Add 5 gallons to your YJ's gas tank in less than 1/2 hour?? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Add 5 gallons to your YJ's gas tank in less than 1/2 hour??

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #31
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickle26 View Post
I haven't done this mod but was looking at my 94 YJ factory build sheet and it says I have the 20 gallon tank.

NFAP - 20 gallon fuel tank

The weird thing is, I have only been able to fit roughly 14.5 gallons in my tank. Granted, I have never ran it completely empty but when my gauge gets right down to the 'red line' - 14.5 is the most I can get into the tank. It makes me think I don't actually have the 20 gallon.
Just wondering if any of you have checked your build sheets if it says 15 gallon or 20 gallon --- or if Jeep just listed 20 gallon on all build sheets because the actual tank is 20 gallons.
The build sheet Chrysler gave me says mine has the 15 gal tank

NFSS - 15 Gallon Fuel Tank

1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #32
goatchze
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishdwarf View Post
I don't know about the build sheet, but YJ gas gauges are notoriously inaccurate.
What are you talking about? My gas gauge is very accurate. When it hits half of a tank it means your empty!!! LOL.
Unread 02-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #33
dzrtrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

After reading this post i decided to give it a try, took about a half hour, 15 min. just to remove the tube. i'll be filling up tomorrow so we'll see how much it takes.
dzrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #34
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm lucky if I can get 12 gallons in mine...
Is there a way to correct or fix the sending unit? Mine seems to be fairly accurate, but I REALLY want to do this mod as I can't even get close to 15 gallons!
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:05 AM   #35
Alacran
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If your sure that your sending unit is accurate I would just go ahead and do the mod. Just be aware that the first 1/4 of a tank of gas will read full. You can always replace the sending unit but it's alot of work and expense and the sending unit doesn't change how much gas you get out of a tank.
Alacran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #36
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanella View Post
How difficult is it to do this? The instructions posted are good, but I'm sure I'll get hung up somewhere... Not really sure what I'm looking at.

There's really only 2 tough spots, 1 if you're smart...

- Lowering/raising the tank with fuel in it. Try to siphon it out first, even a gallon sloshing around in there makes that thing hard to finesse between the leaf springs.

- Loosening the hose clamps. It's so cramped in there, you might need a nub of a screwdriver to loosen them. Especially if the heads are pointed toward the wheel well like mine were. I ended up drilling a small hole in the bed right behind the wheel well and using a really long, skinny flathead to do mine. If you are lucky, they will be pointed towards the rear quarter-panel instead. If not, I hope you know a midget.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 02:46 PM   #37
papa_panda

Has anybody been able to do this w/o dropping the tank on a Jeep with stock suspension?
Mine has no enhancements- yet...

Marine Corps Jeep Club Member #7

White Jeep Club Member #350
papa_panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #38
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Um...so now instead of costing $40 to fill up it will be $50. I don't need another reason to shoot myself, the heep's full of them already

1996 Cherokee XJ, All stock except for a Flow Master exhaust.........for now. He He.

http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/tucson/
Sambox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #39
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip J Fry View Post
There's really only 2 tough spots, 1 if you're smart...

- Lowering/raising the tank with fuel in it. Try to siphon it out first, even a gallon sloshing around in there makes that thing hard to finesse between the leaf springs.
Just run it down low and do the mod with a near empty tank.

Quote:
- Loosening the hose clamps. It's so cramped in there, you might need a nub of a screwdriver to loosen them. Especially if the heads are pointed toward the wheel well like mine were. I ended up drilling a small hole in the bed right behind the wheel well and using a really long, skinny flathead to do mine. If you are lucky, they will be pointed towards the rear quarter-panel instead. If not, I hope you know a midget.
Get a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and cut the hose clamps out and put new ones in. Couple of $$ for new clamps sure beats the hastle of trying to remove the stock ones.

Those who are worried about the sending unit, after you burn off the first 6-7 gallons of gas the gauge will come down and you will have around 13 gallons with the needle just below Full. Half tank around 7 gallons and when it gets close to empty it really is close to empty. A proper sending unit is definately not worth the money or hastle.
Unread 02-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #40
Alacran
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_panda View Post
Has anybody been able to do this w/o dropping the tank on a Jeep with stock suspension?
Mine has no enhancements- yet...
I did mine without dropping the tank. It's tight but doable and I don't have the smallest hands in the world. Just take your time and don't get frustrated. The hardest part for me also was removing the inner vent tube.
Unread 02-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #41
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I did mine without dropping the tank. It's tight but doable and I don't have the smallest hands in the world. Just take your time and don't get frustrated. The hardest part for me also was removing the inner vent tube.
Yep. It took me longer to get that tube out than to do the rest of the job.
Unread 02-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #42
papa_panda

Quote:
Did yours have a stock suspension at the time? Most of those that have posted I see have some kind of lift, which I'm sure really helps... I'm just wondering....

Marine Corps Jeep Club Member #7

White Jeep Club Member #350
papa_panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #43
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I thought that was the easiest part. I just shoved my Swiss Army blade between it and the outer tube and pried it up enough in a few spots to deform it. Then I clamped down on it with some pliers and yanked it right out. My knuckles looked like I'd been dragging them down a gravel road by the time I was done, and I'm pretty dexterous.

Actually I did do mine without dropping the tank, I forgot -- that's why it was such a ***** with the hose clamps. At that point I had just cut the tube down to 2" so I wouldn't overfill and put it back in. It wasn't until I had to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump that I just took the whole tube out (it always overfilled anyway).

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #44
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I saw your thread yesterday and did the conversion today. Thanks, it was an easy job.

And to think I almost bought a new 20gal tank.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #45
Alacran
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_panda View Post
Did yours have a stock suspension at the time? Most of those that have posted I see have some kind of lift, which I'm sure really helps... I'm just wondering....
Mine has the stock suspension with 31" wheels. Biggest problem I had with the vent tube was trying to find it, it is a tight fit and at first I wasn't sure it was there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.