. HTH

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 03:59 PM   #3
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I was just in the for sale forum and saw a 93 YJ rollbar for sale. It is in VA; I'm not sure if it is still for sale or if it is a long drive for you...

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
Unread 10-22-2002, 04:26 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Re: Adding 3point seat belt to back seat

Quote:
Originally posted by NJjeepster
Can I put in a pair of three point belts from some other vehicle in the back of my YJ? If so, where do I bolt the top? To the roll bar?
From time to time I haul around the teenage surfing sons to a further beach and I would feel better.
There have been several messages on this .. but if you have the 45 degree roll bar (like I do), you cannot put shoulder belts in.

If you have the 90 degree roll bar (also known as the family cage), it comes with the mounts already there for the shoulder straps.

Another option is to have a custom cage made up .. with shoulder belts for the rear people, and with a 5-point harness for the front people .. and 6 points (maybe even 8 points) tied right to the frame. A little overkill for a street Jeep, but its almost enough for hard-core trail usage.

Over in our sister site, JeepZine.com there is a writeup about putting in a full-cage into a Jeep. Very well written and documented.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2002, 07:09 AM   #5
wckdyj

Why would he not be able to put in shoulder harnesses if he did the swap? I did the swap and I have shoulder harnesses.

For the best prices on parts and all your fabrication needs, call us at (610) 358-3179 or visit us at www.upnover.com
wckdyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2002, 07:57 AM   #6
NJjeepster

I like the idea of a roll bar swap. I would assume that the family roll bar offers better protection for the teens in the back anyway. We don't take back seat passengers often, especially in the winter. But in the summer I will use it to take them to surf contests. Do you have to do any welding to switch roll bars or do they just bolt in all around?
Unread 10-23-2002, 08:09 AM   #7
AllanAlxndr

Quote:
I like the idea of a roll bar swap. I would assume that the family roll bar offers better protection for the teens in the back anyway. We don't take back seat passengers often, especially in the winter. But in the summer I will use it to take them to surf contests. Do you have to do any welding to switch roll bars or do they just bolt in all around?
It should bolt all around, and If I remember right, you should only need to drill one hole...

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2002, 08:10 AM   #8
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Do you have to do any welding to switch roll bars or do they just bolt in all around?
I don't think so, but check out THIS thread. On the second page of posts someone who had done the swap said that some holes need to be drilled - otherwise it is pretty straightforward.

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
Unread 10-23-2002, 09:03 AM   #9
NJjeepster

Thanks guys

hubby loves to have an excuse to hit the junk yards on a Saturday. So if I actually ask him to go looking for the full roll bar he will be in heaven. He'll come home with other stuff anyway. Last week he came back telling me there was a junk yard for sale and let's buy it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.