? about XY and YJ compatibility - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ? about XY and YJ compatibility

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-07-2001, 02:09 PM   #1
zuck2001

? about XY and YJ compatibility

I'm wondering if i can bolt a D35C under my YJ from an XJ in the rear. What kind of modifications would need to be made if it can work?

'89 YJ w/ 4.2L I-6, 2.5" Rancho SL, 2" BL, 1.25" SHKLL, Uniden CB, 2 JL Audio Subs and Banpass box with a 300/1 2 channel Earthquake Amp, 33X12.5 Cooper S/T, no sway or trac bars, no bump stops, 2 titanium KC's.
zuck2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2001, 07:08 PM   #2
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Perches, shock mounts and possably the hardline.

XJ's are SOA in the rear meaning your YJ perches are on the wrong side. I think they're spaced out differently too. XJ's shock mounts are studs. One facing forward and one facing back while the YJ uses standard brackets both facing the same direction. I'm not sure if it will still work. The YJ uses a hollow bolt to hold the T-fitting for the brakeline to the axle. The hollow bolt is to vent any gases in the housing. The XJ uses a seperate vent to do this. This means the brakeline and vent lines are about 6-8" apart. It might or might not be a problem.

In any case these are only small hurttles. Perches are $15 and so are new shock mounts. In any case it should stop you from swapping the axles. I went the other way around and installed a XJ axle into my YJ. Only difference is that my XJ axle is a Dana 44 not 35.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.