AC info please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AC info please.

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 05-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Meatwad
1999 WJ 

AC info please.

The Ms. and I have been talking about starting our family. I have a problem though. My yj is my transportation. It is, by no means, kid friendly. Mainly in part that it has no AC. If I can't get this thing in shape, I won't be able to keep it. I can't afford to just go out and buy another jeep. If I can't get this taken care of, I'll have to force myself to sell my rig for the sake of our family. So with that being said, would someone please tell me what are all of the components needed to install ac? This a standard jeep that didn't have ac installed from the factory. All I see is the bracket for the compressor. Thanks for the help. Save my jeep!

Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
1993BlackYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have an 1993 with A/C. Im not sure if it Factory or Dealer installed. There is not much to it though. Compressor, condenser that sets in front of the radiator, and the blower/vent unit that sets right under the Radio. It only has (3) vents but with the Hard top and full doors it will cool the Jeep Down. The pics aren't consentrating on the A/C but you can get a quick look. If you look through my build thread there might be a few better pic of the A/C
135_pineapple.jpg   136_pineapple.jpg  
1971 CJ5 "Dorothy" 225 Dauntless V6
1993 Black YJ 4.0L, 5 speed, Posi-Loc, 35x12.50 MTZ, 4" Skyjacker lift, Ramsey 8500 Winch, OBA, Front Aussie Locked, 8.8 ARB Rear, 4.10s

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 93 Build Thread Over 700pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-1st-jeep-build-1993yj-938195/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 71 "Dorothy" Build Thread Lots of pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1971-cj5-dorothy-1122276/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[B][SIZE="3"]My 53 CJ-3B "Ray" Build[/SIZE][/B]:[SIZE="3"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1953-cj-b3-ray-1268717/#post12217917[/url][/SIZE]]

[B][I]Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior[/I][/B]
1993BlackYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Best is to do all new. These guys sell kits>Aftermarket Air Conditioning For Jeeps. You could look for a used setup but it may be incomplete and or non working. .I have it in mine and I removed it and reinstalled it.( long story) It's not hard to install. I do residentail A/C so I have the vauum pump and gauges to vacuum out the system.
A/C in the YJ is just OK. It does take the humidity out and does cool the front pretty good but because of the duct placement under the dash it's hard to coll the whole Jeep. I use it on my commute on hot rainy days. The kit's are pricey but the componets are all new and it does work. Just not as good as a TJ or any other vehicle with higher mounted vents. Do you run a hard top or soft? It does work better with the hardtop IMO. It does OK with the soft top.
The Jeepair site isn't working but these guys sell them also>http://collinsbros.stores.yahoo.net/airconsys.html
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Meatwad
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993BlackYJ View Post
I have an 1993 with A/C. Im not sure if it Factory or Dealer installed. There is not much to it though. Compressor, condenser that sets in front of the radiator, and the blower/vent unit that sets right under the Radio. It only has (3) vents but with the Hard top and full doors it will cool the Jeep Down. The pics aren't consentrating on the A/C but you can get a quick look. If you look through my build thread there might be a few better pic of the A/C
Isn't there an evaporator can? What lines do I need. I see the vents and have found them on ebay for pretty cheap. Just the other crap I'm not sure of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
Best is to do all new. These guys sell kits>Aftermarket Air Conditioning For Jeeps. You could look for a used setup but it may be incomplete and or non working. .I have it in mine and I removed it and reinstalled it.( long story) It's not hard to install. I do residentail A/C so I have the vauum pump and gauges to vacuum out the system.
A/C in the YJ is just OK. It does take the humidity out and does cool the front pretty good but because of the duct placement under the dash it's hard to coll the whole Jeep. I use it on my commute on hot rainy days. The kit's are pricey but the componets are all new and it does work. Just not as good as a TJ or any other vehicle with higher mounted vents. Do you run a hard top or soft? It does work better with the hardtop IMO. It does OK with the soft top.
The Jeepair site isn't working but these guys sell them also>Jeep Air Conditioning Systems
I'll be running a hardtop and half steel doors with TJ upper sliders. Honestly, I cannot afford a grand for ac. If I knew what recipe sheet called for I would buy a large portion of this stuff new from a local parts store. I have a friend that owns a Jeep graveyard. So I could hunt for stuff that were more simple.
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need a compressor, condenser ( in frt of the rad), under dash evaporator (vents and fan) and the acumulator/filter ( beeer can size can that mounts to the fender on the high presure hose). If you can snag the setup off a complete Jeep you're golden. Even the system out of a CJ or any year YJ. I got the compressor off Ebay for less the $20 shipped to my door. The hoses will fit the v belt and serpentine belt compressors.
Check Ebay and seller Alljeepparts401. He sells everything Jeep for cheap.
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Meatwad
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
You need a compressor, condenser ( in frt of the rad), under dash evaporator (vents and fan) and the acumulator/filter ( beeer can size can that mounts to the fender on the high presure hose). If you can snag the setup off a complete Jeep you're golden. Even the system out of a CJ or any year YJ. I got the compressor off Ebay for less the $20 shipped to my door. The hoses will fit the v belt and serpentine belt compressors.
Check Ebay and seller Alljeepparts. He sells everything Jeep for cheap.
Lookin' threw his stuff right now. He doesn't have anything for sale currently.
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check for my PM..
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes he does..Jeep AC Compressor Wrangler/Cherokee 94-96: eBay Motors (item 330435424400 end time May-26-10 18:26:02 PDT)
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
Meatwad
1999 WJ 

