To add shackles or not to add shackles that is the question! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To add shackles or not to add shackles that is the question!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

View Poll Results: To shackle or not to shackle
Add shackle lift 14 51.85%
Do not add shackle lift 8 29.63%
Other 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

To add shackles or not to add shackles that is the question!

I am about to order a 1in daystar Bl and a 1in JKS MML, I already have a lift and tires on the jeep. (check sig for stats) Should I add 1in shackles also?

If you choose other, please state what I should do.

Unread 09-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
ixl4

get a cheap harbor freight winch instead.

i dont care what people say,
ive used mine countless times, and even pulled out an explorer out of a ditch after the driver fell asleep and crashed...

$499 for a 8000lbs winch.

its slow, yeah, but whats the rush?

check my sig for my mods, u dont need shackles

2000 Sport Manual.
Mods: RE 3.5 / JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML / Rough Country Adjustable Trackbar / Dunlop Rover 33s Cragar 397 Soft Wheels / Winch / Nates4x4 Front Bumper & Rear w/ Tire Carrier / RE .75" Spacers / P.O.R.C. SYE / RE CV DS / Nth Degree Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms / SkyJacker Front and Rear Lower Arms
ixl4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixl4 View Post
get a cheap harbor freight winch instead.

i dont care what people say,
ive used mine countless times, and even pulled out an explorer out of a ditch after the driver fell asleep and crashed...

$499 for a 8000lbs winch.

its slow, yeah, but whats the rush?

check my sig for my mods, u dont need shackles
You know you can get a smittybilt for almost half that right? Smittybilt 97281 - Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch - Quadratec

I personally, would skip the shackle lift and spend the money on a winch as well. See above link for my choice.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
vmann7
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Take it from someone with em, don't. Especially with your 4" lift.
vmann7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxnyj18 View Post
I am about to order a 1in daystar Bl and a 1in JKS MML, I already have a lift and tires on the jeep. (check sig for stats) Should I add 1in shackles also?

If you choose other, please state what I should do.
Why limit it to 1"? Go all the way and do the homebrew 2' lift. You get more lift at a cheaper price, it's a win-win situation.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have some greasable boomerangs. I think they are 5/8" longer but I wasn't looking for lift just more travel in the rear. I got some for the front because the stock shackles holes were wallored out and it will keep from inverting. I've had that happen and it sucks without a crowbar handy. Plus I like the fact that I can grease them.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarambo101 View Post
Why limit it to 1"? Go all the way and do the homebrew 2' lift. You get more lift at a cheaper price, it's a win-win situation.
I am having a tough time trying to figure out if this is sarcastic or serious?????

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 09-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I already have the shackles, thats why im wondering. Plus if I get a winch I will need the body lift, since the front already sits lower.
Unread 09-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
I already have the shackles, thats why im wondering. Plus if I get a winch I will need the body lift, since the front already sits lower.
Put the body lift etc on and then decide. But a shackle lift with 4" RC springs could cause more harm than good.

Unread 09-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
I am having a tough time trying to figure out if this is sarcastic or serious?????
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the wrangler with 2 foot shackles welded out of scrap metal.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Put the body lift etc on and then decide. But a shackle lift with 4" RC springs could cause more harm than good.
Okay thanks.
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
VERY sarcastic. I was referring to the CJ that had the 24" lift shackles, and the 12" wheel spacers. I don't know anything about RC springs, but RE includes .5" lift shackles with their 4.5" kit, so I't probably wouldn't do too much harm.
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Can you discuss the REASONS for this stuff? Why are you getting the MML and BL? You after a flat belly skid? Do you rub now when flexed? Is that the reason? How about TJ flares?

I guess I'm not sure what your goals are.

Pete
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, i am getting the body lift for extra lift and extra clearance. Right now I dont rub while flexing, but i'm still connected so that may change some things. If you look in my build thread you can see that i dont have too much room in the front. With that said, since i do have a 4in lift with a tc drop, I want to make sure i dont had any vibrations what so ever. Also, because I dont want to mess with the fan shroud, and since i'll be doing the electic fan it will make it easier.

But tj flares are out of the question, i dont want them and will never have them on my jeep, unless i get a tj. Also, i may be getting a winch or bumpers in the future and that will help me with the extra weight.
Unread 09-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, i am getting the body lift for extra lift and extra clearance. Right now I dont rub while flexing, but i'm still connected so that may change some things. If you look in my build thread you can see that i dont have too much room in the front. With that said, since i do have a 4in lift with a tc drop, I want to make sure i dont had any vibrations what so ever. Also, because I dont want to mess with the fan shroud, and since i'll be doing the electic fan it will make it easier.

But tj flares are out of the question, i dont want them and will never have them on my jeep, unless i get a tj. Also, i may be getting a winch or bumpers in the future and that will help me with the extra weight.
If you are planning on putting the extra weight on the front, get more lift in the front than the rear. My front sagged about .5" from the extra weight of the winch and bumper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.