added lights on windshield and front bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > added lights on windshield and front bumper

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Reply
Unread 01-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
jeepstillhaslif
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: alice, TX
Posts: 169
added lights on windshield and front bumper

I installed some driving led on my windshield with a switch located in the jeep. I then had to fab up a push horn witch wasn't that hard but I have a question. Before I ask, the switch to the lights does have a fuse in between and is running to the battery. Now I just added some fog lights to the front bumper I haven't hooked them up yet, would it be to much on my jeep if I had another switch to control the fog lights which would also have a fuse and running to the battery as well. All help would he appreciated

jeepstillhaslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
bgredjeep
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,464
yes, you should have a fuse. If you are running a relay to power the lights, you don't really need a fuse on the switch, but would still need one on the power lead from the battery to the relay.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
jeepstillhaslif
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: alice, TX
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
yes, you should have a fuse. If you are running a relay to power the lights, you don't really need a fuse on the switch, but would still need one on the power lead from the battery to the relay.
I wouldn't say its a relay. On my led driving lights on my windshield its pretty much that switch kit that comes standard with any lights you buy. I'm probably making it confusing and apologize for that. But can I install another switch kit for the fog lights. Or will it be to much on my alternator/battery
jeepstillhaslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
gotswap
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Peyton, Colorado
Posts: 76
LED's hardly pull anything, wouldn't worry about it
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
1320yj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 181
Everything electrical needs to have a fuse no matter how much it draws, the electrical load has nothing to do with the possability of a component failing or a short in the wiring.
1320yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
dancytron
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: st. louis
Posts: 1,117
Yes, you need a fuse, just go to the autoparts store and buy an inline fuse holder and whatever fuse you think needs. Put it as close to the battery as possible. It isn't to protect the light, it is to protect the power wire from shorting out on the way to the light.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Jewoodywood
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Gwynn Oak, Maryland
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepstillhaslif View Post
I installed some driving led on my windshield with a switch located in the jeep. I then had to fab up a push horn witch wasn't that hard but I have a question. Before I ask, the switch to the lights does have a fuse in between and is running to the battery. Now I just added some fog lights to the front bumper I haven't hooked them up yet, would it be to much on my jeep if I had another switch to control the fog lights which would also have a fuse and running to the battery as well. All help would he appreciated
do you have a pic...I have a 95 YJ also and I just added lights in the front and on the windshield also...didn't really have a guide so I put my own twist on it
Jewoodywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
jeepstillhaslif
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: alice, TX
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewoodywood View Post

do you have a pic...I have a 95 YJ also and I just added lights in the front and on the windshield also...didn't really have a guide so I put my own twist on it
Sure do. I can't send pics on here Cuz there to big to post. Send me your number thru message and I'll get u a pic of the diagram as well on how there suppose to be hooked up. Pretty simple.
jeepstillhaslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
Jewoodywood
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Gwynn Oak, Maryland
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepstillhaslif View Post
Sure do. I can't send pics on here Cuz there to big to post. Send me your number thru message and I'll get u a pic of the diagram as well on how there suppose to be hooked up. Pretty simple.
take a look at the pis in my gallery and tell me what you think
Jewoodywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
jeepstillhaslif
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: alice, TX
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewoodywood View Post
take a look at the pis in my gallery and tell me what you think
I looked at your gallery you got a prerrtty nice jeep. I could only wish mine would look like that but got to rebuild motor first. I saw your lights on your bumper and windshield but couldnt see how there wired up.
jeepstillhaslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #11
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark
 
Carlos14's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 4,040
Your question is if it's okay to add another set of lights from your battery without upgrading it? If so then yes, You should have no problem adding those lights on your bumper. I am still running stock alt. and single battery even with all my lights. Granted, my 50" bar draws less amperage than a set of stock headlights, you should be fine adding the bumper pair on a switch.

__________________
Teenager With A Dream Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #12
jeepstillhaslif
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: alice, TX
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
Your question is if it's okay to add another set of lights from your battery without upgrading it? If so then yes, You should have no problem adding those lights on your bumper. I am still running stock alt. and single battery even with all my lights. Granted, my 50" bar draws less amperage than a set of stock headlights, you should be fine adding the bumper pair on a switch.
Haha yep that pretty much was my question. Made it complicated. So it would be ok to add another switch in to power the front lights.
jeepstillhaslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #13
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark
 
Carlos14's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 4,040
Yes. I have 8 switches sending power to my Auxiliary lights.
__________________
Teenager With A Dream Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is online now   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.