I searched his name and it came up 0 members by this name. Screw. Thanks Burnerman.
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Your YJ never had factory air. For all YJs AC was a dealer add on. I bought mine from this company three yearsw ago. Air Conditioner Kit, Complete jeep wrangler, jeep wrangler a/c kit Air Conditioner Kit, Complete jeep wrangler, jeep wrangler a/c kit I have dogs and live in lower Florida in the sub tropics and my AC cools me and the back of my YJ where the dogs are just fine.

I read the instructions and installed it myself. I had a AC company crimp a few lines and charge my AC. Your YJ comes from the factory prewired for AC. So all you have to do is connect the AC to you existing wiring. The compressor mount is also factory installed so just bolt the AC compressor on. They even give you a new fan belt with the new AC system.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I gotta quit looking at his listings. I just bid on 3 more parts! LOL... I get in trouble everytime I go to his store.. Watch the A/C compressors. Some start high and some at a penny. I got 2 for less then a buck. Also if it's a buy it now snag it. He ships Fed Ex and most parts show up real quick.
Oh and if he doesn't have it listed email him with what you need. He's away till the 27th though.
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
Meatwad
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Your YJ never had factory air. For all YJs AC was a dealer add on. I bought mine from this company three yearsw ago. Air Conditioner Kit, Complete jeep wrangler, jeep wrangler a/c kit Air Conditioner Kit, Complete jeep wrangler, jeep wrangler a/c kit I have dogs and live in lower Florida in the sub tropics and my AC cools me and the back of my YJ where the dogs are just fine.

I read the instructions and installed it myself. I had a AC company crimp a few lines and charge my AC. Your YJ comes from the factory prewired for AC. So all you have to do is connect the AC to you existing wiring. The compressor mount is also factory installed so just bolt the AC compressor on. They even give you a new fan belt with the new AC system.
Looks like a pretty cut and dry system. I wish I could buy it piece by piece. That's not a bad price, but still close to the 1 grand I was trying to keep from hitting.
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #13
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I started refurbishing my A/C and I was almost done but I ran into some problems. First I got the wrong drier so I had to get another one sent. Next my condenser had a leak so I still need to get a new one. I got my drier from Jeepair and they were pretty good. I also started a little thread about it but stopped updating because I was mad about the condenser having a leak.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c-refurbish-1010356/

Anyway, get a kit. I'd say its your best bet if you can't find someone selling theirs plus you don't have to worry about bad hoses, worn compressors, clogged expansion valve, etc.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
Meatwad
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I started refurbishing my A/C and I was almost done but I ran into some problems. First I got the wrong drier so I had to get another one sent. Next my condenser had a leak so I still need to get a new one. I got my drier from Jeepair and they were pretty good. I also started a little thread about it but stopped updating because I was mad about the condenser having a leak.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c-refurbish-1010356/

Anyway, get a kit. I'd say its your best bet if you can't find someone selling theirs plus you don't have to worry about bad hoses, worn compressors, clogged expansion valve, etc.
I wish I had the swag to buy a complete kit. I've got a lot on my plate and being a newb to the jeep world, but not to cars, I feel I'm having to learn new crap all over again. When I read that Jeep stood for, "Just Empty Every Pocket" they weren't kidding.
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Isn't there an evaporator can? What lines do I need. I see the vents and have found them on ebay for pretty cheap. Just the other crap I'm not sure of.

I'll be running a hardtop and half steel doors with TJ upper sliders. Honestly, I cannot afford a grand for ac. If I knew what recipe sheet called for I would buy a large portion of this stuff new from a local parts store. I have a friend that owns a Jeep graveyard. So I could hunt for stuff that were more simple.
Keep your eye out, I bought mine used on craigslist for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.