AC info please. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AC info please.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I started refurbishing my A/C and I was almost done but I ran into some problems. First I got the wrong drier so I had to get another one sent. Next my condenser had a leak so I still need to get a new one. I got my drier from Jeepair and they were pretty good. I also started a little thread about it but stopped updating because I was mad about the condenser having a leak.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c-refurbish-1010356/

Anyway, get a kit. I'd say its your best bet if you can't find someone selling theirs plus you don't have to worry about bad hoses, worn compressors, clogged expansion valve, etc.

I fully agree. With a used AC system you may not know what you are getting and recharging a system after a repair is not cheap. Also with a used system you are going to replace a few parts right off of the bat, drier, filter, mayby hoses due to age, etc. . Again fixing a AC system is not cheap. Might as well start out fresh.

pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #17
Meatwad
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitesamson View Post
Keep your eye out, I bought mine used on craigslist for $100
Man I'm a craigslist hooka! I got my doors, wheels/tires and hardtop from there. Even my radio, which is soaked and in operable.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #18
Meatwad
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I fully agree. With a used AC system you may not know what you are getting and recharging a system after a repair is not cheap. Also with a used system you are going to replace a few parts right off of the bat, drier, filter, mayby hoses due to age, etc. . Again fixing a AC system is not cheap. Might as well start out fresh.
I honestly wish I could just pull the trigger, but I have a laundry list of crap that's gotta get fixed. Some left over problems, from the previous owner, are starting to rear there heads. AND my apartment owns meh. They got so mad when I spray painted my doors and used the curb to stand them up on....opps
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #19
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you get a later model system that uses r134 freon instead of the old freon (R12?).
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
Meatwad
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgurney View Post
Make sure you get a later model system that uses r134 freon instead of the old freon (R12?).
Oh yeah, most definitely. I know how bad a conversion can go wrong if the r12 is evacuated completely and properly. Let me ask this. Does anyone know if a 4.0 compressor will fit a 2.5?
Unread 05-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #21
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Oh yeah, most definitely. I know how bad a conversion can go wrong if the r12 is evacuated completely and properly. Let me ask this. Does anyone know if a 4.0 compressor will fit a 2.5?
The compressor I'm using now is an R12 compressor out of Cherokee. I bolts right up to the stock 4.0 mount. the compressors are the same between all the YJ's. I converted mine to R134a several yrs ago and have had no issues. I did replace the o rings on the hoses when I reinstalled it. Blows cold as heck.
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #22
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
The compressor I'm using now is an R12 compressor out of Cherokee. I bolts right up to the stock 4.0 mount. the compressors are the same between all the YJ's. I converted mine to R134a several yrs ago and have had no issues. I did replace the o rings on the hoses when I reinstalled it. Blows cold as heck.
Did you do the refrigerant conversion yourself? What did it entail? (I smell write-up!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #23
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The conversion is nothing more than a few differant O rings. A while ago my AC guy mixed R12 with 341 without changing the O rings and that car ran for a long time without any problems.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #24
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideYJeep View Post
Did you do the refrigerant conversion yourself? What did it entail? (I smell write-up!! )
To be honest I bought the kit at Walmart for around $40. It came with the R134a quick connect adapters for the 1/4" flare charge ports, an oil charge and 2 cans of refrigerant with sealer. I ran that for at least 2 yrs with no issues. When I installed the 4.0 I didn't have the proper compressor and removed the A/C. I got a suitable compressor so I reinstalled it. I bought an A/C o-ring assortment from Advance Auto for around $2, a can of oil charge,and 3 cans of R134a. I put in the new o rings on the hoses, vacuumed the system down to 400 microns, let it sit and it held @1000 microns. Added in the oil charge then 1 can of 134a. I ran the system on high and added enough 134a to get the bubbles out of the sight glass and Ice cold air out of the vents.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.