AC Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AC Question

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

AC Question

Hey guy's,

I have a question about Air Condition's on 94 YJ's. When I purchased my Jeep the guy told me it had AC but he had removed the lines to convert it into an on-board compressor. Under the hood there is an AC Compressor with lines going in front of the radiator to what I would assume is the Evaporator. The question I have is on the dash my controls do not have anything that indicates AC. I looked it up in the Haynes manual and it showed vents on the dash which I do not have. I am just wondering if I were to buy the lines could I get the AC working or is it just something he installed.

I guess What I need to know is how to identify if my Jeep is equipped for AC and if so how many components are missing.

Any help or pics would be greatly appriciated...its hot in SC lol.

clinkous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
spaceboy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The AC on the YJs was a bolt on which goes under the dash. This bolt-on unit houses all the AC controls . I know the heater control has a blue/cold temp control, but that is not related to the AC. Unless you have the vents/Evaporator housing as shown in the photo - I don't think you have AC in the rig.

The on off and temp controls are also on the unit. There is a fan (1,2,3 speed setting) and a snowflake knob for cold/coldest.

I could be wrong, but I personally don't know of any other AC set up.

As for hoses.... jeepair.com is the only place I found new ones. I picked up a set last year and it ran me about $130. I would not buy used ones as the ones that I took off my jeep were in pretty bad shape.

http://www.jeepair.com/air-conditioning/91-95-wrangler-hose-kit-with-compressor-fittings-1866.php

As for jeep air... they just ran a 20% off July fourth sale.... if you go that route - call them and see if they can still offer you that discount.
ac.jpg  
spaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply,

That is the picture I was talking about in the Haynes manual. I don't have anything like that in my jeep. All I have is the heater package. It's just seems odd that the PO would have have installed all the componants under the hood for an AC! I am thinking maybe someone just removed the AC package from inside the jeep?

Is there anyone who can verify that this bolt on package is needed on a 94 before I go out and look for one? I'm sure it is just would like to be sure before I spend the money. Also does anyone know where I can find one if it is required?
Unread 07-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Disregard my last post....I didn't see the link. Everything I would need it right there. Thanks again for the reply and I do believe that's everything I need.

Thanks Chris
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, one last question....does anyone know if there is an aftermarket under dash unit I can buy insteed of the factory under dash AC unit?
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

As posted above, this website will have everything you need:

Jeep air conditioning components and complete A/C kits for all Jeeps

I've bought several A/C items and have had success with them.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
spaceboy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkous View Post
Okay, one last question....does anyone know if there is an aftermarket under dash unit I can buy insteed of the factory under dash AC unit?
not sure what your budget is, you may want to look for one on ebay.

the underdash unit new is about $900 - i have seen them go for $100-$150 on ebay.

Did a quick search - found this... i think the price is too high, but it all depends on how fast you need it. Looks like the full package but keep in mind the hoses are close to 20 years old.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Wrangler-YJ-CJ-dash-factory-AC-air-conditioning-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5cd17dd0QQitemZ13040 6251984QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

also check craigslist.
spaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have seen the jeepair website, and yeah its too expecsive. There are after market universal under dash units out there, I was just wondering if anyone has used them.

I agree, the one on ebay is to much, I'm just haveing a hard time finding just the under dash section and a decient price.

I looked in the Mods section, I just can't seem to find any mods replacing the under dash unit with an after market/universal one.
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Try Craigslist. You might find someone parting their old unit out.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I have been looking. I would just assume put an aftermarket one on.

Universal AC A/C Under Dash Evaporator Unit Underdash: eBay Motors (item 310155562743 end time Aug-09-10 14:05:44 PDT)

I just would like to know if anyone has done this before.
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You might have to get some custom A/C hoses to attach that evaporator to your compressor and drier.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Roger that,

If anyone know's what would be required to do this mod please let me know. Also if anyone know's of anyone who has an under dash unit for sale send them my way.

Thanks Chris
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You would need to replace your drier, get new hoses to connect to that aftermarket unit and rewire the blower motor and thermostat to accommodate the aftermarket one. Plus you will need to figure out how to mount it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.