Acceleration Shimmy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Acceleration Shimmy

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Acceleration Shimmy

Ok, I've searched, searched again, and searched some more. But I haven't found anyone that has had this problem who has solved the issue.

I only have a vibration when accelerating from a dead stop. The harder the throttle, the more vibration. I can feel the whole jeep vibrate in the seat of my pants. When I accelerate downhill, there is no vibration. There isn't any vibration while cruising at any speed or accelerating while already traveling at a decent speed. Only first gear vibes. Also, when accelerating from a dead stop going uphill, the vibes are greater.

I started to think this was maybe a 32RH problem. But no such problem have been posted that mirrors mine. So I'm leaning towards pinion angle. I'm not sure the exact angle I need. I think the axle is shifting downwards during acceleration, but I have no proof of this happening. I am really stumped here.

The rear u-joint is solid. I have tried to wiggle that little bastard with great force but it will not budge. So any help will be greatly appreciated. If one of you can help narrow this down, I will reward you with a magical fire breathing kitten that smites all enemies. That a huge reward.

Thank you.

img_1174.jpg   img_1177.jpg  
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

looks too high so with torque froma stop it will twist even higher
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

With a slip yoke shaft your pinion angle should be level with the T-Case not pointed at it. Check these pics.
2joint_angle.gif   cv_angle.gif  

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like I need to point my diff downwards then. How would I go about doing that?
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check the motor mounts, tranny mount, and torque bushing.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Day215
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx View Post
It looks like I need to point my diff downwards then. How would I go about doing that?
Have the vibes always been there, or is this a new issue? I have the same issue, my driveshaft and pinion are 10 degrees different from each other. My issue is caused by sagging springs, the full size spare and all the body armor made them sag. You can check the angle with an angle finder, then order some all steel shins in the degree that's needed. The other method would be welding the perches on at the correct angle.
Day215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ah, thank you. The shimmy has been there since I can remember. I think the PO just threw some shims under there and called it good. Also, motor mounts, tranny mounts seem to be tip top. I'm not sure what a torque bushing is however. Thank you guys for all of your help. Hopefully I can get this resolved in the near future.
Unread 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx View Post
Ah, thank you. The shimmy has been there since I can remember. I think the PO just threw some shims under there and called it good. Also, motor mounts, tranny mounts seem to be tip top. I'm not sure what a torque bushing is however. Thank you guys for all of your help. Hopefully I can get this resolved in the near future.
Remove the shims the po put and see how it does definately looks high and the torque bushing is only if you have a manual tranny.
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you. Am I right in saying that there should be a give or take 2 Degree difference for the angle? Hopefully this will work out.
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

you don't really want a difference but you still have to take in account for axle wrap which means that when you step on the gas the spring flex and the pinion angle rises momentarily. There was a great video at youtube on axle wrap if you want to take a look. So the max would be 2 degrees.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I understand axle wrap. I've seen guys with really built rigs having to use anti-wrap bars to prevent spring inversion. Luckily, I'm not going that route. I'm just concerned about the caster on the rear axle. It seems to be pointed too high. When I get an angle finder, I'm going to fix this pig. Thank you for the help.
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx
I understand axle wrap. I've seen guys with really built rigs having to use anti-wrap bars to prevent spring inversion. Luckily, I'm not going that route. I'm just concerned about the caster on the rear axle. It seems to be pointed too high. When I get an angle finder, I'm going to fix this pig. Thank you for the help.
^ I think u mean ur pinion angle, but we get the point. It does look a tad high to me, bring it down a few degrees n u should b fine. On the axle wrap part, setting I lower to account for the pinion raising when u press the gas is more important in a spring over setup, not so much spring under. Getting ur yokes parallel should b ur goal.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.