Add 5 gallons to your YJ's gas tank in less than 1/2 hour?? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Add 5 gallons to your YJ's gas tank in less than 1/2 hour??

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #46
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did the mod, only I removed the entire tube, did the same thing, and never an issue with it.

Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #47
boaty1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Just did this adjustment on my 94. You'll notice that unless you change the fuel tank sender the fuel gauge reads full for alot longer. I've got 106 miles on my new tank and it still reads full.
Many people always wonder why there gas guage takes longer to come off of full than it does to move the rest of the way. For example: I have heard so many say that the first half lasts muchy longer than the second half does.

The reason for this is, there is a FLOAT inside of the gas tank. Most of the time the float does not come all the way up to the top of the tank, its an arm that doesnt allow it to reach the top. Therefore, when you Fill and top off your tank, the float is submerged under gas and might be as far as several inches below the surface. This is where you get your guage reading.

You may have already known this, but MANY people always wonder why the frist half takes longer and the second half goes so fast.

http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/funkytruck/play.php

90 yj, new reman 4.2 ax15, weber 32/36, 2 1/2" RC lift, discos, 1" boom shackles, tcase drop (I HAD TOO). homemade flares.
boaty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #48
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaty1 View Post
Many people always wonder why there gas guage takes longer to come off of full than it does to move the rest of the way. For example: I have heard so many say that the first half lasts muchy longer than the second half does.

The reason for this is, there is a FLOAT inside of the gas tank. Most of the time the float does not come all the way up to the top of the tank, its an arm that doesnt allow it to reach the top. Therefore, when you Fill and top off your tank, the float is submerged under gas and might be as far as several inches below the surface. This is where you get your guage reading.

You may have already known this, but MANY people always wonder why the frist half takes longer and the second half goes so fast.
I had a Ford van with duel tanks at one time. The extra tank wold read full for most of the tank of gas. when it did move i had about 20 mile of fuel left and that gauge went down fast. It was a 18 gal tank. That was the worst.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #49
Sakis94Wrangler
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did mine without dropping the tank, the clamps are pretty tough to get to, but pulling out that plastic tube... Whew!! I was scared I was going to break the neck off the tank. I ended up pulling about six inches out and cut it off.
Sakis94Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #50
pointech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I finally did this. Had to drop my fuel tank to replace the leaky rubber lines with new ones. If you have your fuel tank out there is no reason not to do this modification. It is nice to be able to go more miles between fill ups. Since I still have the 15 gallon sending unit the fuel gauge doesn't drop until I have gone 100 miles after a fill up.

Tom in Virginia
pointech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #51
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaty1 View Post

I would get this problem even before the mod, because i would just "overfill" past 15 gallons.
sprngrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #52
jvilla112
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i'm gonna do this tomorrow, has anyone had a problem with leaking gas out of the rear after doing this (when standing your jeep straight up)?
Unread 10-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #53
jrollings
1995 ZJ 

im gonna do this mod asap. ive know about it for at least a year from other forums just have been to lazy to do it but im gettin tired of just bein able to put 11-12 gals in at a time from being empty.
Member of the 638th ASB out of Lafayette, IN
91B All wheeled vehicle mechanic
88M Motor Transport Operator
jrollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #54
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone done this with a 1" BL? Just wanting to know how much easier it would be. What would the downside in just not putting the tube back in at all? Thanks,

Jerry
Unread 10-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #55
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
Has anyone done this with a 1" BL? Just wanting to know how much easier it would be. What would the downside in just not putting the tube back in at all? Thanks,

Jerry
It's awfully easy to start with, so I'm not sure how much the body lift would help. There's no downside to leaving the tube out.
Unread 10-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #56
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Glad this thread was resurrected. I did this mod a few months ago and it has been very worthwhile. You can do it quickly, but I took the opportunity to drop the tank, replace ALL of the rubber fuel lines between tank and hard lines, fill and vent hoses, hose clamps, and the filter. Painted the skid plate as well. You would never believe the filth that drained out the back of the filter.
When you do this though, (drop the tank) do it when you're on empty, it is a lot easier when it is lighter.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #57
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

easy mod, makes you feel like you are getting great fuel milage since your fuel gauge will be on full for a long time before it moves

John
johnrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #58
T-Mack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

hant done the mod yet but my guage dosnt move past 3/4 of a tank any way, ill have to do this one if i replace the sending unit or maybe ill do the mod first then replace the sending unit later down the road
T-Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #59
jrollings
1995 ZJ 

did the mod today very easy. didnt even have to drop my tank. i added 6 gallons afterwards on top of a "full tank" to begin with.
Member of the 638th ASB out of Lafayette, IN
91B All wheeled vehicle mechanic
88M Motor Transport Operator
jrollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #60
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I read somewhere that the tank needs to be almost empty (no more then 1/4 full) to do this mod. Is that true? Rainy day, dry shop, good time to do it but 3/4 tank of gas. Will that be a problem?

Thanks folks for all the help!!!
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.