Add 5 gallons to your YJ's gas tank in less than 1/2 hour?? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Add 5 gallons to your YJ's gas tank in less than 1/2 hour??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 03-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #76
jakechristina
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced my Fuel pump the other day and did this mod while I was at it. after i replaced the tank was able to get 19.8 gals of fuel in there.

jakechristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #77
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK what was this so called tube installed for, what does it do. And what happens by shorting it. I do know from experience that I run out of gas at 1/4 on the gauge. And if I can 20 gallons I could keep from mounting a 5 gallon can on the back.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #78
Alacran
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1 View Post
OK what was this so called tube installed for, what does it do. And what happens by shorting it.
One of the mysteries of life. Doesn't really do anything other than cut down on the amount of gas you can put in the tank.
Alacran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #79
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1 View Post
OK what was this so called tube installed for, what does it do. And what happens by shorting it. I do know from experience that I run out of gas at 1/4 on the gauge. And if I can 20 gallons I could keep from mounting a 5 gallon can on the back.
It was originally an 'upgrade option' from Chrysler. So basically, $$$.

The tube sticks down into the tank so when the fuel line reaches the end of it, the pump senses a change in pressure and shuts off automatically. Also the more the pump is open, the more splashback will occur and may shut off early as fuel bubbles and sloshes around into the tube before the tank is actually full. By shortening or removing it, more fuel gets into the tank before it hits the tube (or filling neck if you yanked it out completely).
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #80
miwoodar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm glad I decided to look up the '20 gallon tank' mod to see what it was. Here's a bump for the thread. Time to go check my hose clamp. Hopefully it is in an available position so I won't have to drop the tank.
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #81
dswi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is there any chance of the fuel pump electrical connections (inside of the tank) getting gas on them???
Or actually...Is this a problem (not to sound too stpid...but, fuel plus spark = BIG BANG!).

Or is it designed for this?
dswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #82
jeepercreeper77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

it's desired to be submerged in gas.
90 wrangler,4.2l,1" MML,CRT HEI Dist.,34/34(interco) weber, hurst shftr,5spd,5" BDS lft,f-d30/r-8.8,5/8 lft booms,1" bl,tflex belly up,JB convs. SYE,gdyr mtr35s,hurc'ed,smit src frt bump,gen-r rear bump w/tire carrier,f&r tube fenders,psc knokrs,r gen-rgt ful conr gurds,duel bat.,BIC,m8000
jeepercreeper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #83
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, I live in CT where the Emissions laws are real tough - any known Emissions issues when doing this mod? I have been told there may be...

KCCO no matter what life throws your way!
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #84
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
This makes working much easier since there are less gas fumes in the tank and the workarea.
the link above states this!.. WRONG.. if you empty your tank, you'll have MORE fumes.. a quarter tank of gas will explode with any spark or flame, a full tank of gas will not.. it may ignite, but will not explode.. so be leary of emptying your tank and feeling secure with the supposedly non-existent fumes..
Unread 06-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #85
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaurus View Post
Only 91+ as far as I know, 87-90 there were actually 2 different tanks.
Yeah i thought i had a 15 gallon tank than i decided to actually fill it up.. and added like 18 gallons..
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #86
gkainz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by islwayn View Post
the link above states this!.. WRONG.. if you empty your tank, you'll have MORE fumes.. a quarter tank of gas will explode with any spark or flame, a full tank of gas will not.. it may ignite, but will not explode.. so be leary of emptying your tank and feeling secure with the supposedly non-existent fumes..
I disagree that you'll have more fumes. You're not increasing your tank's physical internal dimensions or capacity. You're simply modifying the fill and return tubes to allow more of the tank's original capacity to be used. You will have the same amount of fumes in the tank regardless of this mod.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #87
Dhofstet
1995 YJ Wrangler 

He means if you plan on emptying your tank before this mod. If you empty your tank you will have more fumes than if you left it full or half full..
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #88
57plymouth
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_panda View Post
Has anybody been able to do this w/o dropping the tank on a Jeep with stock suspension?
Mine has no enhancements- yet...

Yes. No problem at all. I used a very long set of needle nose pliers. They are about 10" long. They were able to grab the tube from below and pull it out no problem.

Of course, the tube in mine was only three inches long. Does that mean the tank in my Jeep is a 15 gallon maximum capacity tank? I know the previous owner pulled it out to replace the fuel pump, but I don't think he replaced the tank. Also, my guage never reads more than 3/4. What's up with that?
Unread 06-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #89
dswi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plymouth View Post
Yes. No problem at all. I used a very long set of needle nose pliers. They are about 10" long. They were able to grab the tube from below and pull it out no problem.

Also, my gauge never reads more than 3/4. What's up with that?
There is a small pan in the bottom of the gas tank that might have broken loose....I know when I was changing my fuel pump the other day (I only had to buy the 2" piece of hose that was deteriorated instead of the whole pump) I did the mod to the gas tank and removed the small "pan" under the fuel pump that had broken loose...Others have done this and it has been successful...

I believe it was originally put there to not run out of gas on a hill or something....Mine seems to be fine without it.

Your fuel gauge float might be stuck on that plastic POS in the bottom of the tank.
dswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #90
95jy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks man great write up
95jy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.