Add 5 gallons to your YJ's gas tank in less than 1/2 hour?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Add 5 gallons to your YJ's gas tank in less than 1/2 hour??

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
romanella
2008 JK Wrangler 

Add 5 gallons to your YJ's gas tank in less than 1/2 hour??

While looking online to add some mpg's to the Jeep, I found this. Just wondering what your thoughts are, if its legit, if you've done it, etc. This would be done on my DD, so I don't want to make the Jeep FUBAR. Thanks!

By John Duenes

Now that my 93 YJ is coming along since it was last seen putting on the **** Cepek 3 1/2" lift. I put some 33x12.50 15 Dunlop Mud Rovers and with the 2.5l 4cyl my gas mileage was down a bit. It was said that the YJ's all had 20-gallon tanks but they modified them to only hold 15 gallons. That was unless you paid for the 20-gallon option. After hearing the rumors and doing some investigation I decided to give this simple modification a shot. There is a plastic vent tube that runs from the fill vent hose down into the tank. All you have to do is pull out that plastic tube which is 9½" long and cut about 7" off. This procedure only took roughly 25 minutes start to finish. You don't need to drain the fuel but the less in the tank the better. Plus if you wait until it is almost empty it is a pretty cool feeling to fill up with over 19 gallons.

1. First remove the negative terminal from the battery. This may sound menial but you are working near the taillights and don't want any sparks from some lose connection.
2. Remove the gas cap to release the pressure from the fuel system. Let it set for a few minutes to let the fumes dissipate.
3. Remove the filler neck shroud that is below the gas filler housing on the underside of the body. This is held in place by 4 push clips. To remove these, pry the head away from the body then after the head pulls away remove the whole clip. If your Jeep is like mine they were brittle so just yank away then head to your favorite parts store and get new ones.
4. Using a Torx bit, remove the license plate (watch your fingers) and the filler housing.
5. Looking up from the underside you see the 2 hoses. The fill vent hose is the upper one running to the rear connection in the fuel tank. The fuel filler hose connects at the front most location.
6. Remove both hoses from the fuel filler housing and set the housing aside.
7. The only hose you have to loosen and remove from the fuel tank is the fill vent hose. The one closest to the rear of the Jeep.
8. After removing the fill vent hose use your needle-nose pliers to remove the inner piece of plastic. You may need a thin screwdriver to make room for the pliers to grab the inner hose.
9. Pull the inner plastic hose out it will be just over 9 ½" long. All it needs to be is as long as the neck the fill vent hose connects to.

romanella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Mark455SD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/fuel/15to20gal/
Mark455SD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
DownNDirty
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I did this on the weekend added 5 gallons.
Here is the link with some pics.
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/15to20gal.html
DownNDirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
romanella
2008 JK Wrangler 

You're the man! Thanks Mark!!
romanella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Very common mod

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
70sElvis
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My suggestion is for everyone to check how much they currently hold before doing this mode. I was new to the jeep community and found this mode. I tore into the mode only to find out that one of the POs had already made it. Just a suggestion.
70sElvis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
1911pistola

I did the mod love the extra 5 gallons
1911pistola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
sticksnstonesru

Yes...more miles per tank....not per gallon.

2007 Toyota Tundra Crew-max | 4x2 | 5.7L | Truxedo Tonneau | 20"'s | Leather | Fully debadged

1999 XJ | stock | 4.0
sticksnstonesru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

this makes a huge difference specially on long road trips. i used to have to stop every couple hours. easiest mod ive ever done and the best part is that its free. if you use the right tools (extensions, swivel sockets, etc) you wont even need to lower your gas tank.
Unread 02-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
NewhampshireYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

idc i get pretty good mileage.... 20$ will get me like 175miles
NewhampshireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
trickle26
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't done this mod but was looking at my 94 YJ factory build sheet and it says I have the 20 gallon tank.

NFAP - 20 gallon fuel tank

The weird thing is, I have only been able to fit roughly 14.5 gallons in my tank. Granted, I have never ran it completely empty but when my gauge gets right down to the 'red line' - 14.5 is the most I can get into the tank. It makes me think I don't actually have the 20 gallon.
Just wondering if any of you have checked your build sheets if it says 15 gallon or 20 gallon --- or if Jeep just listed 20 gallon on all build sheets because the actual tank is 20 gallons.
87' YJ Laredo
88' YJ Sahara
90' XJ Limited
trickle26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
shamrok911
1995 YJ Wrangler 

did it, love it, shoulda done it sooner.
l---L--?lllllll?-
▒)¯ ▒)--♂-▒)
shamrok911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #13
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Note this does not affect all YJs.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickle26 View Post
I haven't done this mod but was looking at my 94 YJ factory build sheet and it says I have the 20 gallon tank.

NFAP - 20 gallon fuel tank

The weird thing is, I have only been able to fit roughly 14.5 gallons in my tank. Granted, I have never ran it completely empty but when my gauge gets right down to the 'red line' - 14.5 is the most I can get into the tank. It makes me think I don't actually have the 20 gallon.
Just wondering if any of you have checked your build sheets if it says 15 gallon or 20 gallon --- or if Jeep just listed 20 gallon on all build sheets because the actual tank is 20 gallons.
I don't know about the build sheet, but YJ gas gauges are notoriously inaccurate.
Unread 02-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #15
sstaurus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Note this does not affect all YJs.
Only 91+ as far as I know, 87-90 there were actually 2 different tanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.