"accessory" key position? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "accessory" key position?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 09-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
medic-11
1990 YJ Wrangler 

"accessory" key position?

My "accessory" position on my ignition key switch does nothing, and never has as long as I've owned the Jeep. I would like it to turn on the stereo like normal cars do. I even replaced the ignition switch on top of the column, and it made no difference. Anyone else have problems with theirs? I know its a GM key/tumbler/switch, I was just wondering if its supposed to work or not.

medic-11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is your stereo hooked to factory wiring or has it been "patched" in?
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Is your stereo hooked to factory wiring or has it been "patched" in?
Most likely it is wired directly to the battery, does it turn off automatically when you turn off the Jeep? If no, then that is the problem, not the ignition.
Unread 09-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If it is hooked up to a correct power source, the ignition switch may need to be adjusted slightly.

My brake boster/master cylinder upgrade: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...grade-1287758/
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
medic-11
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yeah it turns on with the key.
medic-11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

There is a "radio" connection on the fuse panel. Your radio needs switched power to come from this connection for the ACC position to power it.

Some folks just tie into the switched ignition power instead of the ACC circuit. This gives switched power to the radio, but no ACC power to the radio.
Unread 09-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #7
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
There is a "radio" connection on the fuse panel. Your radio needs switched power to come from this connection for the ACC position to power it.

Some folks just tie into the switched ignition power instead of the ACC circuit. This gives switched power to the radio, but no ACC power to the radio.
Aaaaaand we have a winner. Old4X is dead on as usual. simple wiring fix and you should be good to go OP.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91
05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.