95 YJ won't turn over please help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ won't turn over please help

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

And it's fixed. I ended up taking the PDC apart so I could look at the bottom of it and followed the wire back to the Ignition Switch. Turns out the "new" engine wiring harness I put in was missing part of the wire going from the the connection at the firewall to the PDC. So I broke out my old wiring harness, clipped off the old wire and spliced it in, blam the jeep now turns over.

New problem. It turns over but doesn't fire. So I checked the spark in the plugs and they are firing. So that means I have a gas problem. I'm not sure what the best way is spray some ignition helper in there to see if I can at least get it to fire?

scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Starting fluid is hard on motors. Especially new ones. I say before you go spraying stuff all over the place you should look into it some. Disconnect your fuel line where it goes into the carb or fuel rail. Get the fuel pump going and see if you have fuel there. If you do the problem is after that. If you don't have fuel its before that.

That will narrow it down. It should be mostly common sense after that.

This is all good training for when it dies on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Starting fluid is hard on motors. Especially new ones. I say before you go spraying stuff all over the place you should look into it some. Disconnect your fuel line where it goes into the carb or fuel rail. Get the fuel pump going and see if you have fuel there. If you do the problem is after that. If you don't have fuel its before that.

That will narrow it down. It should be mostly common sense after that.

This is all good training for when it dies on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.
Disconnected the fuel line from the rail and no fuel at all. I've already replaced the fuel filter so my guess is either the fuel [pump itself or the power going to the pump. Any other thoughts?
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #19
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?

Congrats on figuring out the pdc wiring!
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsipe007 View Post
Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?

Congrats on figuring out the pdc wiring!
I'm not sure, when I get home I'm going to check the fuses for the pump and pull the power connecter off the pump to see if it is getting 12v with the ignition in. Should there only be 12v there when I'm cranking the engine or is it there with just the key in the power position?
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #21
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pump should have 12v when the key is in the "on" position as well as in the "start" position.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I ended up having to drop the tank. Thinking it was just a bad pump this is what I found.

I can't believe how bad it is, but I guess that's what happens when it sits for several years. Pulling the tank ended up being harder than it should have since 3 of the bolts where in such bad shape that I had to cut them off, which was a bit nerve racking being right next to the gas. I also had to cut 5 of the 8 bolts off that held the sending unit on. Now to buy the sending unit and put everything back together.
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #23
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Glad to hear you have everything figured out so far. Im with ya, I hate letting vehicles sit but i would never have guessed your fuel pump would be that bad!
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #24
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thought I would update this thread.

I ended ebaying the sending unit with a pump for $119. Thought that was good. While I waited on that to arrive I sanded down the skid plate and repainted it. It really needed it and all I'm really doing with that is buying time, as it will need replaced eventually. I also replaced all the bolts and nuts with stainless steal ones.

Once it was all hooked back up the Jeep fired right up and idles really well. The next problem to surface was the throttle. It was stuck in place and I couldn't rev the engine at all. So I opened it up, sprayed it with some PB Blaster, move it around by hand a whole bunch and now it is good.

So of course it can't end on a happy note, now my brake system is bad. So I started a whole new thread for that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.