JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   About to put a lift in, anything else I should do? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/about-put-lift-anything-else-i-should-do-1503782/)

fsacb3 04-03-2013 09:11 PM

About to put a lift in, anything else I should do?

I'm about to install a 4" suspension lift kit on my '91 YJ. It's got close to 200k miles and is mostly stock. While I'm "down there" with a wrench in my hand, what other parts should I examine and possibly replace? What are some steering or suspension components that while maybe not broken, could do for an upgrade? I'm more familiar with engines than I am with the undercarraige, so I'm just looking for ideas. And they don't necessarily have to be upgrades related to the lift. Just stuff that is probably worn down at this point. Before I put my order in, is there anything else I might want to consider buying?

Also, I might be without a car when I put the lift in. What should I make sure I don't forget to have around? Any bolts I should stock up on in case something breaks or I have to grind the head off?

Thanks

jokerchief462 04-03-2013 09:30 PM

Once lifted you will change the steering geometry as in you will need to do an alignment. Great place to start checking for wheel play and wobble or loose tie rod ends. Did you get a drop pitman arm with your lift? Something to consider. There is a TJ article on alignment that is real good and the setting on the YJ is 0 + or _ 1/16" front to rear of the tire. Get someone to help you with the tape measure it only takes less than 30 minutes.

While you are at the rear take a close look at your upper and lower shock mounts for cracks at the bolt holes or the welds to the frame and axle.

Other than that generally get acquainted with the undercarriage I am sure you will find some more projects.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...gnment-994928/

4x4JB 04-03-2013 09:39 PM

I'd say tierods. What kit did you get? If it doesn't come with shocks I'd suggest shocks for sure. New u bolts if it doesn't come with them. Hell if you haven't changed the fuel filter might as well do it also since you'll be right there. Cheap and easy. Might lube the underside components also.

UZI4U 04-04-2013 06:20 AM

Get plenty of cut off disks for your angle grinder and four spring eye bolts with hardware for where the leafs tie to the frame. Shackle bolts too if your kit doesn't have them. Get a steering stabilizer if you haven't already. If you plan on retaining the sway bar, some new bushings for it would be a good idea. If you're doing the TC drop, have a good 1/2-13 tap to chase the threads in the frame.

If you have the drop pitman you will be fine. I did a BDS 3.5 inch to replace some 1.25" shackles and stock spring the PO put on. The wheel was always crooked when going down the road. Now it's straight and handles better without the stupid lift shackles...and I'm not running the track or sway bars.

Make sure you have a way to get to work for a few days longer than you are anticipating...just in case.

Sparrows 04-04-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UZI4U (Post 15244607)
Get plenty of cut off disks for your angle grinder and four spring eye bolts with hardware for where the leafs tie to the frame. Shackle bolts too if your kit doesn't have them. Get a steering stabilizer if you haven't already. If you plan on retaining the sway bar, some new bushings for it would be a good idea. If you're doing the TC drop, have a good 1/2-13 tap to chase the threads in the frame.

If you have the drop pitman you will be fine. I did a BDS 3.5 inch to replace some 1.25" shackles and stock spring the PO put on. The wheel was always crooked when going down the road. Now it's straight and handles better without the stupid lift shackles...and I'm not running the track or sway bars.

Make sure you have a way to get to work for a few days longer than you are anticipating...just in case.

QFT.

All the above. I'm in the middle of my lift instal and so far it's taken much, much longer than I anticipated.

A grinder is a must on hand, with at least a 4 1/2" disc. The main spring bolts (frame side) are Grade 8, 9/16", 5" long, fine thread. Pick up four of them before you start. If you don't have to cut those bolts, great, you have new ones to put in anyways, if you do have to cut them out (like me) then you have them there already too....

Cheers

fsacb3 04-04-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparrows (Post 15245884)
QFT.

All the above. I'm in the middle of my lift instal and so far it's taken much, much longer than I anticipated.

A grinder is a must on hand, with at least a 4 1/2" disc. The main spring bolts (frame side) are Grade 8, 9/16", 5" long, fine thread. Pick up four of them before you start. If you don't have to cut those bolts, great, you have new ones to put in anyways, if you do have to cut them out (like me) then you have them there already too....

Cheers

Thanks for the advice. I looked at your build thread. Looks like seized bolts are the big problem? Where did the Jeep live? An area with rust?

fsacb3 04-04-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4JB (Post 15243722)
I'd say tierods. What kit did you get? If it doesn't come with shocks I'd suggest shocks for sure. New u bolts if it doesn't come with them. Hell if you haven't changed the fuel filter might as well do it also since you'll be right there. Cheap and easy. Might lube the underside components also.

Actually haven't bought a kit yet. Still comparing, trying to find the right one.

rinking 04-04-2013 11:50 AM

I would recommend You don't put the trac bars back on.

fsacb3 04-04-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinking (Post 15246197)
I would recommend You don't put the trac bars back on.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to say they're not needed.

fsacb3 04-04-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UZI4U (Post 15244607)

Seems like the BDS lift comes with most of the stuff you need. I plan on getting new shackles and a steering stabilizer. Do you live in a rusty area? Were the bolts stuck?

Sparrows 04-04-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsacb3 (Post 15245980)
Thanks for the advice. I looked at your build thread. Looks like seized bolts are the big problem? Where did the Jeep live? An area with rust?

My Jeep is from Boise. We're not really in the rust belt and most vehicles only see maybe a month of crummy salted roads a year, if that.

Just got to remember that most YJs are 20+/- years old. In that amount of time, even a desert/Cali car can start to rust a bit.

Trying to get you prepared :thumbsup:
Hopefully your install goes smoother than mine has been :D

Good luck
Cheers

UZI4U 04-05-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsacb3 (Post 15246260)
Seems like the BDS lift comes with most of the stuff you need. I plan on getting new shackles and a steering stabilizer. Do you live in a rusty area? Were the bolts stuck?

I ordered mine with everything, including the shocks and stabilizer, and got aftermarket shackles to replace the lift shackles I had. I'm not in an area where they salt and there isn't any rust on mine. 20 years of being exposed to the elements does freeze things up though. I Kroiled the crap out of everything daily two weeks prior to the lift. All of the nuts came off, but most of the bolts were frozen to the sleeves inside of the bushings.

kahanabob 04-05-2013 12:08 PM

familiarize yourself on the drive line angles with any luck you will get it right the first time. you my find you will need a TC drop kit.
when i did my 92 took it apart 3 times before i got it correct.

youngjeeper11 04-05-2013 01:33 PM

spray all of the bolts you need to get out with PB Blaster 3-4 times a day for a week before you attempt the install! Lots and lots of PB Blaster.:highfive:

A torch helps with seized bolts as well

Ken3783 04-05-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsacb3 (Post 15246260)

The BDS kit did come with absolutely everything I needed for the lift minus the SYE kit obviously. When I customized the kit it came with the boomerang shackles and steering stabilizer options as well. New kit went in extremely easy. Even came with steel braided brake lines. Old kit was a pain though, especially getting the old bolts out of the top of the rear shackles. They were really seized in there, so much so that we had to engineer a series of wedges and make a pickle fork or sorts to pull them out. If its an option for you, I would personally recommend greaseable bolts for the shackles.

The time now is 08:29 PM.