ABS in a yj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ABS in a yj?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-19-2001, 08:36 PM   #1
jerrys yj

ABS in a yj?

okay i was driving in michigans great weather today (cold rain). i was driving and had to stop fast, i didnt even think about pumping the brakes and i skidded about 10 ft and landed about half a foot from my friends car infront of me. i was just wondering if they ever put ABS in the yj or did they change that when the went to the new wrangler bodystyle? also is there any kits out ther for ABS on a 91' yj? its a daily driver and i plan on keeping it and not cracking it up.

-KC's on the windshild
personal quote:"it didnt look that deep dad, i swear!"(first time stuck in mud)
jerrys yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2001, 08:56 AM   #2
rayray

ABS is a tool to take the control of a vehicle out of the drivers hands. If you rely on it, it will hamper your driving skills. Drive slower in wet conditions and pump the brakes if needed!

With that said, yes, they did make late model YJ's with ABS. You would need to change the carrier, axle shafts, callibers, and install the pump and computer. I'm sure there is more, but that's the gist of it.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2001, 09:07 AM   #3
glm 87 wrangler

Yes it can be done but when you have finished
you could have probably bought the jeep you are speaking of.Not sure of the year model.But a used one of course.Most ABS after market systems cover the rear wheels only but four wheel ABS systems are out there but like i said major bucks.Sorry!
Unread 12-20-2001, 09:14 AM   #4
glm 87 wrangler

Oh forgot, if you want one though go to a junk yard and try to locate one, you will basicly need the AXLEs Front and rear All the lines and master cylinder that is on it you will have to locate the wire harness for it and also the CPU and the harness for it.If you can find a whole salvage jeep with ABS and strike up a good deal then you maybe the luckest guy around.It will make your JEEP swap to ABS all the better.Happy Hunting.But yes any thing can be done. ALMOST.Skill and time being the factors.
Unread 12-21-2001, 04:49 PM   #5
jerrys yj

what years came with the abs?
-KC's on the windshild
personal quote:"it didnt look that deep dad, i swear!"(first time stuck in mud)
jerrys yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.