Ac compresser conversion to an air compressor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ac compresser conversion to an air compressor

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 10-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
qualls06
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ac compresser conversion to an air compressor

Y buddy was telling me that you can comber your ac compressor to be an onboard air compressor. If that is possible how can it be done

qualls06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Google is a good place to start but

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...ite-up-742180/

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
goodwrenchdave
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be real interested in knowing how long these setups last. Sure some fabricate to add oil injection but doesn't seem to be much follow up as to their longevity success. AC compressors require constant and specific lubrication let alone the gas compressibility is different. Depending on OEM application, oil can be mineral, polyoester or pag - which doesn't come cheap if to be injected and lost. and oil stinks IMO. Consider that a sudden rupture/discharge in a modern AC system can easily evacuate 2+ oz of oil (~7oz in system)... one can easily see how much oil is in suspension within the refrigerant.

IMO: given the work to install this setup and the chances (almost guaranteed) of failure.....and since it always happens at the worst time....I would do it right and get a unit that has been specifically made for such an application (sealed lubrication unit). They are based and may look like AC compressors but are completely different in seals and lubrication. And are priced new around 400-500$. The rest of expense for brackets, tubing and reservoir would be same with either setup.
Why not do it right?
I just spotted a dinosaur ....Fast forward to 2013
The other argument is weather it is really worth it.... as opposed to electric compressor. Air technology is on it's way out
I would not want to work on drivetrain (or limited suspension). with motor running as it is potential for accident....with electric your only limited to lower CFM air supply (long term).....
I'll just bring battery powered impact, 2 batteries (small built in inverter) and a basic set of proper chosen Hand tools. A small electric
air compressor and could pretty much rebuild a jeep on the trails if need be.
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

@qualls06: I have done this myself about a year or so ago and yes you can take a AC Compressor and run the right fittings and sort and get your self a very nice handy air compressor on the go to fire up your tires and tools if you please.
I have taken pictures of the steps and the products i bought. Just been lazy and busy i haven't gotten time to do a write up. But i will soon.

@goodwrenchdave: I have been running my compressor setup for about a year now still going strong. I have an In-Line Oiler setup and it oils the compressor. It takes oil in as the engine revs.
Front D30 (4.88 w/ Powertrax No-Slip) -- Rear 8.8 (4.88 w/ ARB) -- Front Custom Bumper -- Custom Side Rock Guards -- Dual Snorkel (Coming Soon)
djfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
debord97
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't done the mod yet but am wanting to. I don't think anyone does this conversion and plan on rebuilding their jeep with it. I see it as saving space in a very small carrying capacity vehicle.
debord97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #6
1320yj

Most of the conversion I have seen were the old York compressors. They are the only ones that have their own oil sump (crankcase). The compressors that typically come on our vehicles have no sump and rely on the freon to circulate the oil for lubrication. If used as compressors they will burn up rather quickly.
1320yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've been running a Sanden with an in line oiler in my YJ for 6 years now.
It's seen heavy use and has performed flawlessly.

Here is a diagram I found when I did mine...
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #8
djwrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrenchdave View Post
I'd be real interested in knowing how long these setups last. Sure some fabricate to add oil injection but doesn't seem to be much follow up as to their longevity success. AC compressors require constant and specific lubrication let alone the gas compressibility is different. Depending on OEM application, oil can be mineral, polyoester or pag - which doesn't come cheap if to be injected and lost. and oil stinks IMO. Consider that a sudden rupture/discharge in a modern AC system can easily evacuate 2+ oz of oil (~7oz in system)... one can easily see how much oil is in suspension within the refrigerant.

IMO: given the work to install this setup and the chances (almost guaranteed) of failure.....and since it always happens at the worst time....I would do it right and get a unit that has been specifically made for such an application (sealed lubrication unit). They are based and may look like AC compressors but are completely different in seals and lubrication. And are priced new around 400-500$. The rest of expense for brackets, tubing and reservoir would be same with either setup.
Why not do it right?
I just spotted a dinosaur ....Fast forward to 2013
The other argument is weather it is really worth it.... as opposed to electric compressor. Air technology is on it's way out
I would not want to work on drivetrain (or limited suspension). with motor running as it is potential for accident....with electric your only limited to lower CFM air supply (long term).....
I'll just bring battery powered impact, 2 batteries (small built in inverter) and a basic set of proper chosen Hand tools. A small electric
air compressor and could pretty much rebuild a jeep on the trails if need be.
Most do the Sanden or York OBA for filling up tires after a trail ride. A small electric compressor is gonna take a lot longer to do that than an engine driven compressor. They just have the added benefit of running high enough cfms to keep up with air tools.

Most engine driven OBA setups I've seen have been working for years just fine. The failures are usually from installation or maintenance issues. A well engineered and installed setup has been proven time and time again.

They make kits designed specifically for engine driven OBA if you feel like dropping serious coin ($1000+) for one.
djwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
92yjguy1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Find a expedition they have air compressors for the suspension they are compact and run off your battery
92yjguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A belt driven OBA will out perform a electric one any day of the week.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

TSEJEEPERS is correct.
I had a 12Volt Battery direct compressor before each tire from 10PSI to 30PSI took close to 15 minutes each wheel at times.

With the on board into a 2.5Gal Tank i pump the tires from 10 to 30PSI in less than a minute.

OBA FTW
Front D30 (4.88 w/ Powertrax No-Slip) -- Rear 8.8 (4.88 w/ ARB) -- Front Custom Bumper -- Custom Side Rock Guards -- Dual Snorkel (Coming Soon)
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In addition to all of the Jeeps out there running this setup, this is also a very popular way to operate bagged Kustoms and Low Riders. There are a number of sites that go into modifications that holds grease in the compressor and will prevent the majority from getting into the air supply.

Keep in mind most of the low riders and sleds drop the air out of the system every time they park. These things are running a lot to maintain ride height. If they're getting even halfway decent longevity in those conditions, I'm not too concerned about using it for airing up and occasionally powering tools.

I've got an oiler for mine; however, I'll probably pick up a spare to modify as described above and set on a shelf to be installed if mine fails in the future.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I went to grease this time. I have been through two compressors with my OBA. They both lasted around 3 years. I think it was a oiling problem in both compressors. The oil was not getting behind the pistons so it was just blowing back out.

I used this writeup to convert the compressor.

http://www.grungle.com/endlessair.html

This is another one that is much more detailed.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...rd-air-system/

Another important note is to run the air out of the compressor through your check valve and then to your tank. After the tank run your filter and pressure switch ect . These compressors can blow really hot air, by running it to the tank first it does two things. First it cools the air down and second it will take out some of the oil or grease.
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I use a converted Sandeen compressor. Grease is the lubricant.
It is used for all air needs, filling tires, dual lockers, etc. It will produce a lot of air.
The storage tank, small- about 1 1/2 gallons, is under the batteries.
I would guess...all inclusive, I have about $525 in it. Including the NEW already converted compressor, and the compressor mount, tank, and new longer fan belt and I added another idler pulley to it. There is also a blow off and one way valve on it. Set for lockers at 90psi on and 105 off.
jeepster93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a link to my tutorial
for this same setup

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...stall-1759305/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.