95yj brake leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95yj brake leak

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
jeepstillhaslif
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95yj brake leak

image-759618341.jpg
Little by little it drains and becomes empty. My brake light is also on inside my dash. Could this be the reason y. Where do I start trying to fix this problem

jeepstillhaslif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

First thing I would do is clean out the crud in the master and re-fill it. Then I would put the Jeep up on jack stands and pull each wheel and start looking for obvious signs of a leak or leaks, brake lines, front calipers, rear wheel cylinders and lines and go from there.

Something else to look for, is there brake fluid on the inside of the cab where the plunger go into the master? Then look at all of your hard brake lines.

Let us know what you find.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
jeepstillhaslif
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc
First thing I would do is clean out the crud in the master and re-fill it. Then I would put the Jeep up on jack stands and pull each wheel and start looking for obvious signs of a leak or leaks, brake lines, front calipers, rear wheel cylinders and lines and go from there.

Something else to look for, is there brake fluid on the inside of the cab where the plunger go into the master? Then look at all of your hard brake lines.

Let us know what you find.
Sounds good looks Lk ill have another weekend project with the jeep. Seems Lk once you fix one problem another pops ups.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That resevor is for the rear brakes.
I would start out with the rear wheel cylinders.
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
jeepstillhaslif
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS
That resevor is for the rear brakes.
I would start out with the rear wheel cylinders.
Finally able to work on jeep tomorrow been working all week and school. So besides tires coming do I need take part drums or should I be able to tell from just looking
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have someone pump the brakes while you look for leaks.
If you do not see any pull the drums off and see if there is fluid around the wheel cylinders.
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepstillhaslif View Post
Finally able to work on jeep tomorrow been working all week and school. So besides tires coming do I need take part drums or should I be able to tell from just looking

Yes. You will, pull the rear wheels. Pull the drums.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
jeepstillhaslif
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy

Yes. You will, pull the rear wheels. Pull the drums.
So I pulled th rear wheels off yesterday and the drums did not want to come off. Will a couple of hits from a rubber hammer solve this. Or what's ur option on this. Don't even no when the last they came off I'm assuming over 4 yrs ago
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, smack them a few times and they will come off.
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

depends on when the last time they were done... could be (hopefully) just a ring of rust around the edge of the drum not allowing it to slide past the shoes... remove the rubber plug from the back and with an adjuster tool (or flat blade screwdriver) turn the star adjuster to move the shoes inward - then a couple whacks with a mallet should free it.

hopefully it won't be the situation I found myself in a couple years ago when I did my brakes... it wasn't the rim of rust that was keeping it on, but the drum had sort of "rust welded" (term my brother gave it) itself to the axle flange... I ended up going through 3 sawzall blades and 4 cutoff discs to cut enough of the drum away that I could get a pry bar between it and the flange to pry it off.

as far as leaks, I'll agree that you should start at the wheel cylinders and work your way forward while someone is pumping the brake pedal... but I respectfully disagree at the need to remove the drum just to check for a leak.... any leak in the wheel cylinder (the only hydraulic part inside the drum) will make itself visible on the backing plate, shoes or if it's enough, actually dripping from the drum.

my vote would be somewhere around the junction of the hard line and hose - up at the frame mount above the rear axle

Good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean the area the axle and drum come together with a wire brush. PB blaster and then if all else fails heat.

But like said above you need to back the adjusters off so the brake shoes relax the drum will get a wear lip on the braking surface and you won't get it off

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

DO NOT pump the brakes with the rear drums removed. You will blow out the pistons and cover everything in brake fluid.

If you are losing that much fluid it should be pretty obvious where it's coming out
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
jeepstillhaslif
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty
DO NOT pump the brakes with the rear drums removed. You will blow out the pistons and cover everything in brake fluid.

If you are losing that much fluid it should be pretty obvious where it's coming out
Well this is good to no. It's not a big leak its slow. Takes about 1-2 before its completely out of break fluid again. Picture shown above. And my brake light is on and need it to shut off so I can pass inspection and there's all this build up of grease so its hard to tell if its leaking brake fluid at that spot. My jeep doesn't roll or anything when I have the e brake on. How does the computer no to turn my light on
Unread 07-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

your e-brake is activated by cable, not hydraulic pressure

your brake warning light is activated by a pressure sensor... if you follow the hard lines from the master cylinder, you'll see they go down to a brass distribution block... in that block is a sensor with 2 wires (black & white IIRC) coming off of it. this senses inadequate hydraulic pressure and turns on your warning light.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
jeepstillhaslif
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ
your e-brake is activated by cable, not hydraulic pressure

your brake warning light is activated by a pressure sensor... if you follow the hard lines from the master cylinder, you'll see they go down to a brass distribution block... in that block is a sensor with 2 wires (black & white IIRC) coming off of it. this senses inadequate hydraulic pressure and turns on your warning light.
If its the one where it looks lk 3 or 4 brake lines are coming out of it I no which part ur talking about. So if its sensing in not getting full pressure to the rear the light will come on. By any chance can it be that brass block that's the problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.