AC Blower upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AC Blower upgrade?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 09-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

AC Blower upgrade?

I think my blower motor might be going out. It's not blowing as hard and is surging a little. Are all the replacement motors the same as far as power goes or is it possible to get a motor that has a higher output than the original stock motor?

ptwhaler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You will want to do the upgrade to a blazer blower motor. There are write ups on it if you search for them. I did it to mine and it makes a big difference. Kind of a pain to do though because you have to pull out the dash and cut a bigger hole in the firewall for the motor to fit
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OP, I'm not aware of any upgrade for the A/C blower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50 View Post
You will want to do the upgrade to a blazer blower motor. There are write ups on it if you search for them. I did it to mine and it makes a big difference. Kind of a pain to do though because you have to pull out the dash and cut a bigger hole in the firewall for the motor to fit
The A/C and heater do not share a blower motor. The Blazer motor and the stock replacement YJ motor are now the same motor btw, Siemens PM102.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50 View Post
I think you have the A/C confused with the heater.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A/C????
What is this A/C you speak of?
When I need more cool air blowing I step hard on the skinny pedal, The only way to upgrade is os maybe bore and stroke the engine
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
A/C????
When I need more cool air blowing I step hard on the skinny pedal, The only way to upgrade is os maybe bore and stroke the engine
AC is kind of a required item when you live in the Middle East and it is 120 outside during the day
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
A/C????
Pretty funny, if I lived where you do I probably would not invest in AC either.

Since I live in the Sub Tropics with 80 to 90 percent humidity and 95 temps. AC is a must, my dogs like it too. With AC they get to go with me more often.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Pretty funny, if I lived where you do I probably would not invest in AC either.

Since I live in the Sub Tropics with 80 to 90 percent humidity and 95 temps. AC is a must, my dogs like it too. With AC they get to go with me more often.
This, good ol' florida, and what is this 80 - 90% humidy your talking about lol? During the middle 2 months of summer we run at 100% humidity every day. This adds 8-12 degrees to the heat index which leaves a 97 degree day actually feeling like 106+ lol.

Anyway, I havn't heard of any reasonable upgrades for the YJ ac blower... I hunted around for options online quite a bit too. You can buy custom ac setups from Jeggs and Summit I believe, they are generic under-dash units just like the one we have but maybe they are better?

Just make sure your current system isn't leaking and that you have plenty of "ac fluid" in there lol.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

FL aint so bad, when I lived in St Augustine I drove a 1969 MG Midget. It had basically anti A/C. If you leaned you leg against the tranny tunnel it sizzled like bacon.
But I was young and stupid then..I'm not young any more.
Since you're in the sandbox though I guess a little freon modification is in order.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would like to upgrade my fan as well.
It doesn't seem to blow as hard as it should.
I wonder if an electrical rebuild shop could modify it?
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's not the motor that needs upgrading it would be the whole unit would need to be replaced. A yj A/C is just enough to cool in the 100* or less that is to make bearable to drive. Now here is something you might want to do is pull the A/C blower out and give it a good cleaning and blow out the condenser or in another word a good maintenance cleanup of the whole system. Dry dusty air and moisture on the coils and blow squirrel cage. Gan make a good working system seem like crap when all clogged up.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
GromMudder757
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have 255 A/C! (2 doors off going down the road at 55)

Zak
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I guess if the fan keeps working a couple more months until it cools down I will just let it wait until after the first of the year. It's too hot, and humid, right now to work on it so I'll let it ride. Summers here are blistering hot but the winter is nice. 75 to 80 during the day and down to about 60 or so at night so I will be using the 255 A/C then . Really wanted to get a soft top on it this winter but just don't have the fundage for that right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.