95 YJ wiring is all kludged together - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ wiring is all kludged together

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Other_Erik
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ wiring is all kludged together

Just started digging into the wiring in the new-to-me 95 YJ, and oh my sweet lordy jeebus. Speaker wire tied to a 3-way toggle for headlights/high beams, signal wires run to ground, exposed jumper spades, the list goes on. What in the blue bleeding eff? Is there a chassis rewire kit for the 95 like there is for the 87-91? I'm ready to chuck this heap!

Other_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

In this case, eBay is your friend. Find a salvage harness.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Painless offers a kit but it's pricey.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
Other_Erik
1995 YJ Wrangler 

$170 later, got a salvaged underdash full wiring harness (uncut), and a full grill/headlight/turn signal/etc harness (uncut).

Why do people insist on screwing with the wiring? the whole underside of the dashboard was one big fire hazard... 20A current running through speaker wire that's just been twisted and electrical taped, a 3-way toggle that had caught fire and melted at one point, and what I can only describe as a spaghetti clusterf*ck of a rats nest leading up toward the steering column. If you can't do the job right, at least go back and make it not look hideous. I just hope that _some_ of the factory connectors are still in-place and haven't been melted by this piss-poor wiring.

Anyone want in on the betting pool how many hours I'm going to spend un-f*cking the wiring, instead of doing productive/constructive work (like moving house)? Current pool options taken: 47 hours, 81 hours, 60 hours. That's a whole lot of time that I DONT have to spare right now... very frustrating

O_E

Last edited by Other_Erik; 06-10-2014 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: I repeat myself when I'm mad
Unread 06-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That wiring is as easy as it gets. To just replace it about 3 hours and a couple beers. Keep your head up....you will get it done.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
Other_Erik
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
That wiring is as easy as it gets. To just replace it about 3 hours and a couple beers. Keep your head up....you will get it done.
Appreciate the words of encouragement, but I'm pretty sure it'll take me three hours just to rip out the crap the previous owner left behind, not to mention the very real possibility of having to put new wire crimps and plugs on the factory ends - I very much doubt that wasn't EFFed with...

Thanks
O_E
Unread 06-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pull the old one, put the new one in. As long as you are not dealing with any kill switches the stock harness will get you going. Worry about any after market stuff later.
Unread 06-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Other_Erik
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pull the old one, put the new one in. As long as you are not dealing with any kill switches the stock harness will get you going. Worry about any after market stuff later.
No kill switches I could see but definitely re-routed headlight signals, relayed signal and/or power (thus the melted toggle switch), and god only knows what else. Harnesses are definitely hacked up and I'm going with non-salvageable just to be on the safe side. Who knows how much amperage he tried to push through 18-22awg? I'll be sure to put up a pic or two of the dipshi++ery this guy pulled, with before/after and maybe a special shot of the dodgy toggle with aftermath
Unread 06-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd like $20 on the under at the 47hr point.
Just breathe Erik, you'll be fine.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 05:55 AM   #10
Other_Erik
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
I'd like $20 on the under at the 47hr point.
Just breathe Erik, you'll be fine.
Thanks, I've definitely calmed down. It was just kind of a shock, being a journeyman electrician and seeing how awful the "wiring job" previous owner did. I know I was overreacting, but some of it was not just half-arse, it was downright dangerous. You don't put 12.5V/20A over 18AWG speaker wires...

I'm sure it won't take me long to replace the hacked-up harness, it's going to be the routing and looming and making sure the plugs haven't been re-pinned and whatnot. I'm expecting a big EFFing mess, hopefully it won't be as bad as I'm thinking...

Erik
Unread 06-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What do you mean.... the speaker wire makes a great fuseable link! Journeyman electrician, this is cake for you. You might want to take the time while you are under there and dielectric grease all the connectors while you do it. What circuit was 20 amp that he had speaker wire on?
Unread 06-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
Other_Erik
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What do you mean.... the speaker wire makes a great fuseable link! Journeyman electrician, this is cake for you. You might want to take the time while you are under there and dielectric grease all the connectors while you do it. What circuit was 20 amp that he had speaker wire on?
Pulled apart the rust holding the dash frame on, got most of the old hacked-up wiring harness pulled out, still have to disco the fuse panel upper screw before I can reroute the new salvage wiring. 14 man hours so far, mostly because of the old screws that'd turned to rust. If it weren't for the rust, would've been a single day job...

20A circuit over speaker wire was high beams and the 6" KC hilites' power, still trying to figure out how signal for high beans was supposed to be pushed, possibly through the wiring that melted off the back of the three-way toggle that had caught fire and melted before I picked up the YJ.

Starting to wish I'd just taken the 10k plunge right at the beginning and picked up the 95 auto 6cyl in gecko green that's for sale out of New Jersey... Am already about 7k into this one and nowhere close to as nice
Unread 06-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #13
Strickland1984
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ooch it's easy to get discouraged but once it's done you will be glad it's out of the way and loving your jeep. Sounds like you about have it whipped are you putting the dash back in or doing a custom dash of some kind
Strickland1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
Other_Erik
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland1984 View Post
Ooch it's easy to get discouraged but once it's done you will be glad it's out of the way and loving your jeep. Sounds like you about have it whipped are you putting the dash back in or doing a custom dash of some kind
Looking for someone local with a dash frame that isn't falling apart from rust damage. Next problem in this series is how to get the rest of these big torxhead bolts out of the frame. I've seen people blowtorch and use an easy-out to remove them, but that's way beyond my abilities. Went through about a half-dozen 7/64" drill bits just to get hole started deep enough to snap the heads off with a step drill bit.

I'm not discouraged, enjoying the challenge and loving teaching the girlfriend how to work on a vehicle (given my limited knowledge), but some of this is just beyond my expertise...

O_E
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can use a propane torch but there is locktite on some of those. Heat is your friend.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.