96 limited slip 98 open?????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 96 limited slip 98 open??????

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
dallass
1992 YJ Wrangler 

96 limited slip 98 open??????

So i can get a 96 limited slip without calipers and a 98 open with calipers but look like the need to be replaced or rebuilt? What is my best option both same price.

dallass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallass View Post
So i can get a 96 limited slip without calipers and a 98 open with calipers but look like the need to be replaced or rebuilt? What is my best option both same price.
Wrong forum possibly?

If so, let me know where I can move your thread.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
dallass
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i am swaping in an 8.8 explorer axle and have access to the above axles just wondering what a better option is?
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Get the open one, IMO.

The Ford LSD is no advantage & makes adding an auto locker later on a pricey affair with no options.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
dallass
1992 YJ Wrangler 

SO the limited slip is not worth the extra work? and i have read about the auto lockers but not sure that is what i want in the rear end as i drive the street alot. so would the limited slip suffice until i swapped it out for a full locker?
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I see, that makes much better sense. I agree with Max that adding a lunchbox locker inside an open differential carrier could be a nice thing if that's in your overall game plan.

Last edited by Joe Dillard; 01-21-2010 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: Removed incorrect info
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallass View Post
SO the limited slip is not worth the extra work? and i have read about the auto lockers but not sure that is what i want in the rear end as i drive the street alot. so would the limited slip suffice until i swapped it out for a full locker?
I'm sure it would be fine, but most folks report that offroad they can't tell any difference between a LSD 8.8 & an open diff.

They don't have, or cause problems, they just seems to be of no advantage.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
dallass
1992 YJ Wrangler 

any take on a good street lunch box locker?
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Aussie Lockers have a reputation for "quieter" operation & a cheaper price, without sacrificing quality.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I see, that makes much better sense. I agree with Max that adding a lunchbox locker inside an open differential carrier could be a nice thing if that's in your overall game plan. LSD + lunchbox locker = not an option at this time since nobody makes 'em.
Joe, Powertrax makes one, but its $500.

Just like the OP, I was unaware about LS carriers. I found an axle in great shape with 4.10's and jumped at the chance to get it, not knowing it limited (no pun intended) my options for lockers..... which is why I'm putting an Aussie up front and will probably never lock the rear unless I learn to set up a R&P myself.

I need to find the article... I remember somebody saying to put in new or add clutch discs (and the Ford friction modifier to the diff fluid) for a little better LS action.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #11
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Dana 35 with limited slip. It does help some when in mud or loose rock. I have been told that both wheels were digging in. Once a wheel is off the ground, you will have to apply the parking break a little to fool the wheel that off the ground.

I bought a 8.8 with a open carrier and a LS carrier that I will replace the open with.

I rebuilt the LS carrier so it will have a lower slip rate. Ford has a thickness dimension on the clutch packs of .640 to .645. You can add clutches to make the LS a lot tighter so it won't slip as easy. I have added some extra clutches to bring it up to the max.

YouTube - Ford 8.8" rear end Traction-Lok clutch setups

I would prefer a locker but don't like the street habits that it gives you. I have had rear lockers to do funny things on the highway. One time, running 65, the rear locker just slipped or something and it shot the jeep to the right real fast than another bang and it was straight again. Very exciting experience.

Since my rig is a part time offroad rig and never do level 5 trails, I will stick with the LS. Plus if my wife drives it and the noise and actions of a rear locker might scare her. I do run a locker in the front with the axle disconnect.

Rock climbing, full time offroad, I would use a locker. If it's a DD and weekend offroad, I would go with the LS.
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #12
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
Joe, Powertrax makes one, but its $500.
That's good to know. I stand corrected.

Here's the data sheet & here's the PN's from Richmond Gear:

Open = 92-0688-3108
LSD= 92-0688-3128

http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/fordtruckns.pdf
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^ Yeah.... but at that approx. $500 price tag, you're sort of on the fence.

Aussie is $250 w/ free shipping from Northridge 4x4 if you had an open carrier. $500 is a lot for a lunchbox locker, and at that price a person might want to consider saving up for a pro install of a selectable.

But from the few write-ups I've read, people with LS carriers seem to like the Powertrax for their 8.8. But I've only seen a few articles so time will tell.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #14
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If he talking about the whole axle assembly and gets the 98, he will have to do a lot of modifications for a leaf spring set up. 96 should be a direct bolt in, unless a 96 is a TJ?
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #15
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Neither one will be a direct bolt in. He will have to cut the brackets off and weld them on where they need to go. I have the LS in mine and can't tell much of a difference between it and an open carrier. On snow covered roads it is easier to do donuts with the LSD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.