Add A Leaf - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Add A Leaf

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
trwedgn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Add A Leaf

I'm helping my 15 year old grandson fix up his 88 Wrangler. He wants to install a lift kit. I've been looking at the various options and also the prices. The least expensive route is an add-a-leaf kit. I've see one from Rukse and one from Rox. They both claim to add 2" - 3". I'd like to hear from someone that has actually installed one of these kits and to hear if it worked as advertised. Please don't respond if you're just going to tell me to save my money and buy the expensive package.

trwedgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I installed one way back when my Jeep was still new.
It rode horrible.
I did still have the front and rear trac bars on it at the time so that would add to it.
I was able to run 31 inch tires.
If the Jeep in question springs are already sagging the add a leaf probably will not do much good.
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do you know or suspect that the leafs are original, and are you planning on reusing the 25 year old ubolts, nuts, spring bushings etc?

If so, I advise not to do so.

If the leafs do increase the height by 2-3", are you planning on running the same length shocks on a suspension that now surpasses their length when cycled?
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
trwedgn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

OK - If it was for myself, I think I'd go the add-a-leaf rote. But, seeing as how this is my grandson's, I'll go with a kit. I'm looking for about 2 1/2" of lift and it looks like the least expensive kit is offered by Rough Country. Does anyone have any experience with that setup? I'm changing out all the brake lines, so I'll just get the longer rubber hoses. Should I lower the transfer case, and if so, by how much? Will the pitman arm have to be replaced? What am I forgetting?
trwedgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Joe100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Old Leafs

I had a freind had old springs off a CJ I disassembled, cleaned ,painted took the one's (Leaf) that I wanted to add and am still running them on my 89 YJ which had broken leafs I added one leaf extra to each raised Jeep off oversized tires . Works for me. Joe100 All new U bolts and hardware.
Joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwedgn
OK - If it was for myself, I think I'd go the add-a-leaf rote. But, seeing as how this is my grandson's, I'll go with a kit. I'm looking for about 2 1/2" of lift and it looks like the least expensive kit is offered by Rough Country. Does anyone have any experience with that setup? I'm changing out all the brake lines, so I'll just get the longer rubber hoses. Should I lower the transfer case, and if so, by how much? Will the pitman arm have to be replaced? What am I forgetting?
Don't go rough country. If you are EVER going to be riding in it you won't like it. Just get old man emu or bds suspension only suspensions you should look at

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

I added a leaf to my stock 1989 YJ. They will not generally give you 2 or 3 inches of lift, but more like 1 1/2. They did give my worn stock springs some additional support but the ride is very stiff and given the fact that to install them you have to do all the same steps you would need to do to put in new springs, I would go with a full kit if your budget allows.

BTW- I did have to get larger U bolts and also had to cut off the stack alignment binders on to get the leafs installed. Both easily replaced at the Local Autoparts store.

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would suggest leaving the springs & shocks alone for now (well, if the shocks are wiped, then just get decent replacements at the auto store)

since at 15 he's really just starting, I would go with a 1" body lift and 1/2" to 1" lift shackles. this combo will be the least expensive route and still allow him to fit 31s on it. Then if/when he decides he wants to keep it and build it up more, he can keep the body lift and shackles to supplement whatever suspension lift he chooses to buy.

as far as Rough Country goes, most around here shy away from them (or run away screaming)... they don't have the best reputation for decent ride or spring longevity. Most find they tend to sag quite a bit over a surprisingly short time
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.