Add 5 gallons to your YJ's gas tank in less than 1/2 hour?? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Add 5 gallons to your YJ's gas tank in less than 1/2 hour??

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 12-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #61
TJineering
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ya this is true in both TJ's and YJ's. I did this to my tank in my TJ and got an extra 4 gallons out of it. Well worth the time!

Jeep - 99 TJ - 2002 4.0
TJineering is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #62
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i gotta do this...i really have been wanting more fuel in the tank...

you know what i was thinking, i have a 4 banger i think the tank holds 11.5 gallons, will this apply to me too?
Unread 12-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #63
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay folks, 95 yj - I have this done, One problem, the vent tube that I removed is only approx 2.5" long. Either the mod has been done by PO or mine is not the same as the others mentioned. Either way I get approx 300 miles to the tank at approx 18 mpg = 16.66666 gallons of gas. What am I missing. That is when I fill it totally to the brim, running out on the ground. The most gas I have put in it was 15 to 16 gallons with it empty. I still have it apart if anyone has a quick answer. I don't think the mod had been done because the clamp that is so hard to get to was facing up. What person would have put it back in the same hard to get to position??
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #64
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can go to this site (Chrysler Customer Assistance) and request your build sheet. Of course you'll need to have your VIN available to type in , but they will get back to you via email within a few days, and the build sheet will tell you if your YJ came factory with the "20 gallon tank option." https://www.chryslerllc.com/en/chrysler_listens/

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #65
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
You can go to this site (Chrysler Customer Assistance) and request your build sheet. Of course you'll need to have your VIN available to type in , but they will get back to you via email within a few days, and the build sheet will tell you if your YJ came factory with the "20 gallon tank option." https://www.chryslerllc.com/en/chrysler_listens/

nice thanks
Unread 12-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #66
JimZA
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is there anything in there that can break?

I alway fill up and put in about 13-14 gallons when empty. Out of the blue, last week I was filling the tank and when it reached 17 1/2 I stopped filling. I actually looked under the jeep to make sure it wasn't pouring out into the road or something. It buried the gas gauge past "F" and remained there for a few days. Seems to be dropping like normal now.
JimZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #67
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZA View Post
Is there anything in there that can break?

I alway fill up and put in about 13-14 gallons when empty. Out of the blue, last week I was filling the tank and when it reached 17 1/2 I stopped filling. I actually looked under the jeep to make sure it wasn't pouring out into the road or something. It buried the gas gauge past "F" and remained there for a few days. Seems to be dropping like normal now.
wow, possibly your reserve tank, just opened and is no longer seperate from your main tank
Unread 12-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #68
carl6405
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ya know, I bought my 93 YJ just this past March. Apparently, this mod was already done. When I fill up, the guage goes way past full. On the flip side of that, just the other day, I was down to just above a quarter tank, according to my guage, but it took 19.5 gallons to fill it up. Just then I realized that the mod had been done, and to make and now I know where empty really is.
carl6405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 05:42 AM   #69
Alacran
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contra View Post
wow, possibly your reserve tank, just opened and is no longer seperate from your main tank
Reserve tank? That's a new one to me.
Alacran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #70
Zer0
1993 YJ Wrangler 

a good word of advise for anyone who tries this; get a really good pair of pliers. It unbelievable how they wedge that inner tube in there.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #71
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
a good word of advise for anyone who tries this; get a really good pair of pliers. It unbelievable how they wedge that inner tube in there.
True. Vise grips and WD-40 seemed to help.
Unread 12-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #72
JaySpencer66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had a 20 gallon tank on mine where I did a fuel filler re-location http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-fuel-filler-relocation-604160/ Not that you can see it in the shots that well, but getting to the clamps is not too bad if you pull the license plate and filler out. I was able to get my clamps off with a 1/4" wratchet and the correct socket.
[color=#996600]/l[/color][color=#000000] , [/color][color=#996600] [[/color][color=#000000]____[/color][color=#996600]][/color],
[color=#996600]l---L--[color=#CCCCCC][][/color][color=#996600]lllllll[/color][color=#CCCCCC][][/color]-[/color]
[color=#000000][b]()_) ()_)[/b]----[b])_)[/b]
[/color][Url=http://www.deepblueforum.com]Deep Blue Forum[/url]
Member #1 of the "I Hate Torx Club!"
~anyone with a Jeep is an automatic member, and anyone can be member #1~
JaySpencer66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #73
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

bring this back to life....i don't want to forget to try this mod on my day off!!!

i am going to request my build sheet in the meantime!

thanks for this guys!
Unread 03-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #74
Bojeepus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

did this mod now i get aroun 300 to 325 miles a tank
Bojeepus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #75
ugmo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did this mod on my first jeep about 6 yrs ago and did it when replacing the pump, so the tank was on the ground. I cut the tube down to 3" and got about 18.5 gal out of the mod.

I did the mod to my current jeep a few months ago and it was a pita without dropping the tank a couple of inches. Also, for some reason the tube seemed harder to get out, but I wedged a thin screwdriver between the tube and inlet to put a small bend in it and then pulled it out with needle-nose pliers. I just tossed the tube out and didn't worry about cutting it down. I went on a long trip a couple of weeks ago and coasted into a remote town while riding on fumes (had extra gas in back but did not need it ). Put 19.76 gals in the tank on that stop, so I'm thinking that tossing the tube is probably the best part of the mod.
ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.